DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Elayne's Accepted trial.

GrandpaG

I remember reading the description of Nynaeve's trial for being raised to Accepted. And I remember reading about Egwene's experiences inside the terangreal. I don't remember reading about what Elayne experienced.

Didn't it matter? Was her experience boring? Or was it "none of our business" because it might have revealed something about her that we "really wouldn't want to know"? I don't know why but it bothers me that the three of them were raised to Accepted virtually together and that we got to see so much detail about the other two and nothing about Elayne.

I remember reading the description of Nynaeve's trial for being raised to Accepted. And I remember reading about Egwene's experiences inside the terangreal. I don't remember reading about what Elayne experienced.

Didn't it matter? Was her experience boring? Or was it "none of our business" because it might have revealed something about her that we "really wouldn't want to know"? I don't know why but it bothers me that the three of them were raised to Accepted virtually together and that we got to see so much detail about the other two and nothing about Elayne.

Perhaps the author felt that another trip through the rings was redundant as we already know the type of thing that happens in there. It would have been more pages without really adding anything.

Anyway, Elayne did undergo the Test for Accepted, it simply happened off screen:

"The Amyrlin Seat decided there was no point in waiting." Sheriam gave Egwene a sidelong smile. "Her exact words were, ‘Once you decide to gut a fish, there's no use waiting till it rots.' Elayne has already been through the arches by this time, and the Amyrlin means you to go through tonight as well. Not that I can see the point of such a hurry," she added, half to herself, "but when the Amyrlin commands, we obey."

And later:

But Nynaeve was seated in one of the two chairs, with Elayne's head buried in her lap. Elayne's shoulders shook to the sound of weeping, the softer weeping that comes after no energy is left for deeper sobs but the emotion still burns. Dampness shone on Nynaeve's cheeks, too. The Great Serpent gleaming on her hand, smoothing Elayne's hair, matched the ring on the hand Elayne used to clutch at Nynaeve's skirt.

Elayne lifted a face red and swollen from long crying, sniffing through her sobs when she saw Egwene. "I could not be that awful, Egwene. I just couldn't!"

It's a given that she would cry after the test. I would, too.

It just eats at me to know what she saw. She must have done something mean or nasty to someone?

So far we haven't seen exact occurrences for what Egwene and Nynaeve experienced. But, their trials did foreshadow real events (IMO). It bugs me not to know what Elayne did that was so bad.

Thanks for the comments and the quotes.

Love,

Gramps

Archived