DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Looking for a new game

ineedfourberfs

Note, New just means I've never played it.

I'm looking for a strategy game of some description, in one of two veins:

It could either go for complete empire management, Master of Orion 3 style, dominate the universe... needs a lot of customization though, I need to tinker. It needs diplomancy, needs to be enjoyable single player...needs to have some depth.

On the other end of the scale, I could really go for some Dawn of War style tactical unit strategy, I LOVE Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander with the simplicity of it but varied unit choices...

ACtually you know what? If anyone can find me how to get Dune 2 working on Windows 7, I'd send them lots of money.

What Strategy games are you into? Help a brother out!

• Community Administrator

Have you considered Shogun 2: total war? Its not quite as tinkery as some, but there is definately diplomacy that actually works.

On the other hand, I know an RPG with RTS elements but its a pain to find.

"Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul"

Theres also,

Sins of a Solar Empire

Galactic Civ

Star Ruler

Then theres games like

Dungeons

Evil Genius

Dungeon Keeper

well i can recomend some RPGs for you. (first i'll list them, then below i've given a few synopsis's. if you're interested in a game i've listed and want me to give you the DL on it i'll be happy to)

- .hack//G.U. Series

- Infinate Undiscoveries

- Dynasty Warriors 6 (& Empires)

- N3II: Ninty-Nine Nights

- God of War Trilogy

- Dantes Inferno

- Darksiders

- Zelda: Twighlight Princess

- Heavenly Sword

- FF

- Elderscrolls

- Fate

- Fable 2

- Marvel Ultimate Alliance

- Batman Arkham Asylum

now if you have a PS2, or backwards compatable PS3 then i know the perfect game for you if you can find it

its a trilogy, you can play each game as a stand alone, but i suggest playing from the first one due to the storyline

256px-Cover-dothackGU.jpg

its the 2nd installment. the other two games are ".hack//G.U: Reminisce" and ".hack//G.U: Redemption" the original installment was for the PS, i've tried it but the game play and graphics are too old school for me to get into on the PS3 :blush: i've heard the original 4 part game is just as great as GU.

the series is based off a Manga & Anime series, its based in Japan centering aroudn on Online virtual community called "the World". the basis for the plot is that the game evolves internally and starts causeing it's players to fall into coma's IRL. GU takes place after the 1st game, so your playing in "The World 2.0".

you play as a set character called Haseo; but you end up building a party of about 14 different character by the end of the game. you can go Solo in the dugeons or you can add up to 2 other NPC characters to go with you. its got lots of customization, as well as an Alchemy station which allows for weapon, Armor and accessory upgrades. you can also upgrade all the NPC who you can put in your party. the fighting is also free flowing (not turn based) and you can set each of your party members to do a specific fighting style (health, free range, magic, rage). with Haseo, he's able to eventually equip 3 different types of weapons.

you've got quests that you can do, a search & find type mission for 5 different town based NPC's; a fighting arena/collsium area as well. aside from the 2 towns you can go to, there are also dungeons where you go to level up your character. theres two types of dungeons, ones an actual Dungeon the other is a grass land dungeon.

aside from "the World" the game also allows you to access Haseo's person CPU screen. on this you can veiw "news" about Haseo's world, recieve and send emails to the NPCs you react with and ther eis also a card game thats like the game "Magic" available in Vol. 2. i never played the Krimson Vs. game, so i have no clue on how it works or the specs of it.

the story line is also good, theres a handfull of cut scenes; but not as many as say FF. it's still a very involving and enjoyable storyline *nods*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

theres the Dynasty Warriors 6 series. this is for both the 360 & the PS3

theres two games

250px-DW6.jpgDynasty_Warriors_6_Empires_cover.jpg

the first one is just DW6, the other is called "Empires" for both games, the basic concept of the games are you follow three kingdoms in Fudle China who are competing for ultimate domination. you have about 15 differnet characters with their own story lines to play as. some story lines intermingle, but very few are repeats as it takes the character's pov into account depending on who your playing as at the time. the combat system is hack & slash free flowing (i detest turn based fighting styles) and with each level you have goals to meet to complete the level and lots of enemys to mow through. it's also got an on console Co-Op feature which is great if you don't connect your consoles to the networks.

Empires is more of a "Civilazation" style game. we're your entire aim is to literally conquor the area map, rather than play through individual characters story lines. you can be a floating mecernary typoe character, a general or a ruler; and each of those options allow for the toehrs (ie: you could step down as ruler, or rise through the ranks as a grunt). it has a storyline feature to it, as you can pick any of the characters from DW6 to play as and some have in game aliiances and enemys.

each can be played as a seperate game; your dont have to have one to play the other. the only down side is that it's lacking in the customization & upgrade field.

no Strike Force is a different game Red.

The original Dynasty Warriors 6 came out before Empires and Strikeforce came out after Empires and isn't labelled as 6 anywhere on the box.

Dungeon Keeper...what a game!

