DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Prophecies of the Shadow

Eric Shepherd

Also I just don't see how Hopper's death can really be said to have shaken the hearts of men without massively reaching. The exact words are "his destruction shall bring fear and sorrw to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself".

Perhaps this part of the prophesy is yet to happen.

For example, is it possible that the wolves Luc slays in Telaranrhiod are captured by the Dark One and reborn as Darkhounds? Hopper turned into a Darkhound matches the prophesy and would certainly shake the hearts of men, particularly Perrin.

They were wolves, once. The souls of wolves, anyway, caught and twisted by the Shadow. That was the core used to make Darkhounds, the Shadowbrothers.

The supporting evidence is pretty thin, but during the defence of Emond's Field, Luc slays many wolves. Later on Perrin's army is circled by a large pack of Darkhounds. The Aes Sedai who is an expert in darkhounds (can't think of her name) is surprised by such a large/new pack.

Rowin

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

After re-reading the book, I think the Broken Wolf is Jain Farstrider. After Matt and Tom escape, Tom says(approx.) "The world will want to know what happened to this man." I think this corresponds what the dark prophecy is saying.

Lo, it shall come upon the world that the prison of the Greatest One shall grow weak, like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again, His

glorious cloak shall smother the Pattern of all things, and the Great Lord shall stretch forth His hand to claim what is His. The rebellious

nations shall be laid barren, their children caused to weep. There shall be none but Him, and those who have turned their eyes to His majesty.

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who

will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and

be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.

And then shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and he shall take our skin, for

our flesh shall serve Him, and He shall take our lips, for only Him will we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion,

and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

—From The Prophecies of the Shadow

Just my two cents:

One Eyed Fool - Mat.

Halls of Mourning - Camlyn maybe, but I think TOG most likely.

1st Among Vermin - Rand,

Him Who Will Destroy - Dark One - this one is solidified by the last line of the prophesy - Beg for your destruction!

those all seem pretty obvious.

the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come.

Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers.

And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.

This last bit I believe is ALL about Perrin.

We know that Rand won't succeed without Perrin and Mat. So all the dark prophecy is basing it's win on is the destruction of one of them.

They are mistaken.

I believe this will happen:

Perrin will hunt Slayer. His Pride is his new ability to separate himself from the Wolf. In the world of dreams he'll become Man and Wolf.

He'll use that new trick to kill Slayer; however, the Forsaken will surprise him and kill the man side of Perrin.

Perrin will be forced to live on in the dream World as a Wolf. The Forsaken won't realize the wolf is Perrin, and he'll get away.

Perrin's body will be dead, so they will lay his body - Gawyn's body, Gaul's body, and Min's body on a boat and give them a nice funeral at the end of this thing.

That will also fulfill the Foretelling Nicola had - 3 on a boat + He who is Dead yet Lives. Perrin will live on as a wolf - ironically enough, since he's been trying to avoid that.

Perrin's death will no doubt shake the very will of all his followers, but his ability to live on in the Dream World will be the key to defeating the Dark One.

There is no Salvation this side of Death. I believe he'll meet up with Rand and Nyaneve in the Dream World after Rand's death,

Nyaneve will pull Rand into the Waking World using the trick she learned from Moggy and Birgette- thus resurrecting him.

Whatever Perrin and Rand do in the Dream World + Whatever Mat and Rand do in the Waking World = Dark One's Resealing.

I believe that Rand and Perrin will somehow reseal the Dark One in the Dream World, and Rand might somehow also reseal him in the Regular World.

Forgiveness, @DocBean, but if you believe that Rand will die (prior to completing his task), wouldn't Occam's razor suggest we need not look farther for someone 'whom Death has known' and whose 'destruction will bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and [...] shake their very will itself'? Is it just the phrase 'Broken Wolf' that's bothering you about it being Rand?

It makes no sense for the Broken Wolf to be Rand. After the Broken Wolf has fallen,

And then shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and he shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve Him, and He shall take our lips, for only Him will we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

Look, there's the Broken Champion. How many times does Rand have to die?

