DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mortal Kombat

Red2111

have to say i'm utterly suprised no one has made a thread abotu this game comming up.

mortal_kombat_9-500x542.jpg

i've already pre-ordered mine for the PS3 so i can also play as Kratos. release date for the USA if April 19th, and it's for the PS3 & 360 only.

list of characters are (copied from Wiki)

With Kratos formthe God of War series being a special playable character for the PS3 version only.

there will be LOTS of blood, guts & gore. plus the tradition old school finishers. they've dropped alot of the corney "atalities" that they added after the original 3 games. and from what i've read, they've also gone back to the original combo style of fighting (not the logarythmic memory killing style the addapted the last few games in this sereis)

there will be the traditional termanent style fighting that the original game had; but is also goign to have a campaign mode similar to the later games like Shalin Monks. there will also be DLC as well.

whose excited about this!!!

I'm happy to see Baraka on that list - he was always one of my favorite characters - less so with regards to pointless losers like Kabal, Nightwolf, and especially Stryker. I remember when winning a Stryker Award was like getting a Golden Razzie. Also amused in a head-shaking way to see that Mileena still needs double-stick tape and a minor miracle to keep her outfit on during a fight. All the gameplay videos have looked pretty sharp so far; I can't possibly be any worse at this one than I was at every other MK game.

I wouldn't know. I... kind of haven't played any MK games since MK4.

At least that way I was spared Zombie Liu Kang :rolleyes: MK3's Friendships and Babalities and such were not the end of the stupidity in the series.

• 3 weeks later...

so a few days ago i picked up a 3 pack of older MK games at walmart for $20. it had Deception, Armagedon & Shalin Monks in it!!! haven't opened it, but i've heard all 3 of those games have a good campaign/story mode in them; and alll are console co-op which is great!!!

so i'm getting my copy of the new MK game tonight!!! gonna tear up some butt with Kratos :baalzamon:

one word.

E....P....I...C....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is SOOOOOO much to do in this game. fight mode allows you to pick a character and you have a tiny story line to go with it including an opening scene and closing scene that gives developement to the character.

the tournament fight is sooo retro to MK3 its unreal; and the graphics are outstanding on the PS3. while theres a lack of a game book wit the game, the moves list for each character is easy to find in the start menu, to include their special moves. 1 Fatality is open with 3 more needing to be unlocked. ones a normal Fatality, and i know they have a stage Fatality as well; i'm unsure what the 3rd one is, but look forward to finding out. it also has console co-op for up to 4 people in the fighting.

the blood/gore amount is perfect, it's not over done by any means like some previous MK games; and as you fight in tournaments with a character the blood splatter from hits stays on him. the stages themselves are retro too; i recognized alot of them from the first 3 games, to include the pit, Khan's and Guro's levels as well as Reptiles.

the game is also 3d capable, which i could see the x-ray aspect being relaly awesome to see that in; and also probably shows that Sony is planning to make a 3d capable console soon.

as mentioned, the xray feature is outstanding and addes a new dimension, and feel to the game and is a greatly needed addition considering the type of game MK always has been. it just fits!

they've also got a Tower mode, which show cases different moves needed to do on a time base to move up; i've gotten through 30 so far and am enjoying the challenges alot.

i have yet to play story mode; instead i'm getting a feel for the long loved characters, the fighting & combos, and just enjoying a good retro feeling MK game i grew up loving. i'm sure Bubba & i will be getting into the story mode this weekand; both him & i have off friday so thats probably gonna be all we have planned :baalzamon:

and Kratos .... *sigh* Kratos feels like a long lost brother to the MK cast :wub: so if given the choice between the PS3 or 360 version, i HIGHLY suggest the PS3 version guys

I love-LOVE!-the bonecrushing element to it. Also I really like how powerful the characters seem to be now. Back in the old days each one had two or three special moves, but some of the combos you can rack up... Ive never seen a beatemup where you can toy with your enemy to such a degree.

Awesome! And I thought the spirit of MK had died... clearly not.

not only that but each fighter is equally hard to beat. it used to be you could win a tournament easily using a combo of the special moves + upper cut (ie: Scorpions Spear + uppercut/ repeat) but now the IA is a bit smarter and there is not easily defeated character *nods* which makes it very nice.

i was always an uppercut, button masher, queen; but trying it in this game, you will get no where fast. you actually have to learn the combos to defeat alot of the opponents in the tourney fights; and the combos are nice & simplistic with a natural feel; not spanning more than 5 or 6 button combos.

the only thing i have to say, is that doing the combos is easier with the D pad. it could be because i'm an old style gammer and grew up on the D pad with the MK games. anyone else find this to be true??

also, the x-ray is not a sure thing; i've been blocked MANY times by the UPC characters. and some x-ray hits give alot more damage than others. like Goru's; it takes about half your damage which sucks. also, the top 3 in each tourney bracket, apparently ti wont let you do finishers on them

Yeah, bosses that defy the normal rules are so annoying they make me want to try twisting the joypad! Grrr

Also you made me laugh with the uppercut reference because that was always my favorite one hit move, with backwards circle or whatever it is now to do a roundhouse high up there as well. Uppercut, roundhouse, sweep, used to be the non-specials I used the most. :biggrin:

And I miss the days when you could sweep the enemy like six times in a row with no interruptions hahahaha

And another thing I like about this one is it has Scorpion and Sub-Zero on the main screen, they were always my favorite characters. "Get over here!" ... Uppercut. Always followed by an uppercut!

Archived