Bile Demons FTW

:blink: i'll have to look to see if i have strikeforce or just the DW6 when i get home then :cool:

Edit - actually, no i dont. i wanted to get Strikeforce, but never did. i heard it was basically like Fable. i know you pick a character and basicaly look at a board which has a bunch of quests on it to level up you character; but had heard there was little to no storyline involved.

not sure on the customization or equipment screen though.

either way, i've changed it in my synopisis.

Thanks Red, a lot of quality submissions there. I've played DW a few years back, pure hack and slash with item upgrades as a nice carrot. It's probably changed a bit. I love me a bit of Risk, and Dawn of War, so choose your own territory conquering type of thing is right up my alley.

I'm on XBOX 360 though, So i'll check the interwebs for availability. Just checked OP, I'll go with I'll check EB games for a copy shortly :P

I really REALLY love AoE 2, took AoE original and added all good stuff. Regicide ftw! What is 3 like?

Sinister, You've recomended quality games in the past. I'll do my wikipedia research tomorrow. I think I might already have Sins lying around on DVD somewhere :o

Just throwing it out there: you probably tried this but did you try installing Dune and running it in compatibility mode for...whatever OS that was when it came out? It doesn't work all the time, but it does work sometimes. That game frustrated the life out of me, mostly because of the final stage. I had to get lucky to finally beat it. Twice, I thought I had it beat, and then the opposition regenerated enough towers to keep the Fremen that kept spawning after the spice ran out from taking over.

I have a couple of friends who are going crazy over a Steam game called Mount and Blade, it's a combo of mounted combat and strategy. Haven't played it myself, but I trust them both.

If you want a really crazy strategy game (though diplomacy doesn't really play into it), try Dwarf Fortress. It's incredibly complex and really, impossible to win, because the game just keeps continuing with no cut off date. It's not a high graphics thing either, ascii stuff or very simple graphics. It's a huge map, totally random, and it goes all the way down to hell. Literally. It's a difficult game to get into (it takes ages to get used to the controls and to get an idea of what might lead to a more or less stable fortress), but if you do, it's one of the single most addictive things I've EVER run across. I got out of it before I got too far in, as I can only really afford one or two time wasters at a time and that one...sheesh.

nah, DW haven't changed much. still a hack & slash. seeing that you only have a 360, i'll tweak the list for you a bit

- Infinate Undiscoveries

- Dynasty Warriors 6 (& Empires)

- N3II: Ninty-Nine Nights

- Dantes Inferno

- Darksiders

- Heavenly Sword

- FF

- Elderscrolls

- Dragon Age

- Fable 2

- Sacred 2

- civilization

- Marvel Ultimate Alliance (1 & 2)

- Batman Arkham Asylum

all of those are either 360 specific, or have games for both systems. out of the ones listed, i'd relaly recomend Elder Scrolls & Dragon Age for you. (theres also the new Civilazation game that came out as well) as well as FF is you can stand the turn-based fight style (i've added a few more to the list btw)

Edlerscrolls: Oblivion is the one out right now; the next one "Skyrim" is due to launch this year. its a free world RPG, with a decent story line, many characters to choose from and the customization is literally endless. Dragon Age is the same, and DA 2 is also set to come out this year. you have side quests and a main quest as well in both. these are the main ones i'd actually recomend for you

FF & Infinate Undiscovers are similar imo. IU has a slash free style combat system, while FF is turn based *yuck* but both have a great storyline, and alot of customizable options in them.

Fable 2 & Sacred 2 are kinda similar. both are open world RPG's, that have a main story line, free flow combat system, a small customization ability, and lots of side quests. the differences between the two is that Fables main story is better, while with Sacred you have different classs of characters to chose from.

N3II is alot like DW. so there you shoudl know what to expect.

Inferno, Darksiders, & Heavenly are all similar to God of War style game. very hack & slash with a bit more complex upgrade system and a great storyline to go with it. (i suppose i shoudl also throw in Force Unleashed 1 & 2 in with these as well; though those two are very short games)

MUA 1&2 is a good console co-op action game. its semi customizable and MUA2 has a really good storyline. batman is also good; it has the least customization out of any of the games i listed but was a blast to play through!!

Red Dragon Age 2 is out... :tongue:

I'd have to say that if you haven't played any elder scrolls games I would go for them

I wouldn't have classed Fable 2 and Sacred 2 as the same type of games. Sacred 2 I would call a poor mans Diablo

Elder Scrolls: been playing since Arena. To me the pinnacle of those titles was Daggerfall, but hey you can't stop progress or money. And Skyrim looks...well...load-blowingly awesome.

Fable I was a bit meh about. I finished the first one, it was OK, I just prefer my RPG's to be either completely open ala Oblivion, or on rails (ish) like Kotor. It's a bit 'lite' for my tastes, if that makes sense.

Also...I've never played a final fantasy game...

Ninety Nine Nights I have, played it through with the first character, then started again with the next...and I didn't like it. The first character was quick and fun, the second not so much. I should probably check how to unlock all of them, but I think you have to finish it with the second dude to get the third, third for the fourth etc.

