DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 61: Dream A Little Dream Of Me

Next up, we are heading way back in time to the early 1930s for our original. We are looking at Dream A Little Dream Of Me. It was difficult who to pick as the cover - the famous "Mama" Cass Elliot version, a metal cover by Blind Guardian, or various similar covers by a variety of artists. Eventually, I settled for the metal version as it was the most different I could find.

ORIGINAL: Ozzie Nelson

Ozzie Nelson was an American entertainer and band leader who originated and starred in The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet radio and television series with his wife and two sons. He turned to music during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The band had numerous hits during their years of recording. Much of this was down to Nelson's calm, easy vocal style, which was popular on records and radio. Popularity was helped by the similar vocals of their son Ricke and Harriet's perky vocals.

vs.

COVER: Blind Guardian

Formed in the mid-1980s, Blind Guardian are a German metal group from Krefeld. They are often credited as one of the seminal and most influential bands in the power metal and speed metal subgenres. The lyrics of the group are heavily influenced by the world of fantasy, with the authors JRR Tolkien, Stephen King and Michael Moorcock being notable sources of inspiration. Over the years, a running theme has developed associating the band members with traveling bards. The group covered Dream A Little Dream Of Me for their 2007 single, Another Stranger Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjFUXPSEGAw

Voting ends Thursday 25th February 2010 at 10m (GMT)

It's part of the job description! ;) Now, I just need to convince my girlfriend to go with me...well, I do have the fact I am having to go to a Lord of the Rings orchestral show with her a few days later as a bargaining tool!  ;D

The second LotR orchestral show is coming up soon...hence why I am dragging her along to the Delain gig at the end of next month! I used the same leverage when I went to see Nightwish last year!

Song 62: Life On Mars

Song 62 is going to be my last for a while, as Krakalakachkn has kindly offered to do a couple of weeks of "Original vs. Cover". So I am going to finish on a high hopefully. Before Christmas, I was tempted to put a ukulele cover in, but opted for an "a cappella" version instead. Anyway, it is time for an ukulele cover of a David Bowie great - Life on Mars.

ORIGINAL: David Bowie

David Bowie, one of the true greats of the music industry. He has been recording for 5 decades now, and released Life on Mars in 1971. It peaked at number 3 in the UK charts, where it stayed for 13 weeks. It also reached number 55 in the UK charts 30+ years later, courtesy of the BBC drama called Life on Mars, which used the song as its theme tune.

vs.

COVER: The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain is a musical ensemble featuring ukuleles in different registers and a bass ukulele (an acoustic bass guitar). They were founded in 1985, and have toured the world, and even played at Glastonbury. Their gigs usually feature songs and instrumentals from all kinds of musical backgrounds - film, classical, rock.

Voting ends Monday 1st March 2010 at 10m (GMT)

Archived