DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Final Fantasy, anyone?

Rosée

I was working on XII when I was in Greece for summer and we didn't have any internet so I couldn't look up how to do any of it! Almost drove me crazy when I was stuck in the temple trying to find that damn Sword of Kings. And when I finally got to the right spot the Boss randomly appeared and annihilated me..

I think though that the only time I felt it was really a necessity to get some help was for FFX to get the Celestials and against the Dark Aeons.

-Ambushed-

-Overdrive-

Game Over..

T_T

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FF games have always been a very... pro strategy guide type game, its not cheating, its almost a neccisity to not die alot. ;)

As for demon's souls you should have at least 'beat' it once, and offline if neccissary.

Its fun because when you beat it.

Its... well you just can't get over that feelign of actual Accomplishment. ;)

Actually, other than end bosses and optional bosses (Shinryu, Emerald Ruby and Omega Weapons, Arena Monsters in FFX) You really don't need any strategy at all, though it helps. If you grind enough, you can steamroll just about anything (though again, optional enemies usually require very specific patterns). Tactics and VIII might be exceptions, since Tactics is very 'certain things just work better than others' and III like Oblivion has everything scale in levels with you.

In XIII, in the early chapters, they limit how far you can progress, so you can't even grind your way through. In Chapter 5, Lightning and Hope can only get to level 2 on the Crystal Sphere So I'd say out of all of them, it's probably the one that you need a strategy guide for the most.

As for Demon's Souls, I played as a Soldier. With a spear, I found almost all minions without projectile weapons were cake, but most of the bosses were a nightmane. Phalanx and Armor Spider went down easy, the Red Dragon and Tower Knight I literally couldn't defeat. The strategy guides didn't help much, as I shot the Red Dragon in the eye (or close to it) 500 times and he didn't die (after I'd spent days grinding souls to buy arrows) and it says to get behind the Tower Knight or shoot him when he charges his beam attack, but I had no arrows left and he turns and shield bashes so quickly I literally couldn't stay behind him long enough to land any hits. A friend even recommended getting a Blue Soul to help me beat them, so I used up my last Res item and set up a Blue Soul sign. I waited for hours and couldn't get anyone to join. I tried several times over the next few days and still no luck.

Most of my deaths were due to falling, and after I fell into a pit with thousands of souls I'd ground to buy arrows with, I just gave up. Games are supposed to be fun and every moment I spend playing DS I was miserable.

I've heard a little bit about Demon's Soul's, but not much. I have heard about the difficulty, but also that it was rewarding. I can't find much info on how the game actually 'plays' though, or what kind of level up system it uses. Apparently some of you guys have played it, care to shed any light on what kind of game it is?

tif

• Community Administrator

I've heard a little bit about Demon's Soul's, but not much. I have heard about the difficulty, but also that it was rewarding. I can't find much info on how the game actually 'plays' though, or what kind of level up system it uses. Apparently some of you guys have played it, care to shed any light on what kind of game it is?

tif

Hack and Slash on the conservative end.

Aka,

Gods of War = Over extreme button smash hack and slash.

This is more, hit once, twice, back off.

Its third person.

The leveling up system is simple.

You require X souls to upgrade a stat, so say I have 10 strength I can upgrade it using X souls to 11 strength. And I go up 1 level.

Some of the bosses cheat as far as I'm concerned.

I could never beat that damned dragon at the end of the game, so I grabbed a blue soul to help me.

All the rest I killed on my own.

The tower knight, easiest way is with arrows. :P

On the ground it gets a little more tricky. You litterally have to play the perfect game. One screw up = dead.

Well, even if you do kill it, you get to meet the dragon god who 1-shots you. (no way around it)

I havent even managed to hit the prologue boss when I try it! :P

Infact, when you meet him again in 4-1 (I believe thats it) I just snipe him from the wall. ^_^

Haha, never play Xenosaga then, bad company. You would hate it...once a cut-scene started, I used to just put down the controller and get into bed so I could watch...lonnggggg cut-scenes.

Funnily enough I picked up Xenosaga 2 for PS2 ages ago and never got around to playing it.

Cutscenes in themselves aren't the issue but the way they were handled in 13 was really not the smart way to do it.