Civilization I adore. I have freeciv on the laptop and I damn near constantly have a game going.

Dwarf Fortress seems interesting.

I really REALLY love AoE 2, took AoE original and added all good stuff. Regicide ftw! What is 3 like?

I haven't played it. It seems to be generally regarded as inferior, though.

Have you played Hitman: Blood Money? Not specifically what you are asking for I know, but a good game nonetheless.

Damn berf. No PS3? There goes my suggestion of the brilliant Valkyria Chronicles. Really nice squad-based tactical RPG. Great story, awesome gameplay, beautiful art style.

If you get a PS3 one day I advise getting this.

Fable I was a bit meh about. I finished the first one, it was OK, I just prefer my RPG's to be either completely open ala Oblivion, or on rails (ish) like Kotor. It's a bit 'lite' for my tastes, if that makes sense.

Also...I've never played a final fantasy game...

Ninety Nine Nights I have, played it through with the first character, then started again with the next...and I didn't like it. The first character was quick and fun, the second not so much. I should probably check how to unlock all of them, but I think you have to finish it with the second dude to get the third, third for the fourth etc.

Fable 2 has an open world feature on it, so you might want to check that out. now that #3 has come out, i think you can get the 2nd for about $19's at any gamestop. i totlly understand what you mean by "lite" though in comparision to Oblivion *nods*

i've also never played a FF game *shudders* the artwork & storyline tempt me, but each time i hear its a "turn based" fighting system it mumble darkly and ignore the game. the only turn based i can stand is Pokemon lmao and even then it's only the original Blue or Red version :happy:

i get what your saying about 99 as well. but you shoudl have unlocked all 5 characters playing with just the 1st main dude. i'm kinda boered with it now, so i'm thinking on re-starting Sacred 2. i'm in the mood for a free ranging RPG.

another one they just came out with is "Two Worlds" i haven't played it, but Game Informer said it was a decent RPG to hold people over unti lthe release of Skyrim. they also called it a B-Rated RPG; but theres a thread here in the Games forum about it. still waiting to hear back from people abotu how the game acutlaly plays before trying it out though.

Imp - i thought DA2 was out, but everytime i go into Gamestop i can only seem to find DA+Extension pack lmao

Not conquest style. You command a small squad- you choose the members from a roster, each with unique potentials, personalities, likes/dislikes of other members, etc.

Its most definitely turn based but, as far as battle goes, its very different from the usual.

some gameplay, though this person takes a much more aggressive/reckless path than I do (I tend to clear maps of enemies and still get the A Rank, but that takes a lot of planning). As you can see its turn-based as a whole but it mixes some real-time in.

This person also really, really likes to abuse Alicia (the girl with the bonnet). Can't really blame them, either. Really good unit.

Its a very fun game. Got really good reviews too.

ETA: Final Fantasy 12 isn't your usual turn-based type of game, if you really wanna try one. And Final Fantasy Versus 13 is supposed to be going to a completely different system.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up digging out a copy of Dawn of War 2 which I didn' even remember buying. Between that, and Atom Zombie Smasher, and starting a new soccer season IRL, I am sated for this week at least.

That being said I spent the last hour trawling Abandonia. And will continue to do so!

That's funny cause just last week I found a shoe-box with a bunch of old PC games in it and I've been thinking about loading one or two, assuming my 64 bit Windows 7 rig will lower itself to run them.

Here's what I have in the box.

Baldur's Gate

Icewind Dale

Baldur's Gate II

Neverwinter Nights

Warcraft II

Homeworld

Emperor Battle for Dune

Grim Fandango

Serious Sam the First Encounter

Fallout and Fallout 2

Dungeon Siege

Black and White

A bunch of those goofy Myst games

and

Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls III

I think I'm going to load Emperor Battle for Dune. I played the crap out of that game when I first got it and I have fond memories of late nights harvesting spice and bringing enemy houses to their knees.

I'd also recommend Galactic Civilizations II if you like Master of Orion.

Any of the Total War games are good picks, offering a Civilization-type strategy mode combined with a RTS-like Tactical mode.

If you like Dawn of War check out Company of Heroes also by Relic.

Also there was an RTS recently called R.U.S.E. that was really good. I don't like most non-Relic RTS, but RUSE had potential.

I just got Anomaly: Warzone Earth on steam. It's an indie tower defense type game but instead of defending, you're attacking. Guess that would be Tower Attack type of game. Anyways, you get to customize you convoy and choose the route they'll take. You also control a commander unit which has special powers such as repairing units and calling in airstrikes. There are several game modes but I've only played story so far. It's not very long but it is entertaining and quite satisfying when you blast through tougher and tougher towers.

Sims. their comming out with a Medevial Sims some time soon.

a new one i'm playing is Venetica. its an RPG, not much free world roaming and you can only level up at certain points. theres not much on an equip level; but the story line is interesting and there are plenty of skills to play around as far as equiping & using. also she has 4 different weapon types not including magic.

Archived