DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

Song 119: Every Breath You Take

Maybe I am starting this early (since February 2011 is going to be 1980s month), but we are going back to the 1980s, and two groups who had a successful time during this period. The song is Every Breath You Take, with the original by The Police, and UB40 doing the cover.

ORIGINAL: The Police

Ranked at #84 on the Rolling Stone list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, Every Breath You Take was released in 1983, spending 8 weeks at the top of the US Billboard and 4 weeks at the top of the UK charts. Written by Sting during the collapse of his marriage, many people mistake the song to be positive. Instead, the lyrics are the words of a sinister, controlling character, who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make".

vs.

COVER: UB40

UB40 are on the best selling groups in the world, with over 50 singles charting in the UK alone. For the nerds in you, the name of the band comes from issued to people claiming unemployment benefit - Unemployment Benefit, Form 40. I believe UB40 covered the song before 2004, but I can't confirm that. In 2004, UB40's version of the song appeared on the rom-com film 50 First Dates.

Voting ends Thursday 27th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 120: Lady Marmalade

Now, Lady Marmalade was made popular by Labelle in 1974, but it was not them who first recorded the song - I am not making that mistake again! That honour goes to Eleventh Hour. And the cover is by German singer Max Raabe.

ORIGINAL: The Eleventh Hour

Labelle released their version in December 1974. However, earlier in the year, it was recorded by Eleventh Hour. Lady Marmalade was written by Bob Crewe and Kenny Nolan. The song came about after Crewe made first-hand observations in New Orleans. Eleventh Hour were a group linked to Nolan, and the song was released on Eleventh Hour's Greatest Hits LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paZF23GgsZs

vs.

COVER: Max Raabe

The German singer Max Raabe is also the leader of the Palast Orchester, who specialize in recreating the sound of German dance and film music of the 1920s and 1930s. The orchestra was founded in 1986, with several albums and film appearances (mainly Raabe on his own). The orchestra have covered songs such as sBritney Spears' Oops!... I Did It Again, and Tom Jones' Sex Bomb in a 1920–30s band style, which is what they have applied to Lady Marmalade.

Voting ends Thursday 27th January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Wow! A staggering 8 people voted! Keep the good work up!

So, song 119, Every Breath You Take saw an easy 8-0 demolition for the original.

And song 120, Lady Marmalade was not quite so one-sided as song 119, with originals winning by 6 votes to 2.

Song 121: Like A Virgin

It looks like I am getting ready for our forthcoming 1980s month early! It's time for some more Madonna, with Like A Virgin, and a country-styled cover from Germany by Texas Lightning.

ORIGINAL: Madonna

Released in 1984, Like A Virgin comes from the album of the same name. It topped the US Billboard, with number 1s around the world; it only reached number 3 in the UK. The lyrics of the song are ambiguous, with plenty of hidden innuendo. Despite this, the song was very well received by critics, and many have credited the song as the one which cemented her place in the pop music scene. However, it did cause some controversy with family group as they believed it promoted sex without marriage.

vs.

COVER: Texas Lightning

Texas Lightning are a German quintet who describe themselves as "old fashioned and hip". Fighting into the country genre, they draw inspiration from both the world of country and pop, including Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette, ABBA and Madonna. They recorded their version of Like A Virgin in 2005. For Eurovision Song Contest buffs, they represented Germany in 2006 in Athens. Strangely, they also happen to be Honorary Texas Citizens - the motion was passed in June 2006.

Voting ends Monday 31st January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 122: Turn The Beat Around

Time to head to the 1970s for a disco classic - Turn The Beat Around by the late Vicki Sue Robinson. Gloria Estefan has done a famous cover, but I have opted for the first cover by Laura Branigan instead.

ORIGINAL: Vicki Sue Robinson

The disco song was written by Gerald Jackson and Peter Jackson. Vicki Sue Robinson released the song in 1976, where it reached number 10 on the US Billboard. The song is considered a disco classic and appears on many compilation albums. Robinson received a Grammy nomination for best female pop vocal.

With the video, it is either bad lip syncing, timing issues or just a bad video!

vs.

COVER: Laura Branigan

Covered in 1990, Laura Branigan was the first artist to cover the classic. It appeared on her first album. She never released the song as a single, but several remix versions were released to DJs and radio stations as promos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8CkMEKJZo

Voting ends Monday 31st January 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

I am agreeing with Krak - two votes for the Covers.

If one or two people want to host "Original vs. Cover" for a week, the week beginning Monday 7th February is up for grabs as I will be away due to work.

Time to wrap up the latest two songs...

Like A Virgin was song 121 - and it ended up as a 3-2 victory for Madonna over Texas Lightning.

However, we do have a winner in song 122, which featured the song Turn The Beat Around. Laura Branigan's cover defeated Vicki Sue Robinson's original by 3 votes to 2.

Time for the next two songs, which feature our February theme - the 1980s. And for those of you who are tempted to host "Original vs. Cover" in February (and other months), the link below might be useful.

LINK: http://www.inthe80s.com/covers/index.shtml

Song 123: The Boys of Summer

First up for our 1980s month is Don Henley's classic, The Boys of Summer. With several covers, I had plenty to pick from, and have opted to go with The Hooters.

ORIGINAL: Don Henley

Released in October 1984, The Boys of Summer reached number 5 on the US Billboard and number 12 in the UK. The song has a haunting rhythm and timbre throughout the intro, bridge, and verses. However, there is definitely a summery feel to the tune. While the song appears to be about the passing of youth and entering middle age, Henley told told The Rolling Stone magazine that it is more about aging and questioning the past. The song won Henley a Grammy Award for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhaGE7RlMrY

vs.

COVER: The Hooters

The Hooters are an American rock band, who combine a mix of rock and roll, reggae, ska and folk music. They formed in 1980, performing until 1995, before reforming in 2001. They recorded their version of The Boys of Summer for their 2007 album Time Stand Still, Prior to this, the group had performed it on numerous tours. Their version features mandolins, piano, acoustic guitars, and harmony vocals - it is a lot softer and slower than the original.

Voting ends Thursday 3rd February 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Song 124: Take My Breath Away

Time to head to 1986 (what a great year!) and another classic 1980s track - Take My Breath Away. From the film Top Gun, the original is by Berlin. Passing over Jessica Simpson's cover (it's abysmal, take my word for it!), I have gone Diana Ross' cover.

ORIGINAL: Berlin

Take My Breath Away is the name of the love song from the 1986 film Top Gun, starring Tom Cruise. The song was written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock, with Berlin, an American New Wave/Synthpop band, performing. It was a highly successful song, as it won the Academy Award for Best Original Song as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song in 1986. The song scored multiple top 5 hits across the world, including number 1 in the UK and US. It reached number 3 in 1990 when it was re-released. An iconic song from the 1980s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1LzIfL4PH0

vs.

COVER: Diana Ross

The Motown singer Diana Ross is probably best known as being the lead singer of The Supremes in the 1960s. After leaving The Supremes, she embarked on a solo career, as well as venturing into film and Broadway. A Best Actress Academy Award nomination was received for her 1972 role as Billie Holiday in Lady Sings the Blues, which also won her a Golden Globe. She has sold over 150 million records worldwide, won a Tony Award, and has had a string of Grammy Award nominations. Ross covered Take My Breath Away in 2007 as part of her US album I Love You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYZnDstl-oM

Voting ends Thursday 3rd February 2011 at 10pm (GMT)

Archived