DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

London Layover

J_coop_er

I've noticed alot of poeple on DM are from england and i was looking at my itinerary for this trip i'm taking in a couple weeks and i have a 5 hour layover in London. i have no idea so i thought i'd ask you guys, does that give me enough time to go and do anything there( eat,shop, or whatever), ive never been in london and have no idea how hard or how fast you can get around over there.

Depending on where you are coming from. Most likely you will have such jet lag that you won't want to do much of anything. And 5 hours isn't really that much time (unless you have been to the London airport before). Most likely you will spend 2 hours or so checking in/going through passport information place, finding your gate etc.

I had a 14 hour layover in London before....After my 8 hour flight straight to there I was so jet lagged that I pretty much just hung out in the airport and slept for like 5 hours in a lounge chair lol.

I know I am not a BT member, but I saw the thread title and had to comment.

As someone who lives in London, 5 hours is not enough time to do anything. Even if it were Heathrow airport, which is the easier airport to get into central London from, you won't have much time to do anything. I believe the Piccadilly Line on the Underground takes about 40 minutes to get into central London. I know the Gatwick Express (train) takes 30 minutes to get to London Victoria, but you will need to travel on from there on the Underground.

If you want to enjoy London, and enjoy it well so you don't go back disappointed, you need a good a good long weekend here - but even then, that isn't enough. I have lived in and around London for nearly 5 years now, and I am still finding new areas and attractions.

Personally, I think staying in the airport would be your best bet, since you will need to be on your way back once you leave whichever airport you are arriving at.

I am also not a BT member, but I just got back from a trip with a layover at London Heathrow. If it's Heathrow for you too, you'll want to keep in mind that it's a pretty big airport and getting to your departure gate might take some time depending on which terminal(s)you arrive and depart from. You'll also need to go through a security check at some point which depending on the terminal and time of day and other factors might take longer than you expect.

well it seems like it would be a bad idea to leave. i was kinda thinking if it took an hour to get to a train and an hour to get back in through security, and and hour and a half to travel back and forth from the airport(heathrow) to wereever, then i'd have an hour and a half todo whatever. .. i know it's not enough to time to " enjoy" anything but i would like to see a little of london, even if it was just a bus ride around the city. . .

Normally in britain, they like you to be at check in 2 hours before, I'm not sure how it works for those that are going from one place to another. But i think it has been said here. by the time you are off your plane and out to the underground you may not have much time once you get into London, then all you need is a delay on the tube (underground) and you could miss your flight. Heathrow is large enough to keep you occupied and I wouldn't risk it.

Where are you going to and from BJ?

I know I am not a BT member...

I am also not a BT member...

Well why the heck not? lol :tongue:

And as for you blackjacket, I assume that you'll be making a connection somewhere on the east coast from Wisconsin, which will then take you to London. Odds are this will result in enough jet lag that you won't want to go anywhere lol

yeah it's an experience for sure Locke

I'm flying out of chicago Mcs. it's alot cheaper for some reason then flying out of madison. i'll go from chi to lon to tel a viv or however you spell that. and the smae route back. you don't get jet lagging going that way it seems. but i will have about 8 days of it to look forward to when i get back. fun fun

Archived