Forgiveness, @DocBean, but if you believe that Rand will die (prior to completing his task), wouldn't Occam's razor suggest we need not look farther for someone 'whom Death has known' and whose 'destruction will bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and [...] shake their very will itself'? Is it just the phrase 'Broken Wolf' that's bothering you about it being Rand?

I can't see the broken wolf being Rand at all. Makes absolutely no sense.

However, I can see Rand NOT dying. I've just always believed that Rand will die, and Nyaneve will resurrect him via Moggy/Birgette Trick.

I think it will be odd if they both die, but I do expect Perrin to die after reading this prophecy.

I am very much expecting Perrin to die partially and live on in the Wolf Dream.

Then again, I also convinced myself that Egwene would bond Galad to unite the White Tower and Cloaks in TOM, and that never happened.

Oh, thank god I'm not the only person who sees it that way. Part of the reason I didn't even cover the other options in the FAQ is that people have been coming up with every possible person to be the Broken Wolf except for Rand, while I feel like Rand is the only really logical choice. The 'wolf' bit seems to be a bit of a red herring - and a good one, I have to admit. But it doesn't disqualify Rand. He has referred to himself as a wolf before, and also, the name Rand comes from Randall and Randolph which mean 'wild dog' and 'guard wolf' respectively.

Oh, thank god I'm not the only person who sees it that way. Part of the reason I didn't even cover the other options in the FAQ is that people have been coming up with every possible person to be the Broken Wolf except for Rand, while I feel like Rand is the only really logical choice. The 'wolf' bit seems to be a bit of a red herring - and a good one, I have to admit. But it doesn't disqualify Rand. He has referred to himself as a wolf before, and also, the name Rand comes from Randall and Randolph which mean 'wild dog' and 'guard wolf' respectively.

The problem with this approach is how would any reader make the connection of the Broken Wolf to Rand?

I would hope Sanderson wouldn't throw a line in there where Cadsuane says to Rand: "Hey Rand, do you know what the names Randall or Randolph mean?"

Sanderson almost never leaves room for interpretation, he always spells it out for the reader, so even the most casual reader understands what's going on, and why.

His characters always have a stroke of genius while in battle or about to die. They make the connections in their heads, and explain everything to the reader.

With all of Jordan's prophesies in hindsight you can look at them and make the connections.

If it's some sort of red herring, and Sanderson somehow links Rand to being the "Broken Wolf" then I'll blame team Jordan for thinking Sanderson was ready to create his own prophesy.

They should have said, "No, sorry. Just follow the notes Brandon." with a little pat on the head.

personally, the "Broken Wolf" part is the one that bothers me most about it being Rand. and why shouldn't it? Terez found one time when Rand refers to himself as a wolf, clearly in a metaphorical sense.

https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dcjspjqg_993c9jzmgdv&revision=_latest

without that reference I would dismiss that theory out of hand. even with it I'm very skeptical. Rand is referred to as wolfhound a lot more often than as a wolf. Still, her explanation of this theory is the only one which addresses all parts of this prophecy concerning the Broken Wolf. none of the others that I've seen do.

It makes no sense for the Broken Wolf to be Rand. After the Broken Wolf has fallen,

And then shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls shall bow before Him, and he shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve Him, and He shall take our lips, for only Him will we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the Broken Champion, and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

Look, there's the Broken Champion. How many times does Rand have to die?

you have something there but it can probably be explained away (not that I buy the theory of Rand being the Broken wolf at this point).

First, it's actually not clear how many times he'll have to die. at least once, then be resurrected in some fashion and defeat the DO. he might (or might not) die in that last fight. we don't know how exactly that last fight will proceed. The DO might appear to be winning there for a time, hence the darkness that comes. but then Rand's blood on the rocks does its thing and the light comes back etc.

The problem with this approach is how would any reader make the connection of the Broken Wolf to Rand?

