DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Keyboardist for the Band's Band - It's A Knockout (Winner: Matt Bellamy of Muse)

Corki

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 2, Tie 3

Rick Wakeman of Yes

The English keyboard player, composer, and songwriter, Rick Wakeman, is best known as being the keyboardist of the progressive rock band Yes. Later, he was the keyboardist for Ozzy Osbourne. He is considered to be a pioneer in the use of electronic keyboards, as well as combining rock bands with choirs and orchestras. With over 100 solo albums, he has sold over 50 million of these. He now works heavily in the media, with several television appearances, and he is now making the transition to radio.

Links:

and Life On Mars

vs.

Jon Lord of Deep Purple

Jon Lord IS an English composer, pianist, and Hammond organ player. He is known for his pioneering work in fusing rock and classical or baroque forms. As well as being a member of Deep Purple, Lord has been involved with Whitesnake, Paice, Ashton & Lord, The Artwoods and Flower Pot Men. While with Deep Purple, Lord's trademark keyboard sound emerged. Ignoring the Moog synthesizer, Lord focused on a keyboard sound centred on the Hammond organ, giving a heavier than a blues sound and often featuring distortion.

Links:

and Keyboard Solo (live in Australia)

Voting ends Sunday 27th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 2, Tie 4

Brandon Flowers of The Killers

Brandon Flowers is the frontman, vocalist, and keyboardist of the Las Vegas-based rock band The Killers. The group was formed in 2001 when Flowers responded to a newspaper advert by Dave Keuning. Since 2010, Flowers has also released a solo album, which is called Flamingo. And if anyone has better clips of Flowers on the keyboard, send it my way and I will replace mine!

Links:

and

vs.

Keith Emerson of ELP

One of the founders of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, he has a vast array of keyboards, organs and pianos at his disposal on stage. With the emergence of the Moog synthesiser, Emerson was able to vary the pitch, volume or timbre of the output. It is also interesting to note the amount of abuse Emerson gives his instruments in live shows - so much so, he actually got stuck underneath one of his reinforced L-100.

Links: Solo Performance and

Voting ends Sunday 27th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

So, time to wrap up Round 2.

In tie 3, Rick Wakeman beat Jon Lord by 3 votes to 0.

And in tie 4, Brandon Flowers beat Keith Emerson by 2 votes to 1.

Time to get the first semi-final up and running.

Semi-Final, Tie 1

Matt Bellamy of Muse

Matt Bellamy is a multi-talented artist, being the lead vocalist, guitarist, pianist, and main songwriter of the alternative rock band Muse. Bellamy started playing the piano at the age of 6, and later started the guitar at 14. He has won many awards in magazine and online polls, mainly for his guitar, but also some for his looks.

Links: Citizen Erased and Piano Solo

vs.

Sir Elton John

Born Reginald Kenneth Dwight, Sir Elton John has been in the limelight for many, many years. He is one of the most successful artists ever, having sold more than 250 million records in his four-decade career. Selling over 33 million copies, his single Candle in the Wind 1997 (in memory of Princess Diana) is the best selling single in Billboard history. His piano playing is influenced by classical and gospel music.

Links: Candle in the Wind (1997 version) and

Voting ends Monday 28th February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

I totally forgot about this last night, so it is now time to wrap this up.

Going through to the final, it is Matt Bellamy, after he secured a 4-2 win over Sir Elton John.

Time to see who he faces in the final!

Semi-Final, Tie 2

Rick Wakeman of Yes

The English keyboard player, composer, and songwriter, Rick Wakeman, is best known as being the keyboardist of the progressive rock band Yes. Later, he was the keyboardist for Ozzy Osbourne. He is considered to be a pioneer in the use of electronic keyboards, as well as combining rock bands with choirs and orchestras. With over 100 solo albums, he has sold over 50 million of these. He now works heavily in the media, with several television appearances, and he is now making the transition to radio.

Links:

and Life On Mars

vs.

Brandon Flowers of The Killers

Brandon Flowers is the frontman, vocalist, and keyboardist of the Las Vegas-based rock band The Killers. The group was formed in 2001 when Flowers responded to a newspaper advert by Dave Keuning. Since 2010, Flowers has also released a solo album, which is called Flamingo. And if anyone has better clips of Flowers on the keyboard, send it my way and I will replace mine!

Links:

and

Voting ends Wednesday 3rd February 2011 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived