DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Summoning

Wayward_fool

Camigwen's head throbbed. And the tea in front of her had long since turned cold and was of no use to her. She would channel, but she did not feel like it. She felt like nothing. Nothing at all. A numbing sort of apprehension that threatened to consume her whole. But she closed her eyes and went through the Novice exercise of a rose opening itself to the sun. Saidar touched her not, but she felt slightly better. Barely. And when she opened her eyes and spied the envelopes before her again, her headache returned. This was not going to be an easy day.

The Head of the Yellow Ajah stood up. And looked at the envelopes before her. Each had a name written on it. All Yellow sisters. All people she wished she could trust explicitly. But it had been a long time since Camigwen trusted anyone. At least with the names she had decided on, she was pretty sure she had made very few mistakes. She had a reason for each and everyone of them. They were random. Neither all young nor old. Neither all new nor long into the Ajah. None of them from similar backgrounds. Some were known pillow friends. Close friends. Mentors to students. Long time friends. Some loners. All unBonded. It was a chore to work with such a group, but she had no choice. Who could she trust? Noone.

"Mirvaine." Camigwen's voice rang out and immediately an Accepted entered the room and bowed low. "Bring these notes to the respective Sisters." Each envelope had been sealed with a Ward and if anyone but the intended recipient opened it, there would be a nasty surprise. They throbbed with Saidar. It did not go unnoticed with the Accepted as she picked them up gingerly. "With alacrity, child. I will not have them delivered late. Move!" She clapped her hand with a ring, and the Accepted let off a squeak, and ran off.

Ordinarily, she would not be thus tempered, but it was not going to be an easy day. And she was not looking forward to meeting the group. They would be hunters. Light willed they did not get hunted first.

Amadine pottered about the little herb garden she kept in the study of her quarters. Pulling a weed here and a weed there.

Waiting.

She tidied the study then moved onto the bedchamber. She picked up some lint from the carpets and made some notes about this herb or that as they came to her.

Waiting.

Sighing, Amadine moved into the sitting room and took a novel down from her bookshelf. Relaxing into her favourite chair she lifted her feet and set them upon the small table. How very un-Aes Sedai-like! She laughed softly to herself and turned to her bookmark in the novel. It was a fluffy romance novel but it was good for light reading when her mind really was elsewhere.

At the sound of a sharp knock Amadine lowered her feet to the floor and sat up straight in her chair. "Come" she said. The door opened to reveal Mirvaine. Amadine nodded, she had been expecting the girl. Ama knew that it was Mirvaine's turn to wait on Camigwen today. Mirvaine entered Amadine's sitting room and dipped a deep curtsy.

"I have this for you Amadine Sedai." the lass held out a sealed envelope, Amadine could feel the wards before she even touched the missive. She took the envelope and spoke to the girl, "Thank you child. You may continue your duties."

After the girl left Amadine channelled a complex weave on the door to her rooms so that she could not be disturbed and sat back down. Carefully she opened the letter.

Dear Amadine,

This note is a compulsory summons to my office. There will be a mission, thus please make immediate arrangements to leave the White Tower and be in my office at High Noon, ready to leave. Speak to noone, it is to be treated with utmost confidence.

In the Light,

Camigwen

Setting the letter down Amadine checked the clock on her mantle, High Noon was two hours away. If she packed quickly she would be able to be in Camigwen's office in an hour, time enough to speak to her before the others arrived. Amadine went to her closet and pulled out her saddlebags, she set to packing quickly and efficiently. Several clean riding dresses and half a dozen clean shifts, stockings, herb packets, her hairbrush and all the other bits and pieces required for extended travel.

Once she had finished packing Amadine changed into a riding dress of blue silk. It was embroidered with yellow daisies around the bodice and the hem. She left the saddlebags on the bed and went to check the clock in the sitting room. Just an hour had passed. Satisfied Amadine removed the wards from her door and replaced them as she pulled the door shut.

She made her way through the Yellow Quarters and began descending the curving staircase. Amadine wondered as she walked, who else Camigwen would be summoning for this mission. Arriving at Camigwen's door she felt the wards that had been placed here, every bit as strong as her own had been. She lifted her hand and knocked sharply on the door.

Amadine al'Varine

Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah

As Seheria finished up her introductory lesson on herbs and sent the students on their way she straightened up the few papers that had been sitting scattered on the desk and tried to look busy while the young ones left. She had told them if they had questions they could always ask her after class but she didn't have to look like she was eager for it. She had explained things well in the class and they should have been taking notes. To her relief no one came forward, and as they filed out of the room Seheria began to gather up the pots of growing herbs and the bottles of dried ones she had shown the class. That is when the knock came on the door. "Seheria Sedai?" She turned to look at the girl keeping an annoyed look from touching her face, "I have a important message to give to you." the girl said as she approached the Yellow with an envelope. "Leave it on the desk, child, I'll get it when on my way out." The girl looked a little surprised and a little anxious about leaving the message sitting out on a desk, so Seheria made a point of coming back toward the desk as the Accepted left the room.

She couldn't imagine who had sent a message for her or what it could be about, but she was sure it only mean more work for her to do, and more to keep her way from what her own plans were. She finished gathering the few things that were left around and sat back down at the desk. As soon as she got a good look at the letter she knew who it was from. She debated throwing it in the trash for just a minute, but she knew she couldn't do that, so she sighed as she sat at the desk and opened the envelope.

"Dear Seheria,

This note is a compulsory summons to my office. There will be a mission, thus please make immediate arrangements to leave the White Tower and be in my office at High Noon, ready to leave. Speak to noone, it is to be treated with utmost confidence.

In the Light,

Camigwen"

Seheria shook her head as she crumpled up the note. Need someone to do your dirty work do you? she thought. She couldn't just leave the Tower, she had a class to teach, but no, that woman never thought of things like that! Seheria sighed and went to find someone to take over her class. She didn't tell the Aes Sedai why she wouldn't be finishing the lessons, just that she had need to have the other woman take the class over, and she promised to cover a class for her someday in the future. As she made her way back to her rooms she sorted out a few others things that would need looking after while she was gone.

She got to her room and took out her traveling bags then glanced around her rooms. How am I supposed to pack and be ready to leave when I have no idea where I am to be going, what I will be doing or how long I will be gone? What a woman! I am not a mind reader. She sighed and packed a few things that she wouldn't leave without in the bag, grabbed her shawl and a traveling cloak, and some riding skirts. Anything else I need I'm sure I can purchase somewhere along the way.

When she was packed and ready to go she made sure that nothing important was in sight and that her room was set and welcoming for her return. She watered her plants one last time and left to meet with Camigwen to find out what ridiculous problem she needed Seheria to solve. She wasn't surprised to see the others waiting at the Head's office when she arrived, she knew that she would never have been Camigwen's first pick for anything. She smiled at the others but stood a few paces away from them waiting for the meeting to start.

~ Seheria Mori

Camigwen glanced up as the knock sounded on her door. She assumed it would be Amadine, since she was only one who had a clue what the summons was about. This was good. Things were going according to plan. She unwove the Ward that protected the room and channeled Air so the door opened by itself. Amadine bowed her head slightly and swept into the room gracefully.

"Good. You understood the words then." Amadine nodded mutely, her eyes were cool Aes Sedai's gaze. "We have little time. I do not want you to be seen having been here before the others have arrived. So attend." Camigwen opened a drawer and pulled out a missive. She passed it over to Amadine, but gestured for her to read it later. "Inside are the full list of Eyes and Ears the Yellow Ajah has as well as a few other contacts that we have used over the last five years. There are two to three that we have not heard from in a few months so you need to get to those first. I have arranged for you and the other sisters to stay at House Teobon, whose High Seat is Skechid Aran Teobon. They know of your coming and have been given your description as a point of contact. Do not delay your travel there. I would ask you to Travel, but that only invites too many questions." Camigwen took a deep breath. "You are to bear the burden of having to lead this delegation, I am afraid. Believe me when I say to trust noone. Noone! There is another list in there of the sisters who will be going with you. Their back grounds, their various activities and achievements over their time here in the Tower. Read and burn it. It must not leave your sight. For you and you alone."

Camigwen rose and walked towards a shelf where she removed a pack. From it she drew a small box. She was not pleased about having to do this. But unfortunately, the girl she trusted with the mission probably needed it more than she did. And if Amadine failed... No, she cannot fail. Or there would be a disaster. She walked back to her seat and sat down. UnWeaving the Ward on the box itself, she drew a pendant. She heard a sharp intake of breath from Amadine. The pendant looked ordinary, carved in the shape of a palm, fingers splayed, from age darkened amber. However, it throbbed with the resonance of the Power.

