DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is the Big Bad?

ineedfourberfs

So Rand will fight someone, thats a given. But will the bulk of the fight be between Rand and Moridin, on a human to human level, or will Rand pump up the jam and do the boss fight in style against the DO himself?

My prediction is a Moridin v Rand deathmatch at Shayol Ghul, which nearly kills him, only for Moridin to be disposed of with some help from ...someone. Possibly one of the two that assist with Calandor. After Moridin is dealt with, Rand will do something with the power to seal off the DO, without much direct conflict, if any at all.

Fain will then come in and kill him at his weakest, and after that I can't predict anything.

What are your thoughts on how it will go down at the end?

Good lord... LMAO....

You made my morning just now. After you go through how Rand and Moridin will battle, how Rand will defeat the DO, and that Fain will kill Rand... THEN you say "after that I can't predict anything."

Heehee...

Anyhoodle...

Back on topic....

My pet theory of the moment (which is subject to change at a moment's notice) is that Rand will be killed, perhaps by Fain/Alivia, and the DO will snatch his soul (or try to do so) and Rand and Moridin will fight it out for the pretty body with two hands. The DO wants Rand's soul around because he needs the Dragon just as much as the Creator does. Then, once Rand kicks Ishy's soul out of the pretty body, he'll go on to help heal the Pattern, resealing the Bore, and living as long and happy a life as a man can with three wives and a boat load of baggage.

:smile:

I think Rand will sacrifice himself by letting the Dark One take over his body and make him vulnerable to mortal wounds, while Rands soul sits in the back seat and waits. Narishma Alivia and Nynaeve use Callandor, Narishma stabbing "Randzamon" through the heart at the same time as Alivia delivering a weave to sever the portion of the Dark One in Randzamon from the rest (as per Shaidars thought on severing the connection) which means the Dark One in Rand dies... but just at the last instant Rand will "move a hairswidth" and switch bodies with Moridin. Rands blood, Moridins soul, and a chunk of the Dark Ones... with no taint because Callandor touched the Dark One, not the weaves.

Not sure what will happen between Rand and Moridin to be honest. But Id really like Rand to figure stuff out with the link and start making his face float in Moridins vision, staring matches fom opposite ends of the continent, Rand all like "Count your days, bitch! Im coming for you!"

I've been thinking a lot about the "final fight" as it were between Rand and the Dark One lately. I just read the New Spring graphic novel and on one of the pages it shows the Dark One's hand coming out of the ground. The DO's hand looked kind of like what Satan's hand would look like I guess. This poses a problem for me as for the last 7-8 years I've always pictured the DO as a bodiless entity, like an invisible ominous force. Thinking of the DO as possessing his own body sort of takes away from his "badassness" I think. I mean the Dark One is supposed to be the antithesis of the Creator in terms of power, so having a 6-14 ft guy (there were no dimensions to DO's size in the New Spring graphic novel, so the 6-14 ft height is just a guess) who has the ability to change the weather to extremes while having the majority of his power still blocked by the LTT's seal doesn't make sense to me. I mean the DO's power is near immense so it doesn't make sense to me that, that power can be contained within a physical entity. Rand and Nynaeve both had the aid of the most powerful sa'angreals ever made when they cleansed saidin together, but neither could have done it without the sa'angreals. Neither could they change the weather by themselves, it required thirteen women and the Bowl of the Winds. And, again, without this ter'angreal the weather wouldn't have changed. So does the DO actually have a physical body or was that just an artistic interpretation? I mean, instead of figuring out how the fight between Rand and the DO will occur, I'm now trying to figure out the form that the DO will be in when he and Rand duke it out. Does anyone have any insights?

I've been thinking a lot about the "final fight" as it were between Rand and the Dark One lately. I just read the New Spring graphic novel and on one of the pages it shows the Dark One's hand coming out of the ground. The DO's hand looked kind of like what Satan's hand would look like I guess. This poses a problem for me as for the last 7-8 years I've always pictured the DO as a bodiless entity, like an invisible ominous force. Thinking of the DO as possessing his own body sort of takes away from his "badassness" I think.

Now Ive never read New Spring, could you tell me what context is given for that image, does it explain what its there for? See, if on the offchance it was a viewing or Dream or any other future vision it could foreshadow Shaidar Haran aka Hand of the Shadow... or simply just be a metaphor for his touch on the world.