Like I said, it's a red herring. Nothing to say that we're supposed to be able to figure it out at all. Also, Rand doesn't even know of this prophecy, so why would anyone care if he figures it out? I bet Moridin knows what it means, despite what he told Graendal. Or rather, as he told her - there are many ways to interpret any given prophecy.

I don't think a prophecy revealed on the last page of the current book would deal with what has already happened in that book. I would think that it if revealing things to come. I'm sure that after Mat finds out that he had Verin's letter in hand and could have prevented the entire attack; he would blame himself for each and every death that occurred, especially Oliver's, if Oliver is in fact dead. Perrin is due for a beat down and who knows what the wolf ref is about?

First, with regards to the literary considerations, there's nothing to suggest this prophecy's Brandon's doing. This isn't the Stormlight Archives, it's the WoT, and such main plot elements as a ta'veren dying would certainly be orchestrated by RJ.

Second, As to the Coming of the Lord of the Evening, and his subsequent spilling of Rand's blood (we're all in agreement that the Broken Champion is Rand, right?), that's not the same as killing him. He need not die a second time, though of course he might.

Third, recall that 'Death has known' the 'Broken Wolf'. Prior to his being 'consumed by the Midnight Towers'. So, if we take the wolf part to mean Perrin, how exactly has Death known him? Once you discount Perrin as the 'Broken Wolf', I don't see Rand as being any less likely than anyone else. Indeed, the use of capitals suggests this might be a reference to Rand and Moridin's link. Even if it isn't, Rand now remembers taking his own life as LTT. Surely it's natural to attribute that line to him over anyone else we know from the series (unless someone argues that it might be a transmigrated Forsaken or Birgitte, but that seems weak to me).

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.

After looking at this I would bet that Perrin loses Faeile? in some way and becomes the Broken Wolf. He has known Death, Slayer, and will fall in battle, possibly to the Seanchan.

I think that this entire passage is about Perrin. Mat traveling the halls of mourning and Rand breaking the last seal signal the time that this will take place.

[Perrin] has known Death, Slayer

Ah, clever. That interpretation's not my cup of tea, but I guess it's plausible.

I wish we knew what prophecies make it clear that Mat and Perrin are vital in the Last Battle, so we could speculate whether they may yet hold with one of them dead.

[Perrin] has known Death, Slayer

Ah, clever. That interpretation's not my cup of tea, but I guess it's plausible.

I wish we knew what prophecies make it clear that Mat and Perrin are vital in the Last Battle, so we could speculate whether they may yet hold with one of them dead.

I don't think there was a prophecy that stated this. If I remember correctly it was a viewing by Min that Mat and Perrin had to be there along with Moraine for the Light to win. Didn't guarantee a win but would definately be a loss without the Trilogy plus Moraine.

So here is where we're at:

Obvious-ish:

Dark One - Greatest One, He/Him, Him who will Destroy,

Mat - One-Eyed Fool

Rand - Broken Champion, First Among Vermin

Perrin - Fallen Blacksmith

Forsaken - Midnight Towers

Up in the air:

Lord of the Evening - Could be Moridin since Rand is Lord of the Morning, Could be the Dark One.

Broken Wolf - Slayer, Perrin, Rand, Fain, or Ituralde - Perrin and Rand seem to be the strongest case.

Death - probably real death, or could be Moridin which means "Death" - "Yeah, Perrin I met that guy once." said Moridin

If the Broken Wolf is Fain or Slayer - why would their destruction bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men? so they're probably out.

Ituralde or Elyas, - not really that important. men would be afraid and sorrowful, but i think most of them will be too busy fighting to care.

If it's Perrin - why is he referred to as two separate names? Fallen Blacksmith - He's the only blacksmith so that's him.

When has he fallen? Probably not yet. So his fall is coming. if his fall is his death then death has known him, and it will break some hearts.

He's whole as Man and Wolf. If the man part of him dies he's broken, but not dead.

Why Broken Wolf - because he's two things, Wolf and Blacksmith.

Isn't that too obvious - probably.

If it's Rand - Why is he referred to as three separate names - because he's Rand.

Why Broken Wolf - Red Herring, just to throw off the reader.