"This angreal belongs to the Ajah. And I entrust it to you only for this mission. It is not to be used unless in absolute need. It will be your advantage in times of dire straits. I expect it back when you return." Camigwen slid the box across the table and nodded as Amadine took it. "I do not need to explain to you how dangerous this will be. I expect no less from you but absolute caution. You will mention none of this to anyone. Including that Blue friend of yours." Amadinemoved to protest, but Camigwen stalled her with a raised hand. "What she knows, she knows. And there is nothing I can do to stop her from doing what she wishes. For she has ever been an unruly one." Camigwen smiled. Regalia had been one of her hopefuls to enter the Yellow Ajah, for her Talent with Healing had been relatively remarkable. But the Yellows would have bored her to death. Still, she hoped the girl had her heart in the right place. "Go now. Wait for the others in the antechamber. Read the missive. Burn it. There is a fireplace in the antechamber. Ask me questions if you have any, now."

Camigwen waited.

Wiping her hands on the towel, Carys turned away from the bucket and nodded to the novice waiting in the corner. The girl looked a little green around the gills, but she remained steadfast until the end. That was rare lately; for some reason she'd been receiving initiates – novice and Accepted alike – who tossed their cookies at the slightest hint of blood. It was bloody well ridiculous. And the way they looked at her – as if Healing would suck the blood back in that had already been spilled. The Altaran snorted at the thought, and stepped into her office as the white-clad girl heaved the dirtied bucket out of the corner and replaced it with a fresh one. She slipped out the doors and Carys looked down to her paperwork, glad that the clean up was now finished.

She'd barely begun on the newest set of papers when an Accepted rushed into her office. She jerked backward, looking toward the door hesitantly as she stopped in front of Carys's desk. The Yellow could practically see the girl's thoughts. She hadn't knocked, but the door had been open....which was more proper? Before she exploded, Carys held her hand out for the missive that she'd been in such a hurry to deliver. The girl plopped it into her open hand, dropped a quick curtsy and left immediately.

Such odd behavior. She frowned, watching the girl's retreating back. The feel of the envelope soon caught her attention though. Wait. Not the feel of the envelope, the feel around the envelope. This letter was Warded; no wonder the girl had been so nervous. Popping open the Seal, Carys straightened the parchment and read.

Dear Carys,

In the Light,

Camigwen

Interesting. And highly annoying. Carys was on duty in the Infirmary of the Mind for the next few days. Camigwen would know that, so how could she expect Carys to leave suddenly and leave all her patients behind? Gritting her teeth, the Altaran called out to the other Sister minding the Infirmary. Noting that she had to leave, the Altaran left swiftly, making haste up to her rooms. The woman had barely given her time to pack. She liked the firm First Weaver, but sometimes she asked a lot of her fellow Yellows.

Throwing a few dresses in a bag, Carys nearly ran to Camigwen's office. She was surprised to note that she was not the last one there, nor was she the first. Pleasantly in the middle, the Altaran dropped her bag to the floor and stood just to the right of the chairs in front of Camigwen's desk. Chairs that were occupied by two more of her Sisters. It was fairly hushed, those that were talking did so in low tones. Arching an eyebrow, Carys crossed her arms beneath her breasts and waited to hear what was so important.

Amadine felt the wards on the door dissolved and it opened to reveal Camigwen. She had been Amadine's mentor when she was still Accepted all those years ago, and on being raised Amadine had felt honoured to find that her mentor was the First Weaver herself. The Head of the Yellow Ajah, of course no one outside of the Ajah knew this.

Ama nodded respectfully to Camigwen as she passed through the door. "Good. You understood the words then. We have little time. I do not want you to be seen having been here before the others have arrived. So attend."