Im not willing to believe for a second that the Dark One has a body of his own. Not his own natural physical form. I do think he can enter a True Power users body but only if they have channeled enough of the True Power to make it easier. Theres also a theory out there (forgive me, I dont know who posted it here, I think it was Luckers) that a Myrdraal is the result of the human channeler gene popping up in the Trolloc gene pool. Ie Trolloc channeler = Mydraal. Of course, a Myrdraal is allergic to the True Source, but... if someone has the ability to channel, they can be granted True Power access... so Shai'tan gives one access, names it Shaidar Haran, and has it channel enough of the True Power to enable him to put a whole shadowy chunk of his ass in it.

Actually no, the Dark One doesnt have an ass.

Also tempted to believe the Watcher was a Dark One PoV. Moridin seems awfully calm about Sammael hinting that he was Nae'blis. We know the Dark One and Moridin think quite alike (or I think they do anyway) and if one Chosen told another Chosen he was Nae'blis, wouldnt that discourage the competition? Not to mention the fact that the boast steps on Moridins toes... and we know Moridin is fit to throwing paddies, but there was none of that with the Watcher. I dont think the Watcher was Shaidar though, I think it was either Moridin or the Dark One possessing Moridin (but not with a shadowy chunk like Shaidar, just a tidbit)

I had the same reaction to you Drekka about the image. At first I thought it was Ishamel or another Forsaken or entity of the Dark One. The image of the DO's hand is used to provide some exposition to readers about WoT history (ie. who the Dark One is, why men can't channel without going mad, the breaking, who the Dragon is, etc.)

Here are the images and text I am referring too.

post-15826-0-86396200-1298748717_thumb.jpg

post-15826-0-49972300-1298748745_thumb.jpg

However, when I reached the end of the book and read the glossary, I found the above image under "Dark One and Creator."

post-15826-0-07313000-1298748970_thumb.jpg

This is what gave rise to my sudden dilemma because the text makes it seem pretty clear that the Dark One has a body.

I've been thinking a lot about the "final fight" as it were between Rand and the Dark One lately. I just read the New Spring graphic novel and on one of the pages it shows the Dark One's hand coming out of the ground. The DO's hand looked kind of like what Satan's hand would look like I guess. This poses a problem for me as for the last 7-8 years I've always pictured the DO as a bodiless entity, like an invisible ominous force. Thinking of the DO as possessing his own body sort of takes away from his "badassness" I think.

Now Ive never read New Spring, could you tell me what context is given for that image, does it explain what its there for? See, if on the offchance it was a viewing or Dream or any other future vision it could foreshadow Shaidar Haran aka Hand of the Shadow... or simply just be a metaphor for his touch on the world.

Im not willing to believe for a second that the Dark One has a body of his own. Not his own natural physical form. I do think he can enter a True Power users body but only if they have channeled enough of the True Power to make it easier. Theres also a theory out there (forgive me, I dont know who posted it here, I think it was Luckers) that a Myrdraal is the result of the human channeler gene popping up in the Trolloc gene pool. Ie Trolloc channeler = Mydraal. Of course, a Myrdraal is allergic to the True Source, but... if someone has the ability to channel, they can be granted True Power access... so Shai'tan gives one access, names it Shaidar Haran, and has it channel enough of the True Power to enable him to put a whole shadowy chunk of his ass in it.

Actually no, the Dark One doesnt have an ass.

Also tempted to believe the Watcher was a Dark One PoV. Moridin seems awfully calm about Sammael hinting that he was Nae'blis. We know the Dark One and Moridin think quite alike (or I think they do anyway) and if one Chosen told another Chosen he was Nae'blis, wouldnt that discourage the competition? Not to mention the fact that the boast steps on Moridins toes... and we know Moridin is fit to throwing paddies, but there was none of that with the Watcher. I dont think the Watcher was Shaidar though, I think it was either Moridin or the Dark One possessing Moridin (but not with a shadowy chunk like Shaidar, just a tidbit)

I wouldn't neccessarily say that makes it clear the DO has a body. The hand just seems to be there for the need of a picture and happens to be more dramatic than a black mist flowing out of a crack. If he doesn't have a physical body then no picture would really be accurate, so rule of cool wins?

i don't think the text suggests that the DO has a body. in genesis, we see references to G-d walking through the garden, as if He had legs, and we see references to Him creating man in His image, as if He had. . . well, an image. but it's just anthropomorphism. the legs aren't literal, the image isn't physical. it's just written in a way that makes it easier for the human mind to understand. i think the concept of the DO "touching" the world is the same thing. touching = infuencing.

