DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Asmodean's killer

Monte

Having picked the right suspect, I don't have to say I never cared all along :) Also totally told you so. Unfortunately at length in that 200 page nightmare and a bit of the one that preceded it and broke the last board.

As far as the plot is concerned, Asmo's death was pretty meaningless because of Taim showing up a month later (not getting into things Taim). It was of interest to me because of the Q&A bits Jordan threw out that it could be figured out from the books.

The problem is (I don't have ToM yet) these hints:

1) Dark One didn't order a hit. (Not that important.)

2) Asmo couldn't be raised by the DO.

3) On 2, the reason he couldn't be raised were where and how he died both (paraphrase).

Since we've now seen Forsaken returned from the Eye (eaten by Nym), pass in Shienar (real world OP overdose--and wtf with that), something connected to TaR (Ishy in tDR killed by some kind of fiery white light but not balefire) and FinnLand (soul eaten or whatever)...I'm a bit stymied on point 3. Hmm, that and knocking out Sammy before PoV in next book. Probably other things.

Anyway, told you so kinda, even though it's still a mystery.

And just to nitpick;

The reveals, the 2 in the book as well as the glossary do not reveal Asmodean's killer - just that G was responsible for it. She did not kill Aran'gar and she did not kill Mesaana, so the company very much indicates that she did not kill Asmodean, but was a direct or indirect cause of his demise (i.e. he would not have died (at that time) if not for her direct action or inaction - Causality and culpability - rather than her direct act.

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read those passages and the glossary entry. (Un)fortunately (?) BS clarified the matter, I think at a signing in Paris (though it might have been at some other Q&A): It was Graendal, with the Balefire, in the Pantry (I think I stole this phrase from somewhere, but can't remember at moment from whom, so anyway: All credit to the originator). No further speculation needed. (Though I can't see how that fits with RJs famous "place and mode, not one but both"-quote. Balefire would be enought, so what about the place?)

• 2 years later...

And just to nitpick;

The reveals, the 2 in the book as well as the glossary do not reveal Asmodean's killer - just that G was responsible for it. She did not kill Aran'gar and she did not kill Mesaana, so the company very much indicates that she did not kill Asmodean, but was a direct or indirect cause of his demise (i.e. he would not have died (at that time) if not for her direct action or inaction - Causality and culpability - rather than her direct act.

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read those passages and the glossary entry. (Un)fortunately (?) BS clarified the matter, I think at a signing in Paris (though it might have been at some other Q&A): It was Graendal, with the Balefire, in the Pantry (I think I stole this phrase from somewhere, but can't remember at moment from whom, so anyway: All credit to the originator). No further speculation needed. (Though I can't see how that fits with RJs famous "place and mode, not one but both"-quote. Balefire would be enought, so what about the place?)

Bump!

Sounds like one of those "Clue" quotes  :tongue:

In this case, the glossary reveal was more Harriet's choice, not Brandon. I forget the exact process, but the only notes RJ left about Asmo's killer was a post it note on top of a typed up fan theory that said "this is right."

Brandon joked about revealing it to readers in a similar fashion by just sticking it in the glossary and Harriet loved the idea. I forget if they went straight to that or if Brandon wrote it in a draft and Harriet didn't like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sanderson's reveals are so unlike Jordan's. Jordan was always subtle, always kept you guessing. Sanderson hits the reveals home like a hammer leaving no doubt as to what just happened. The characters in TGS and ToM seem to have developed a clairvoyance they never before came close to having. Chalk part of that up to character development, but I liked Jordan's subtlety. That said, someone PLEASE tell me that the reveal to Asmodean's killer wasn't in the glossary under Graendal? That...can't...be...right. Please point out the passage that I MUST have missed, making me either a poor reader or Sanderson more subtle than I thought.

Otherwise, I think I'm gonna throw up, after having just finished TGS and ToM for the first time.

Oh, it was in the Glossary ^_^. Harriet apparently likes people to read those. Now, it was also implied a couple of times in the book (an early scene with Graendal, and a late scene).

But why would you read a glossary after reading a book?

I always liked reading the glossary after as a sort of recap, and because sometimes it would clarify some things for me.

Archived