I did hate in 10 when you died on a boss and had to watch the cutscene again, same as in kingdom hearts 1.

FF12 did have a decent battle system just not what the fans were looking for, the real time aspect system fitted with the game, even if the voice acting was a little spotty and the character modeling was poor. Played a bit of Infinte Undiscovery, the first thoughts I had before even starting a new game was that it reminded me exactly like FF12, and the confusing mess of cutscene to in game dialogue where one is in badly synched and poorly performed voice actors to subtitles while the character is still talking in game. It seems like they couldn't make up their mind and it has the same map system as 12, less control of your partners and ugly character modelling.

Yeah, so it seems like Demon Souls is not for me. Was never a fan of God of War, so a harder God of War with less enemies and less room for error, probably ='s not my thing.

I have to say I enjoyed 12 as well. I really wasn't a fan of the story (which most people raved about) but I dug the battle system (which most people hated). I especially hated the ending. It just kinda went 'thunk' to me. No real emotion. The battle system was neat though. I like the strategy involved in setting up what people are going to do. I've always wanted to have that in like, every rpg I've ever played, hehe. I love it in Dragon Age as well, although I hate that in both games you just didn't start out with everything you needed. Why do I only get new tactics slots when I level in DA, and why did I have to find them and buy them in FF? As I got more abilities, my options increased, so the amount of options I have is linear to that fact. I don't think you need artificial roadblocks in a system like that, yet the only two games I know of to implement such a system had them. Still, like I said before, if every RPG could have the ability for me to assign what everyone should do when, under what circumstance, I'd be a happy camper!

tif

The gambit system was a huge sticking point for alot of people, it either gave alot of freedom or made it so you only have to move the characters around. Personally I used it minimally for healing, revival and beserk/libra.

The story was one of the weaker ones for FF and I skipped most cutscenes since I had no interest in them.

Demon souls I haven't played but it sounds like one of those games that I would swear my head off at since games tends to set off my temper a bit

Oh yeah. Demon's Souls has a lot of swearing if you're that kinda gamer. Even I occasionally got up, sighed, and turned off my PS3 for a bit before coming back. Its fun though.

Yea, there have been times, I have wanted to put the ps3 through a wall because of Demon's Souls.

Not that its a bad thing.

I mean, if your into boxing for instance, play a little demon's souls, FAIL massively, and you should have no issues turning a 'punching bag' into dust. :P

I think though that the only time I felt it was really a necessity to get some help was for FFX to get the Celestials and against the Dark Aeons.

-Ambushed-

-Overdrive-

Game Over..

T_T

Hahaha I remember those Dark Aeons. The ammount of preparation you had to do just to even stand a chance was ridiculous. Auto Pheonix on your armor, buy as many pheonix down thingys as can be bought, super uber Aeon increase using those things you use on the Sphere Grid? (may be getting mixed up, but I know you could raise your Aeons stats)

Just used to annoy so much that Yuna had to be in the party to summon. I managed to kill all the lesser Dark Aeons, the horse and Ifrit and that bird thingy and a few others I believe. Dark Anime was the last one I managed to take down, after that I just couldnt do any more. Them Dark Sisters were RIDICULOUS. They make like Ruby AND Emerald Weapons from 7 look like they should and could have been fought at once.

Btw, Emerald Weapon could be killed without Knights of Round OR Underwater Materia. Did anyone else do it?

All you needed to do to beat anything in FF10 was pay Yojimbo enough money so that you'd be guaranteed he'd use his instant-kill attack (Zanmato?). I think it was 100,000 gil per attack to be sure. I used to just grind money in the omega caverns. Too easy.

I got to disc 3 of FFVII last night. So close to finishing the game, and I really want to start VIII, but I also want to get all the master materia this time, and beat Emerald and Ruby Weapons. So maybe by the end of the month...Prob not, LOL.

All you needed to do to beat anything in FF10 was pay Yojimbo enough money so that you'd be guaranteed he'd use his instant-kill attack (Zanmato?). I think it was 100,000 gil per attack to be sure. I used to just grind money in the omega caverns. Too easy.

Bahh lame :P

I managed to do it though. Had to play for hours trying to collect enough str spheres, def spheres, agility and all but I managed hehe. Worst was Dark Bahamut though by far <_>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived