DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right...I am wrapping this up early as it fairly obvious who the winner is. And I want to get this started at an early time on a Monday night.

So Shania Twain takes a commanding 7-0 victory for originals.

The next song is on the way.

Song 59: Smooth Criminal

The next song in "Original vs. Cover" sees the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, take on an Israeli jazz band with an easy-listening cover.

ORIGINAL: Michael Jackson

Smooth Criminal was the 7th single from the 1988 album, Bad. The song contains a fast-paced beat intertwined with Jackson's lyrics about a woman named Annie, who has been attacked in her apartment by a "smooth" assailant. It peaked at number 7 on the US billboard, and number 8 in the UK charts when released in 1988, and achieved further chart success following the death of Michael Jackson in 2009. The song was the centerpiece in Jackson's musical film Moonwalker. It also features the famous anti-gravity lean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDUbAgfrvU0

vs.

COVER: J.Viewz

J.Viewz is the electronica project of the Brooklyn-based Israeli Producer & Remixer Jonathan Dagan. They recorded a cover of Smooth Criminal in 2008, and released it on their Besides EP. The music video was released in February 2009. Dagan has also released numerous remixes of his version of Smooth Criminal.

Voting ends Thursday 18th February 2010 at 10m (GMT)

You know what I thought about it and I've decided to change my vote. unvote MJ

I'm voting [glow=red,2,300]AAF[/glow]!

Yeh I vote for Alien Ant Farm despite it not being an option!

Then your votes won't count...

As I am not counting Talmanes' and Imperium's votes, Michael Jackson extends originals lead with a 5-2 win.

Part of me was tempted to do Michael Jackson again, this time with Alien Ant Farm as the cover. Instead, I have gone for something is going to make you cringe!  ;D

Song 60: Weekend

After a bit of rebellion in the last "Original vs. Cover", I am leaving very little room for that this time. Next up is a late 1970's song from Earth and Fire, a Dutch group, and a cover/sample from Scooter, the German hard dance group. I'm sure you're going to love me after this!  ;D

ORIGINAL: Earth and Fire

Released in 1979, the song reached number 1 in a host of European countries, which were the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark and Portugal. The group was formed by brothers Chris and Gerard Koerts in 1968, and the 1970s was their most successful period. They had many chart topping hits in the Dutch charts, but their music never quite made it to England or the Americas.

vs.

COVER: Scooter

Like marmite, you either love or hate Scooter. It's not a cover in the true sense, but the chorus from the original features. Their version features some rather interesting lyrics, for example, "Respect to the man in the ice cream van", a reference to the KLF. It was a top 10 hit across large parts of Europe, but not the UK - it only made 12. And it is an interesting video, which was censored in the multimedia part of the CD single released in Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_1FOAxzNA

Voting ends Monday 22nd February 2010 at 10m (GMT)

Archived