How will that be explained? - some don't think it has to.

Had Death known him? - Most would say yes death WILL know him soon. And Moridin and him are super close so i'd say they know each other too.

Rand would have to be both the Broken Champion, and the Broken Wolf. Might as well call him Humpty-Dumpty.

We do have some unfulfilled prophecies about Perrin, unless the 'trees flowering all around him' refers to the hill where his family is buried, and the 'broken crown' refers to his marriage to Faile.

Also, how does Slayer=Death?

Obvious-ish:

Mat - One-Eyed Fool

Up in the air:

Lord of the Evening - Could be Moridin since Rand is Lord of the Morning, Could be the Dark One.

Broken Wolf - Slayer, Perrin, Rand, Fain, or Ituralde - Perrin and Rand seem to be the strongest case.

Death - probably real death, or could be Moridin which means "Death" - "Yeah, Perrin I met that guy once." said Moridin

If the Broken Wolf is Fain or Slayer - why would their destruction bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men? so they're probably out.

Ituralde or Elyas, - not really that important. men would be afraid and sorrowful, but i think most of them will be too busy fighting to care.

If it's Perrin - why is he referred to as two separate names? Fallen Blacksmith - He's the only blacksmith so that's him.

When has he fallen? Probably not yet. So his fall is coming. if his fall is his death then death has known him, and it will break some hearts.

He's whole as Man and Wolf. If the man part of him dies he's broken, but not dead.

If it's Rand - Why is he referred to as three separate names - because he's Rand.

Had Death known him? - Most would say yes death WILL know him soon. And Moridin and him are super close so i'd say they know each other too.

Rand would have to be both the Broken Champion, and the Broken Wolf. Might as well call him Humpty-Dumpty.

I agree with just about everything there apart from the First Among Vermin.

One minute Rand is a Champion, next he's Vermin? Nah, it just doesn't sit right, I think Vermin must be Fain.

We do have some unfulfilled prophecies about Perrin, unless the 'trees flowering all around him' refers to the hill where his family is buried, and the 'broken crown' refers to his marriage to Faile.

Slayer was given powers by the DO allowing him to switch between Luc and Isam at will. He hunts TAR at will and is more or less the Shadow's assassin. I can easily see how a prophecy from the shadow would name him Death. The only thing he does is kill.

Obvious-ish:

Mat - One-Eyed Fool

Up in the air:

I agree with just about everything there apart from the First Among Vermin.

One minute Rand is a Champion, next he's Vermin? Nah, it just doesn't sit right, I think Vermin must be Fain.

I also don't agree that the First among Vermin is Rand for that very reason. He is never associated with rats. I think Ishy calls him vermin once as an insult but that's it. also, as you say inverting the meaning like this, that is calling Rand the first among Vermin as an insult in one breath and then calling him a Champion in the other makes no sense. It could be Fain or more likely Moridin IMO. we know that Ishy/Moridin just loves rats. and he is supposed to be shadow's champion and so the last man standing on their side to face Rand in the final moments.

Meh,

"Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers"

I hate to burst any of the bubbles here, not saying I’m right, but why has no one considered that the “Broken Wolf” may actually be a forsaken? First Death is a person as it is written here. So who could possibly be the ultimate “Death” the Dark One. So I would postulate that the “Broken Wolf” is in fact Lanfear. We have every reason to believe her still important due to the text in the last book. I’m not saying I’m right but I think the context here is leading a ton more support to being one of the Big Bads.

I also don't agree that the First among Vermin is Rand for that very reason. He is never associated with rats. I think Ishy calls him vermin once as an insult but that's it. also, as you say inverting the meaning like this, that is calling Rand the first among Vermin as an insult in one breath and then calling him a Champion in the other makes no sense. It could be Fain or more likely Moridin IMO. we know that Ishy/Moridin just loves rats. and he is supposed to be shadow's champion and so the last man standing on their side to face Rand in the final moments.

This is Dark Prophecy. They consider the Good guys vermin, something beneath them, and weak.

