DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t.A.T.u. as well. While the other group has novelty factor, it is complete and utter tripe!

Also, as always, if you are interested in hosting "Originals vs. Covers" for a week, please drop me a PM before Monday 11th January 2010 and I will let you know what to do. Remember, if you host the thread for a week, it counts as an activity towards points gained via the roll call (if you are a Bander).

Song 48: Whenver Wherever

Time to go Latin with Shakira and an acoustic cover by Mundy of Whenver Wherever, the first single from Shakira's first English album.

ORIGINAL: Shakira

Shakira is one of Colombia's biggest exports and burst onto the European music scene in 2001. She was already big stuff in Columbia and Latin America as far back as the early 1990s. She is quite a talented singer, being able to sing in 5 different languages, including Classical Arabic. She is well known for her dancing - that is some belly dancing and those hips sure don't lie! It was a massive number 1 hit across the world and launched Shakira's career outside of Latin America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvUFUCJXE6Y

vs.

COVER: Mundy

Mundy is an Irish singer-songwriter. He released his first album in 1996, which featured To You I Bestowfrom the bestselling soundtrack to Baz Luhrmann's film adaptation Romeo + Juliet. Mundy covered Shakira's single in 2003 for the album Even Better than the Real Thing Vol. 1, but switched the song title around to Wherever, Whenever.

Voting ends Thursday 14th January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Song 50: Clocks

We reach a milestone today with the 50th song going up for the vote in "Originals vs. Clocks". Today sees a global band who went to the same university as I did (and I believe I could have sat in the same seat as their lead singer as we were in the same department...just a few years apart), and a Scottish group of rock pipers!

ORIGINAL: Coldplay

Coldplay are an international known UK alternative rock group. Some people view them as depressing, but that style of music seems popular. The song is built around a repeating piano riff, and features cryptic lyrics of contrast and urgency themes. The song reached number 9 in the UK charts back in 2003.

vs.

COVER: The Red Hot Chilli Pipers

A group of Scottish rock pipers! The ensemble consists of pipers, guitarists, keyboards, and drummers and formed in Scotland in 2004. The group are demand across the whole world, and have a few world class members amongst them. Their cover is an instrumental version, and has a much more positive feel than the Coldplay original.

Voting ends Monday 18th January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

It did appear a long time ago - can't remember who posted it. Anyway, I thought it might be an idea to revisit it.

I like the Red Hot Chilli Pipers version, but deep down, I am a huge Coldplay fan - and it has nothing to do with going to the same university! lol!

Song 51: The Tide Is High

Well, I was mistaken about who did the original here! The original contains true Caribbean feel through Jamaican singer John Holt, while Blondie cover it is a reggae/ska style.

ORIGINAL: John Holt & The Paragons

The original was written in 1967, and performed by The Paragons with John Holt as lead singer. In Jamaica, it was released as an A-side single and proved very popular, but got relegated to B-side of Only a Smile in the UK. The song features the violin of "White Rum" Raymond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rwSPmT3ujU

vs.

COVER: Blondie

The song was forgotten until Blondie has a trans-Atlantic hit with the song, scoring numbers 1 in the US and the UK. Released in 1980, Blondie added their reggae/ska style to the song, and featured horns and strings as well. It was Blondie's last number 1 single until 1999!

Voting ends Thursday 21st January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived