DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Sakaea

So they're making a sequel to FFXIII. The release date is December 31, 2011. I loved FF13; thought the graphics were amazing, storyline was good, and I really liked the leveling system.

Supposedly the sequel carries on right after FF13, time-wise, with Lightning as the main character, with new companions.

Now, I liked X-2. I thought the dress spheres thing was strange, but not bad. I know a lot of people hated X-2, but I liked how it wrapped up the story from X. So, the question is, is XIII-2 going to be as good as XIII? Or no?

I am inclined to say it will be as good as, but then, I've never met a Final Fantasy game I didn't like.

• 2 weeks later...

Versus still lacks a release date. I actually have a theory that the 13 we actually got was not meant to be the "real" Final Fantasy 13. Square Enix just realized that they hadn't released a new FF game for some time and went "oh crap! What's that side project we've been working on?" sometime around 2007 or 2008. So they put out Final Fantasy 13 in all its linear glory and Versus is what they always intended to be the next 13.

That or this is a battle for the soul of the franchise and the Versus crew want to be certain they produce a better game and are taking awhile, going to quality over quantity route in the sense that they may take 10 years to make a game but it'll be an epic game.

So yeah. No release date, they've only now released one trailer and its been in the news just as long. Agito looks really fun though and I even have a PSP to play it. Funny thing about the PSP, I'm finding it to have better games than the PS3.

ETA: And I've heard this and now Wikipedia confirms... WE GET WORLD MAPS BACK! Now had that since Final Fantasy 9. Thank god, they were such a huge part of the sense of freedom you had once you got the airship.

Wiki also has a lot more on how the battle system works too and how each character actually is unique in your team.

Personally I don't mind linear aspect to most of the game.

X is still my favourite and I liked the battle mode on it. Prefer the old style to the new style they have put in.

from what I have read, I got the feeling that the article thought XIII-2 might well come out before Verses.

• Community Administrator

Well yea, they've already got a complete game that they can re-use levels, and adding new 'quests' in the same environment or even new creatures is easy cake.

Hell they've already got the games engine/ect all up and working and thats half the battle. So realy they could pump out a 'sequel' in less than a year.

And I believe versus 13 has a varriant of the same game engine, but gameplay is vastly different, so basically means all the content they are working on, as well as gameplay/engine still needs fine tuning... I'm betting versus 13 Q4 of 2012.

I don't really care which one ends up coming out first, because I'll have a blast playing both. I just hope that they keep coming up with awesome ideas for Final Fantasy games.

That's awesome, about the world maps. I missed that, especially in XII. I'm replaying VII right now, and am rediscovering how much fun it is; it brings back some funny memories, it being the first RPG I ever played.

I remember I kept getting stuck on the first disc, at the boss fight with Rufus. It was so hard, cus I was never leveled up (didn't know to level grind yet). I would play to that point, get stuck, get irritated, and play something else for weeks, then start VII over again. Finally beating him was amazing. :biggrin:

Anyone else have any fond memories of their first play through a Final Fantasy game they'd like to share? I've got so many...

I was in love with Final Fantasy V-III, but couldn't get past where Rinoa got possessed and you couldn't summon the GF without hurting her... I would fail, rage, quit and go back to it weeks later and repeat... I never got past it :'( and now i don't have either a ps1/ps2 or the game anymore :(

I was in love with Final Fantasy V-III, but couldn't get past where Rinoa got possessed and you couldn't summon the GF without hurting her... I would fail, rage, quit and go back to it weeks later and repeat... I never got past it :'( and now i don't have either a ps1/ps2 or the game anymore :(

You got a PS3?

If you do, I believe you can actually buy 8 on the PSN store.

If not, the ps1 disc will work in all ps3 models. (ps2 discs, only work on the original ones)

AS for 8, yea, I haven't beat it either. I got stuck during a parade part... I think. I remember the witch lady attacking, and just getting stomped on. I had the issue, where I'd be under-leveled for the 'event' that would happen.. Probably one of my only gripes about some FF games, in that if you play straight through, without grinding levels, and being a linear game, the bosses shouldn't be a problem, but in the case of 8, you had to in some instances, go and grab some summon that isn't on the main path, and be a high enough level to face a boss encounter, and the only way you knew about it, was through the guide.

I never minded those instances, because after VII, I would always level grind. VIII is actually one of my favorites, because of the massive amount of things to do.

