DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Retail Anonymous

ThorkinBarrimore

Combination customer rage/customer fail:

I used to work in a lumber yard. One day we had a customer come in who made a large act of not being able to understand English very well, and thus refused to listen when repeatedly told that he had to go inside and get a receipt before he could load any of the wood. After ten minutes, I finally decided to just load the guy up, write up what he had, and send him inside, just so he would get the hell out of my yard and leave me alone.

After he checks out and leaves, the head book-balancer came out and started laying into me because the man was far over his store credit limit, and that I should have sent him inside, and that I was a horrible person who probably ate babies (all three statements were true to some extent). She was pacified slightly by my insistence that I had sent the man inside, but he had refused (granted, it took the other yard lackeys testimonies to help with that.)

Then, as she was out there laying into me, the guy drove back into the yard with nothing in his truck.

Getting out of the vehicle, he waved me over, and in clear and unconfused English, said, "My stuff came out on the road. You need to come with me and pick it up."

I didn't even hide the grin on my face when I said, "I'm sorry, but the moment you left the yard, it was no longer our responsibility, and even if I was inclined to help you, I can't leave the yard unless I'm on a delivery. Have a nice day."

He glared, then got in his truck and left. Finance Person asked me what he had wanted, and I told her. There was a moment's break while this information processed, then she started laughing, and she left the yard.

• Club Leader

Oh, and who started the rumour that if something doesn't scan then it

"must be free?" When has that ever meant that? I think I hear that

about a million times a day. They lied to you!

A little history lesson for you:

When scanners first came out, that was the rule. If it didn't scan or scanned at the wrong price, it was free. This went a long way toward helping the public get used to scanners. Naturally, they were resistant at first.

And no, I am NOT old enough to remember this. My mother told me. :P

I kind of want to find out where you work, drive there, buy a big ass plant, slam it down all wet and dripping on your counter, and yell "Scan my plant bitch!"

LMAO! Oh yeah? Bring it on! Muhahaha! :sleep:

I wouldn't tell him who I was either. Then I'd wait until he ranted on this thread and be like, YOU JUST BEEN KRAKED MOTHERF***A!!!

We'd have to settle it in a duel of some kind. :darkone:

You'd make an interesting customer.

I didn't know that Lily. *Googles*

Guest Czechs In The M'Hael

Nothing to lose therefore I am dangerous, that made my hour-and-a-half! Hahahahaha

*Turns items around searching for barcode*

Customer: Uh oh, I guess that means this one is free! *Big cheesy grin*

Me: Nope, just means the barcode doesn't scan so now we'll have to

wait for a while until they can get me the item number. *Smiles inside*

*Customer looks at the 9 other people looking at them with irritated

expressions and their cheesy smile evaporates*

I live for moments like these.

And I can totally see where the customer rage comes from. I worked in Retail a few years back, one time I was serving customers and it was completely in the peak rush hour phase, massive queues at every outlet, and I get this woman putting her shopping on the conveyor thingy. Naturally in situations like these you assume they have the observational skills to realize it would be the done thing to fill their own bags, but nooo. The woman actually got irritated and threw a carrier bag at me, and on the offchance a corner of the carrier bag managed to hit me in the eye! Most humiliating thing ever.

It is situations like that that cause spontaneous combustion, I am sure of it. I seriously, seriously wanted to shriek "DIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!" at her through the tannoy.

Hope it pulls through for you Moonie :)

Guest Czechs In The M'Hael

Thanks! :biggrin:

Throwing it back would have been hilarious, however the thing that concerned me at the time was how ridiculous it would have looked to the other customers if I tried to throw it back and failed when she had succeeded. I dunno about you, but Im the kind of guy that doesnt think to screw the bag up beforehand in the heat of the moment, t'would have been just my luck for it to look as pansy as throwing a flat sheet of paper at someone, so I didnt bother.

Funny as hell though, just not at the time :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The nice thing about Walmart is that if I had customers like that, I could hand them off to a manager to deal with. I never did have anyone that bad, though.

Unfortunately our store is so small (literally only 6 regular employees plus our manager) that we usually only have 2 people on hand at a time, and my boss is hardly ever there. He manages 3 stores, most managers in the company can only handle one, and he manages 2 of the three busiest stores in the company, plus another one, but we are pretty self-sufficient so we function pretty well without seeing him regularly. The sucky part is just that when we have pissy customers, we don't have a boss to pass them off on, I am the person in charge on a regular basis now.

Also, our store is right up the street from our corporate office, so my bosses boss (who is basically a huge jerk) likes to stop in, a lot, and tell us everything that we're doing wrong. :rolleyes:

Oh, and who started the rumour that if something doesn't scan then it

"must be free?" When has that ever meant that? I think I hear that

about a million times a day. They lied to you!

A little history lesson for you:

When scanners first came out, that was the rule. If it didn't scan or scanned at the wrong price, it was free. This went a long way toward helping the public get used to scanners. Naturally, they were resistant at first.

And no, I am NOT old enough to remember this. My mother told me. :P

I also didn't know this, so it makes sense for cute older people to make a joke about it. However, snobby 16 year old bratty girls don't have any excuse, since I had no idea that was ever the case, so they can't use it.

Electronics.

And i'm making a whole 25 cents an hour above what i made at BBV.

My mother and brother both work at walmarts (one in Georgia, one in FLorida). So, it's a weird family thing now, i guess.

Yes, I go into orientation tomorrow.

My drug test results were back within 2 hours of me going into the in-store clinic.

And today, while I was out getting a new social security card, the other job I interviewed at called back (Best Buy).

Now, if I could only wave a wand and get Mr. Moon a job too.

*pulls her braid*

Archived