DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The 100 weaves

theradave

If this has been previously discussed, please point me to the correct thread, as my search came up blank. Thanks.

I am now listening to the Gathering Storm as a "re-read" and had a thought on the 100 weaves the Aes Sedai must complete during the testing for the shawl. Throughout the books they are described as "needlessly complex" for small effect. The stated reason for this complexity is that Aes Sedai must maintain calm under stressful situations, and performing these complex weaves demonstrates the requisite calm.

But, then I got thinking. Maybe there is another reason the weaves are complex. Could they be used as parts to a whole, and "assembled" into something that is needfully complex? (As a side question, can channeling even work that way?) Something like, oh, I don't know, part of a seal to the DO's cell?

What do you think?

Sounds fun; I know that there's a theory that the 100 weaves could be instrumental to the Sealing of the Bore. Imo, it just ain't gonna happen- there's 1 book left and too much centred around Callandor for them to be useful. If you're right, my money's on Nynaeve to use 'em :smile:

I always thought they were just like a PT or a quiz before a big test or practice before a game :). Interesting though, that a weave would have been seperated into 100 different weaves and once put together something major and possibly dangerous.

The other thing the 100 weaves have in common, other than being useless and complicated, is that they're relatively harmless if done wrong. It might be that the complexity is either what makes them that way, or a side-effect of it, or simply why they were chosen in the first place.

I was re-reading ToM recently, and I remembered an excellent section before Rand's meeting with the Borderlanders where he tells Cadsuane she can call him Rand Sedai because he is the only male Aes Sedai still alive who was properly raised and never turned to the shadow. The relevant part here is that he says he was properly raised. Keep in mind this is in the same book that we see the raising of Nynaeve (the only raising we see in the books). Does this juxtaposition suggest that the raising is the same now as it was before? So maybe the 100 weaves are something they knew / practiced in the Age of Legends, so it's nothing to do with sealing the breach.

I was re-reading ToM recently, and I remembered an excellent section before Rand's meeting with the Borderlanders where he tells Cadsuane she can call him Rand Sedai because he is the only male Aes Sedai still alive who was properly raised and never turned to the shadow. The relevant part here is that he says he was properly raised. Keep in mind this is in the same book that we see the raising of Nynaeve (the only raising we see in the books). Does this juxtaposition suggest that the raising is the same now as it was before? So maybe the 100 weaves are something they knew / practiced in the Age of Legends, so it's nothing to do with sealing the breach.

If Rand is the only Aes Sedai who was properly raised, then I would say that it suggests that the raising isn't the same now as it was before.

If Rand is the only Aes Sedai who was properly raised, then I would say that it suggests that the raising isn't the same now as it was before.

Male Aes Sedai. Though I don't think the 100 weaves were a part of it any more than the Oath Rod would be.

In Path of Daggers it is mentioned that a woman can only truly learn one weave for a special activity - and will have problems with other weaves of that kind. One example of this is most likely Aviendha and Traveling the Egwene way, as she had already used another weave when she fleed Rand.

It could be that because of the 100 complex weaves the normal Aes Sedai won't be able to do something that all the "wilders" can easily do.

"I was re-reading ToM recently, and I remembered an excellent section before Rand's meeting with the Borderlanders where he tells Cadsuane she can call him Rand Sedai because he is the only male Aes Sedai still alive who was properly raised and never turned to the shadow. The relevant part here is that he says he was properly raised. Keep in mind this is in the same book that we see the raising of Nynaeve (the only raising we see in the books). Does this juxtaposition suggest that the raising is the same now as it was before? So maybe the 100 weaves are something they knew / practiced in the Age of Legends, so it's nothing to do with sealing the breach."

-navahgar

(sorry. Don't know how to quote)

I think I also remember Nynaeve breaking the rules during the test and saving the "fake" people's lives. Maybe this is actually the correct way to be raised to Aes Sedai status. It would prove that you are a servant of all, no matter how dangerous or difficult the task actually is. Just a thought.

I thoguht that it was rj having a laugh at how they make all these useless weaves to get into a useless association

haha lol, nah maybe they are something more as explained but I don't think they are cause the explanation is a good one in my eyes ;)

Archived