I found that not having the guide for XII was the most damaging, because you don't know which treasure chests not to open to get the Zodiac Spear.

there was a trick to the Rinoa fight..can't remember it off the top of my head.

I remember getting to the end boss of VIII with attack (might have had something else as well) as my only option...needless to say the fight didn't last long

I have never completed 7 ironically. I got bored with the chocobos trying to get knights of the round.

Things I remember most are usually the cut scenes. the starts of ff8 and ff12 have great cut scenes. Think my favourite however is the evil forest in ff9

there was a trick to the Rinoa fight..can't remember it off the top of my head.

I remember getting to the end boss of VIII with attack (might have had something else as well) as my only option...needless to say the fight didn't last long

I have never completed 7 ironically. I got bored with the chocobos trying to get knights of the round.

Things I remember most are usually the cut scenes. the starts of ff8 and ff12 have great cut scenes. Think my favourite however is the evil forest in ff9

Truthfully, while I haven't technically 'beat' ff7, I was 'watching' someone beat it, and when it comes straight to it, I already knew how it went, and could have completed it at anytime.

However, I spent something like, 6 months trying to make a golden chocobo, and could never get one to come about. The random-chocobo breading thing, just didn't ever roll on my favor.

Aka, I'd have S rank Chocobos, using the correct Greens, and yet, I'd never get a mountain, nor a river choco, or I'd only get mountain, but never river ones. So, I just didn't feel like beating it, without knights of the round. >:(

As far as FFVIII, the reason I had difficulty on the parade one, was I was WAY under level.

Lets say the minimum recommended level was 45, I was 20.

And my 'magic' and 'summons' were highly under-leveled.

Only FF game I have been under levelled was in X. I rushed through the game and got to the Evrae fight on the airship only to find out that I didn't have enough health or do enough damage. Think I killed it while under levelled then died horribly in Bevelle before the save as I had basically no health/mana left.

I ended up over leveling my characters in VII so that I went up against a boss and decimated them with one hit of an overdrive.

X is a favorite, specially blitzball and I liked the story even if some of the bosses were a pain in the butt.

X-2 I hated just a mishmash of gameplay style and it never really clicked for me.

XII I actually liked, it was different being able to chose which monsters you battled and the monster hunting was quite good, also you just had balthiers with a strong pistol and beserk and you killed most things in a few hits.

XIII wasn't bad but it was very linear and hated that you fought everyone in an area instead of the 3 in front of you, you had to fight like all 12 enemies in the area.

Truthfully, while I haven't technically 'beat' ff7, I was 'watching' someone beat it, and when it comes straight to it, I already knew how it went, and could have completed it at anytime.

Same here for FFX. I got my characters so powerful in that game, by the time I got to the ending, it wasn't even worth beating. (After I killed one of the bosses in one hit, I just went back to my saved game and fought in the Arena, which actually had some decent enemies)

XIII I haven't played yet, though since most people I've talked to seemed to think highly of it, perhaps I'll go out and buy it sometime.

XII I'm still working on. I beat the game a long time ago but I still haven't completed all the hunts.

FFVI will always be my favorite though. I remember as a little kid avidly watching my older siblings play that game, waiting until I was old enough. I can no longer remember how many times I've played through it. :laugh:

You mean Anima? The Magus Sisters were much better than Anima, in my opinion, especially with Mindy's Passado which is one of the only attacks in the game that can do well over 100,000 damage. (Blitz Ace with Tidus but unfortunately, I could never get his celestial weapon as the chocobo race thing was somewhat insane). I always planned to go on a huge weapon/accessory customizing spree, but my game crashed, and I never got around to creating my own ultimate equipment. :laugh:

I have the guides for VII through XIII; I don't really consider it cheating, because there are things you will never find or be able to do if you don't have the guide. The Zodiac spear in XII being the perfect example. I got Tidus' ultimate weapon; the chocobo thing is ridiculously hard, but my fiance is amazing at stuff like that :biggrin:

I gave up the chocobo race after a couple tries and assurance from the internet that it was relatively impossible. I think I didn't get Lulu's either. (the one where you had to dodge lightning bolts 200 times in a row)

I thought the Magus Sisters were extremely useful, since they were like a party only you couldn't control exactly what they did and they were way more powerful.

There were a couple Arena bosses I never defeated. The hardest ones. I only got like 6 of the 13.

Archived