Moridin has called Rand and himself Champions. So even he is probably interpreting this Prophecy as Rand.

The Broken Champion, in the DF point-of-view is the loser. So that's Rand to them.

However, just because Rand is broken doesn't mean he loses.

Remember when Ivan Drago said he would Break Rocky in Rocky IV?

Calling Rand the Champion of the Light isn't saying that you believe he's better then you are.

He's just the best of the Vermin, and if you're Moridin, the Champion of the Dark you'll Break Him, ...until all the Soviets start cheering for Rocky that is

In the mind of a Darkfriend, Rand is just the best the Vermin have to offer. He's their Champion, the first among vermin, and he'll be broken.

This is Dark Prophecy. They consider the Good guys vermin, something beneath them, and weak.

Moridin has called Rand and himself Champions. So even he is probably interpreting this Prophecy as Rand.

The Broken Champion, in the DF point-of-view is the loser. So that's Rand to them.

However, just because Rand is broken doesn't mean he loses.

Remember when Ivan Drago said he would Break Rocky in Rocky IV?

Calling Rand the Champion of the Light isn't saying that you believe he's better then you are.

He's just the best of the Vermin, and if you're Moridin, the Champion of the Dark you'll Break Him, ...until all the Soviets start cheering for Rocky that is

In the mind of a Darkfriend, Rand is just the best the Vermin have to offer. He's their Champion, the first among vermin, and he'll be broken.

But done "Rats" work for the DO? I mean if it was a term to be degrading wouldn't they say something they think is degrading? Like first among IDK Kittens, or bunnies. You see my point?

Slayer was given powers by the DO allowing him to switch between Luc and Isam at will. He hunts TAR at will and is more or less the Shadow's assassin. I can easily see how a prophecy from the shadow would name him Death. The only thing he does is kill.

It seems weak to me, partly because Slayer doesn't seem special enough to get the capital Death like Moridin or the Lord of the Grave himself. But then there is the reaction to the destruction of the Broken Wolf, which doesn't fit Perrin either. I've seen some try to argue otherwise, but if Perrin dies, people will mourn, but there are too few people who know his importance for their will to be shaken by it directly. Add that to the fact that we already know that Rand's death is going to cause grand emotional reactions from other prophecies, and it's pretty obvious that Rand is the Broken Wolf. Which is, I imagine, why a red herring was required for this prophecy.

Another point is the connection between Egwene's dream - showing that Moridin is the greatest of the Midnight Towers - and the word 'consume', which fits the wording of the foreshadowing way back in TEOTW:

A red blur drifted across the mirrors. He spun, trying to catch it, but in every mirror it drifted behind his own image and vanished. Then it was back again, but not as a blur. Ba'alzamon strode across the mirrors, ten thousand Ba'alzamons, searching, crossing and re-crossing the silvery mirrors.

He found himself staring at the reflection of his own face, pale and shivering in the knife-edge cold. Ba'alzamon's image grew behind his, staring at him; not seeing, but staring still. In every mirror, the flames of Ba'alzamon's face raged behind him, enveloping, consuming, merging. He wanted to scream, but his throat was frozen. There was only one face in those endless mirrors. His own face. Ba'alzamon's face. One face.

And of course, the word 'merge' was used in Min's viewing:

"The viewings?"

She folded her arms and frowned up at him through her lashes. She chewed her lip and frowned at the door. She shook her head and muttered under her breath. At last she said, "There is only one, really. I was exaggerating. I saw you and another man. I couldn’t make out either face, but I knew one was you. You touched, and seemed to merge into one another, and... " Her mouth tightened worriedly, and she went on in a very small voice. "I don’t know what it means, Rand, except that one of you dies, and one doesn’t. I - Why are you grinning? This isn’t a joke, Rand. I do not know which of you dies."

And finally, Rand's description of the link uses the word 'touch', multiple times including the first time he recognized Moridin's face:

It had been a strange sensation, as if he were… touching… the other man somehow. Only not physically. A residue hung on. It seemed he only had to move a hair’s breadth, in any direction, to touch him again.

Archived