Camigwen went to her desk and from within a drawer took a rolled parchment, Amadine raised an eyebrow but Camigwen waved it away, as Amadine tucked the parchment into her belt pouch Camigwen spoke again, "Inside are the full list of Eyes and Ears the Yellow Ajah has as well as a few other contacts that we have used over the last five years. There are two to three that we have not heard from in a few months so you need to get to those first. I have arranged for you and the other sisters to stay at House Teobon, whose High Seat is Skechid Aran Teobon. They know of your coming and have been given your description as a point of contact. Do not delay your travel there. I would ask you to Travel, but that only invites too many questions." Camigwen inhaled deeply and continued, "You are to bear the burden of having to lead this delegation, I am afraid. Believe me when I say to trust noone. Noone! There is another list in there of the sisters who will be going with you. Their back grounds, their various activities and achievements over their time here in the Tower. Read and burn it. It must not leave your sight. For you and you alone."

Amadine nodded as Camigwen spoke, she had heard the First Weaver speak of Skechid before, they were close friends apparently. Amadine took a sharp breath as Camigwen said she was to lead the expedition, it was likely that she she would be the weakest in the One Power of the group, yet her placement as lead of the delegation place her above Sisters of much greater strength in the One Power. Amadine wondered who would be accompanying her and how they would react to that. Amadine was wondering on that point when Camigwen's last words sank in, There is another list in there of the sisters who will be going with you. Their back grounds, their various activities and achievements over their time here in the Tower. Read and burn it. It must not leave your sight. For you and you alone. LIGHT! Camigwen was unsure of the Sisters who would be accompanying Amadine, the thought of being around with a group that Camigwen did not trust set her on edge.

Before Amadine could speak Camigwen had moved to a set of shelves and taken down a small box. She returned to her seat and Amadine could feel the wards that had been set in place, they felt... nasty. The wards dissolved and Camigwen slip the box across the table to her. "This angreal belongs to the Ajah. And I entrust it to you only for this mission. It is not to be used unless in absolute need. It will be your advantage in times of dire straits. I expect it back when you return."

Carefully, Amadine picked it up and open the box to reveal a pendant carved from age-darkened amber, in the shape of an open hand. "I do not need to explain to you how dangerous this will be. I expect no less from you but absolute caution. You will mention none of this to anyone. Including that Blue friend of yours." Amadine frowned and opened her mouth to speak, but Camigwen forestalled her with a raised hand, "What she knows, she knows. And there is nothing I can do to stop her from doing what she wishes. For she has ever been an unruly one."

Amadine nodded slowly, so she was to have a trusted friend on this mission. Camigwen had just given permission for Regalia to accompany the delegation, though not in so many words. Ama's thought whirled, Miahna knew about the situation as well, perhaps she would attend if Amadine asked her to. Through Ray they had become firm friends, and knowing Mimi's background as she did there was no way that the woman could be... black. Amadine stomach churned at the thought of the Black Ajah but she steeled herself as Camigwen continued to speak.

"Go now. Wait for the others in the antechamber. Read the missive. Burn it. There is a fireplace in the antechamber. Ask me questions if you have any, now."

"I understand Camigwen." Amadine nodded her head respectfully to her mentor and pulled the door closed as she stepped out into the antechamber. Going to the window Amadine stood and pulled the rolled parchment from her belt pouch. Breaking the seal Amadine read quickly through the list of Yellow Ajah's contacts, she re-rolled that note and put it back in her pouch. Amadine read through the list of those who would accompany her on this mission, committing the list to memory was easy with her near photographic memory, she would able to recall the details on any one sister at will.

Moving to the fireplace Ama wove a thread of fire and touched it to the corner of the parchment. The thick paper flared up instantly and Amadine held it by the corner until the flames licked up towards her fingers. Dropping it into the fireplace Ama watched as the golden flames consumed the remainder of that secret missive. The flames flickered and died and the paper was replaced by a small pile of ash. Channelling, Amadine swept the fireplace clean and holding the ash in a ball of air she sent it across the room and out the window. She released it into the breeze and watched as the fine ash scattered. Satisfied Amadine took one of the comfortable armchairs and arranged her dark blue silken skirts. There with her mind whirling, she sat serenely and waited for her travelling companions to arrive.

Amadine al'Varine

• 2 weeks later...

That should be long enough. Camigwen took a deep breath and opened the door to her office with flows of Air.