How do you think then that this need of a DO imagery will impact the pending EoTW movie? Will the DO be portrayed in a bodily form to help audiences (non-WoT fans specifically) conceptualize the DO? Movies are a different medium from books. What i mean is that in books it's okay to have an antagonist occupy a shapeless form as it encourages the reader to develop their own antagonist. In movies and other more visual dependent mediums (ie. graphic novels) it's difficult to pull off because you need someone or something to be that representative and you have to, obviously, show/depict it. Any thoughts?

i think he'll be represented the way sauron was in LoTR - not so much. an evil glare, maybe, a black and purple mist, some nice CGI amorphous thingy. a voice like charlie brown's teacher slowed down and bassed (sp?) down. it shouldn't really be an issue for an EOtW movie, though, cause we mainly see the effects of naming the dark one, and his champion? i could be way wrong, it's been a while since i re-read.

Okay, so we've got Shaidar Haran, Moridin and Fain as potentially final enemies. I don't think that the Dark One will manifest himself, but rather he'll exert his power through one of the first two.

Now, getting down to what'll happen... I have no idea. Seriously, I could predict multiple endings, but I can't see how any one of them is more likely than the other. I wish the book was coming out this year :P

How do you think then that this need of a DO imagery will impact the pending EoTW movie? Will the DO be portrayed in a bodily form to help audiences (non-WoT fans specifically) conceptualize the DO? Movies are a different medium from books. What i mean is that in books it's okay to have an antagonist occupy a shapeless form as it encourages the reader to develop their own antagonist. In movies and other more visual dependent mediums (ie. graphic novels) it's difficult to pull off because you need someone or something to be that representative and you have to, obviously, show/depict it. Any thoughts?

I think it's a little early to make predictions about that since even in the books we are not given knowledge about the Dark One's appearence if there is one.

Funny but I've never thought about the issue before. Well, DO shouldn't have a body. He would just look like another forsaken. Just as well, it will be ridiculous if Rand fights the DO with any power.

Even the dragon reborn cannot be powerful enough. I think the defeat will be by logic or you know, "power of love" thing. So we won't see any actual battle with the DO.

That means the Big Bad will be Demandred

Just my two coppers :biggrin:

I think Demandred is going to be the main Shadow commander, analogous to Mat (who should get the Ever Victorious Army, alongside or even instead of the Band). His forces will nearly overwhelm the Light, and Rand will have to strike at Shayol Ghul to keep humanity from being overrun. Moridin will be a major opponent, but it would be awesome if Rand and Elan debate as well as just fighting. Rand defeats him in combat and philosophy at once, he's about to turn to the Light, and Shaidar Haran steps in.

NO. HE IS MINE.

Moridin becomes fully controlled by the Dark One (eyes turn to endless shadows, Shaidar Haran merges with him and the Hand of the Shadow wields the Nae'blis) and Rand is aware that his old foe is somewhere inside this monster, screaming for release. They battle, Light against True Power, Callandor against a dark blade. Rand finally unleashes everything he has. Always, even at Maradon, some part of him was holding back. No longer. The storm he releases dwarfs everything seen previously: saidin and saidar pulled through unbuffered Callandor at levels far beyond the Choedan Kal's capabilities, while Rand draws on the Light itself to steady himself. The entire True Source gets focused into the blade (RJ did say it was finite, only "infinitely reusable"), undergirded by the Creator's own Power. The Dark One responds in kind, trying to warp the Pit of Doom to kill Rand (countered by Ta'veren) and throwing as much True Power at him as will fit through the Bore. As they fight, Rand finally realizes that Light and Shadow are evenly matched, perfect balances. The Creator could ward the Dark One out of his realm the same way that Shai'tan could keep the Creator out of his realm. The Dragon has at last become the full Champion of the Light, but he merely matches the Shadow.

Both confident that he will not lose and wondering how to win, Rand is shocked to get hit by the Dark One's avatar. They were evenly matched, but the Dragon was seeking to protect himself and threaten Shai'tan, the Big Bad was just striking to kill. Weakened now, Rand is horrified to see himself driven back, his chance at victory slipping away because of his mistake. Padan Fain slips into the Pit of Doom and strikes ferociously at Shai'tan. "Burn you! Burn you through all darkness! He's mine!!" Focused on Rand, the Dark One's avatar receives a cut from the Shadar Logoth dagger and the Pit of Doom destabilizes. The very air seems to become dancing radiance and clashing shades as the pure evil of the Dark One reacts with Mashadar and is simultaneously threatened by Callandor. Rand understands now. He cannot defeat the Dark One's Champion as such-they are both representatives of eternal powers, and neither is stronger than the other. They can both live, dooming humanity to destruction, or they can both die, giving the Wheel another chance. Rand decides to Sheathe the Sword. Throwing everything he has into his attack, Rand injures the Lord of the Evening with his unbuffered blade. Unbuffered. Suddenly the True Power is pouring into Callandor as well, an infinite void seeking to seize Rand's Light and extinguish it forever. Rand is caught, balanced on the very edge between the two. Slipping and nearly overcome. Then Padan Fain strikes the possessed Moridin again and the darkness slips just enough for Rand to regain his footing. In that moment he saw the horror and agony awaiting him if he goes through with this, if he Sheathes the Sword against the Dark One. He cannot make himself do it. Tired of Fain's distractions, the enemy turns on the former peddler fully as Rand hesitates. Fain is cut down and destroyed. Rand though, gained just enough of a breather to think things through. He can hardly bear the torment to come, but the alternative is to lose everyone he cares about. Forever. He thinks of Mat and Perrin and all his old friends from the Two Rivers. He thinks of Moiraine and Mierin. He thinks of his three lovers. And finally he Sheathes the Sword, cutting down the Lord of the Evening while recieving a fatal wound in return. Trapped in agony, he is eventually released when Alivia arrives to put him out of his misery, and restored when Nynaeve pulls him out of Tel'Aran'Rhiod...

Or maybe it goes nothing like that. Just having fun.

I think Demandred is going to be the main Shadow commander, analogous to Mat (who should get the Ever Victorious Army, alongside or even instead of the Band). His forces will nearly overwhelm the Light, and Rand will have to strike at Shayol Ghul to keep humanity from being overrun. Moridin will be a major opponent, but it would be awesome if Rand and Elan debate as well as just fighting. Rand defeats him in combat and philosophy at once, he's about to turn to the Light, and Shaidar Haran steps in.

NO. HE IS MINE.

Moridin becomes fully controlled by the Dark One (eyes turn to endless shadows, Shaidar Haran merges with him and the Hand of the Shadow wields the Nae'blis) and Rand is aware that his old foe is somewhere inside this monster, screaming for release. They battle, Light against True Power, Callandor against a dark blade. Rand finally unleashes everything he has. Always, even at Maradon, some part of him was holding back. No longer. The storm he releases dwarfs everything seen previously: saidin and saidar pulled through unbuffered Callandor at levels far beyond the Choedan Kal's capabilities, while Rand draws on the Light itself to steady himself. The entire True Source gets focused into the blade (RJ did say it was finite, only "infinitely reusable"), undergirded by the Creator's own Power. The Dark One responds in kind, trying to warp the Pit of Doom to kill Rand (countered by Ta'veren) and throwing as much True Power at him as will fit through the Bore. As they fight, Rand finally realizes that Light and Shadow are evenly matched, perfect balances. The Creator could ward the Dark One out of his realm the same way that Shai'tan could keep the Creator out of his realm. The Dragon has at last become the full Champion of the Light, but he merely matches the Shadow.

Both confident that he will not lose and wondering how to win, Rand is shocked to get hit by the Dark One's avatar. They were evenly matched, but the Dragon was seeking to protect himself and threaten Shai'tan, the Big Bad was just striking to kill. Weakened now, Rand is horrified to see himself driven back, his chance at victory slipping away because of his mistake. Padan Fain slips into the Pit of Doom and strikes ferociously at Shai'tan. "Burn you! Burn you through all darkness! He's mine!!" Focused on Rand, the Dark One's avatar receives a cut from the Shadar Logoth dagger and the Pit of Doom destabilizes. The very air seems to become dancing radiance and clashing shades as the pure evil of the Dark One reacts with Mashadar and is simultaneously threatened by Callandor. Rand understands now. He cannot defeat the Dark One's Champion as such-they are both representatives of eternal powers, and neither is stronger than the other. They can both live, dooming humanity to destruction, or they can both die, giving the Wheel another chance. Rand decides to Sheathe the Sword. Throwing everything he has into his attack, Rand injures the Lord of the Evening with his unbuffered blade. Unbuffered. Suddenly the True Power is pouring into Callandor as well, an infinite void seeking to seize Rand's Light and extinguish it forever. Rand is caught, balanced on the very edge between the two. Slipping and nearly overcome. Then Padan Fain strikes the possessed Moridin again and the darkness slips just enough for Rand to regain his footing. In that moment he saw the horror and agony awaiting him if he goes through with this, if he Sheathes the Sword against the Dark One. He cannot make himself do it. Tired of Fain's distractions, the enemy turns on the former peddler fully as Rand hesitates. Fain is cut down and destroyed. Rand though, gained just enough of a breather to think things through. He can hardly bear the torment to come, but the alternative is to lose everyone he cares about. Forever. He thinks of Mat and Perrin and all his old friends from the Two Rivers. He thinks of Moiraine and Mierin. He thinks of his three lovers. And finally he Sheathes the Sword, cutting down the Lord of the Evening while recieving a fatal wound in return. Trapped in agony, he is eventually released when Alivia arrives to put him out of his misery, and restored when Nynaeve pulls him out of Tel'Aran'Rhiod...