"Enter." She called out to the six sisters seated in her antechamber. They rose gracefully and entered her office. Camigwen eyed each of them as they enetered, wishing, not for the first time, there were some way to read a person's mind. This would not be easy. "You must be wondering why you have been summoned each of you. This is not going to be a courtesy visit, I am afraid." Camigwen wove a Ward over the whole room again. "As you know, we have been receiving distressing news about the passing of several of our Eyes and Ears over the past months and this morning, I received word again. We have lost Jecarta Mindwyn." A collective gasp from the sisters. But none commented. "This! Cannot! Continue!" Camigwen snapped. "You will head out to Cairhien, stay at House Teobon and begin investigations. I have set Amadine as leader as she was personally in charge of most of the recruitment for the Eyes and Ears. You will listen to her as you would me." There were looks of discontent over this bit, Camigwen noted. "Leave immediately. I want reports. Constant reports."

With that, Camigwen dismissed them.

There were some sharp looks and somone actually grumbled when Camigwen said that Amadine would be the lead of this delegation. Ama was not surprised, she was weakest channeller in the party of six.

Camigwen dismissed them and herded them back out into the antechamber. Amadine looked around at the assembled sisters, could she trust any of them? Steeling herself she addressed the group. "I will meet you all at the East Gate Stables, we leave immediately." With that she swept out of the room and out of the Yellow Halls.

Amadine glided along the hallways of the Blue Ajah. A few eyebrows raised at her presence but most knew that dispite the coolness between the Blue and and the Yellow Ajahs, Amadine and Regalia had been friends since Novicehood.

Reaching Regalia's door Amadine found it warded, not surprisingly, considering the situation. Amadine knocked, three quick knocks, pause, two knocks, pause, then three again. It would tell Ray who was at her door, it was a combination they had worked out as Novices playing pranks but it continued to be useful now they were Aes Sedai.

As Ama watched the wards on the door melted away and she did not wait to be invited in before opening the door and slipping through, pushing it firmly closed behind her. She strode into the room seeing Ray and Miahna seated in the sitting room, she waited while Ray re-wove her wards before speaking.

"We have been ordered to Cairhien to investigate the latest death Ray. I am to lead the delegation and i want you to come. I want you both to come. We leave immmediately. I will meet you at the East Gate stables."

Ama had not given her friends a chance to answer, she did not need to. Amadine knew her friends would not be left behind on a mission of this magnitude. Ama did not wait for the wards to be disolved again, she simply passed through them and made her way back to the Yellow Halls to fetch her things.

Amadine al'Varine

When the door opened and the group was invited into the room Seheria let the others enter ahead of her, but she was not far behind, just the last one in the room. When she heard why they were summoned it was all she could do to keep her eyes from darting around the room to the other Aes Sedai. She kept her composure but her mind reeled trying to decide if Camigwen had chosen her because she knew more than she should, or if the woman really thought she was a good choice to send on the search.

There was no logical way the woman had any idea that Seheria had a part in this. She was a hard working person, when she started a task she would put all she had into it and she was determined to do the best job possible on any task she took on. The woman would know that. She was quick thinking, and stayed on task. She had a harshness to her that some of the others lacked, and that could help in investigating this. It must have been her dedication, her no nonsense attitude and her ability to get the job done quickly, cleanly and well, that had her standing in this room. She 'ooh'd' and 'ah'd' at all the right moments and looked shocked when she should. She had known for months this would be coming. There is no way the Eyes and Ears dying through out the lands could not get back to the Tower, she just never thought that she would be chosen to be on the search for the killers.

In another time she would have been truly irritated that another was chosen to lead the group, and she let out a calculated grumble when Amadine was named to keep up appearances, but she couldn't be more pleased that she had not been set as leader of this mission. Sometimes not being the shining star was a good thing. She could blend easier and it would look poorly on her if she were to lead them. She had full intention of leading this search, but the best place for her to lead was from the middle, not the front.

As quickly as they were summoned they were turned out to solve the problem. Seheria didn't even look up when Amadine began giving instructions on when and where to meet, she merely began to walk away, keeping it just on the verge of being respectful. Everyone knew Seheria would be pouty about not being the lead, but they knew she would fall into place as was expected. That is how she always was, and if she was any difference it would look suspicious. She quickly gathered her things and made her way to the stables. Everything that needed setting was taken care of earlier in the day, or quickly on her way to the stable. When she met up at the stable she was ready to go.

~Seheria Sedai

OOC: Are we continuing this here or elsewhere?