Awesome description.

Reading it reminds me so much of Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant and how he becomes the white gold himself..

Could RJ have something similar in mind.. Rand becomes light/One Power itself and creates the barrier to block the dark one..???

Random out of left field theory.. just another one

NO. HE IS MINE.

Awesome description.

Reading it reminds me so much of Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant and how he becomes the white gold himself..

Could RJ have something similar in mind.. Rand becomes light/One Power itself and creates the barrier to block the dark one..???

Random out of left field theory.. just another one

Thanks! It's always fun to guess what the Wheel's going to throw at us next...

I think that the final fight between Rand and Moridin is going to involve Elayne finding some magic boxes amongst those ter'angreal of hers and Rand will stick Callandor into one of them and do some random magic that suddenly wins everything by zapping the Dark One and all his minions into some other world that they can't get back from and makes the entire preceding set of novels completely pointless.

Maybe Rand will trick the Dark One into saying "Shai'tan". Therefore the Dark One will gaze at himself, and thus screw up his own plans by cursing himself.

Or maybe Rand gets the entire world to say his name in order to distract him at a critical moment.

Yeah. I suck at this.

I can only guess that Padan will end up being used as a weapon since he is effectively surrounded by the one thing that can not only 'safely' come in contact with the taint / True Power / Dark One, but is also destructive to it. Although I'm still curious as to where this evil anti-evil stuff really originated from.

I reckon it will go down like this

Rand: Right there's only a couple of pages left, so this is going to have to be a quickie.

Moridin: That's grand. I'm so tired anyway. How we going to do this?

Rand: Thumb war?

Moridin: How fitting? Okay go.

Rand and Moridin: One two three four I declare a Thumb War!

After ten minutes of furious uneventfulness and murderous stares.

Moridin: That's cheating! You can't just have your thumb held back. Fight me!

Rand: Okay. One, Two, THREE! I win. Now close up that bore and hop back in there now like a good forsaken.

Maybe Rand will trick the Dark One into saying "Shai'tan". Therefore the Dark One will gaze at himself, and thus screw up his own plans by cursing himself.

Or maybe Rand gets the entire world to say his name in order to distract him at a critical moment.

Yeah. I suck at this.

I can only guess that Padan will end up being used as a weapon since he is effectively surrounded by the one thing that can not only 'safely' come in contact with the taint / True Power / Dark One, but is also destructive to it. Although I'm still curious as to where this evil anti-evil stuff really originated from.

The anti-evil stuff originated from the suspiscion and paranoia of an entire city.

If Rand means to slay the Dark One, then he'll need to throw Padan Faindeth into the bore.

If Rand wants to seal the Dark One perfectly, without tainting the one power, he'll need to touch the Dark One with the Tru Power, so effectively he seals himself away.

I get the vibe that it's 'man evil' rather than 'god evil'. Similar, but different.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think there is a sort of power struggle that is inevitable between Moridin and Demandred? Look at the past, the relationship between Lews Therin and Demandred. D was always second best, overshadowed, back burner to Lews and it ate at him. So do you think Demandred is okay with Moridin at the helm? Do you forsee him showing up at the final battle guns blazing for Rand and the light, or do you see him maybe plotting on Moridin? If this has been discussed on other threads I apologize. I've read a bunch but to have read all of them would be insane! haha! Also, I think Fain and his dagger are going to be a huge factor at the last battle. Possibly the DO slayer?

Archived