A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Prophecies of the Shadow

Eric Shepherd

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You haven't supported your ideas.

Have.

Granted neither has Mr Ares. Yes, it hurts me too when Terez is actually right about something, but there's the possibility here that it's not entirely bunk. Granted it's hard to tell because all we have is drive-by douche.

Do you like John Cage?

What was this thread even about to start with? Well, moderators can try to do something sensible with it if they want :)

What do we know about Mashadar? Very little for sure. It eats some shadowspawn on two occasions off screen, and the heroes run from it a few times. We can probably infer SL corrupts in some way (Liah and EotW maybe) safely, beyond that, it didn't appear much. Some Aes Sedai talk about it, but that's all judgement call.

For Fain, we have his merry bands that we see mostly through his eyes (he's not the most reliable source). Toram Riatin, for the little we know about him, and he was always a douche according to Caraline Damodred. And ToM prologue.

Dunno what the BWB says, see the disclaimer in it anyway.

Don't know what kind of formal Q&A we have along this line inquiry. Certainly some, but enough to hang anything on for sure?

I predict that Rand will get balefired by Ishy using the TP but since he rides into the last battle on Bela she deflects the balefire and it goes through fain into the hole in the bore, making the DO kill himself and perma-sealing the bore. That's what I call killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Yes, it is a product of a specific evil. No-one is denying that. It is, however, a different product of that evil.
It doesn't seem to be very different at all, though. And the differences are easily enough explained by the fact that it's part of Fain now, rather than just mindless.
Saying it's part of Fain now doesn't really explain anything. And the differences seen - including its being part of Fain - are quite significant. In much the same way as Avendoraldera grew from a cutting of Avendesora, but is not Avendesora itself, so did this grow from the corruption of SL now housed in Fain, but is not mashadar. You have as yet not backed up anything you've said, nor have you shown anything I said to be factually inaccurate - the ideas I called unsupported were unsupported. Unless you have something beyond "but it's pretty much the same", I suggest you leave it. Unless mashadar was able to get from SL to Fain, this is not mashadar. According to RJ "The evil power in Padan Fain has neither decreased nor increased, nor has that in the dagger [as a result of SL being destroyed]. The corruption in him was partly caused by the taint on Shadar Logoth, but it didn't constitute a real connection to the city." So how did mashadar get to him? And why? And wouldn't that constitute an increase in his power? No, the mist Fain produces is his own power, not mashadar. Him being able to produce it has nothing to do with SL - had that been around still, we would have Fain with his mist and mashadar still in the city. I think it is important people recognise that distinction.

You have as yet not backed up anything you've said, nor have you shown anything I said to be factually inaccurate - the ideas I called unsupported were unsupported.

No, they weren't, and still aren't. It's an easy thing to say though, isn't it? If you're enough of an asshole, you can beat people over the head with sentences like that and expect them kowtow to your version of truth, but only stupid people will fall for it.

PS—Here's the quote I mentioned earlier:

BENJAMIN MOLDOVAN (29 JULY 2010)

Mashadar is gone, isn't it? Would it really hurt to say whether the True Power would be affected?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Have we ever confirmed that Mashadar is dead? :)

Not sure what you're getting at. The idea that Mashadar is inherently mindless? That only Mordeth was not killed by it (but rather snared)? I'm not sure what the problem is. First of all, we've got an evil power we don't know much about. We know that Moiraine was wrong about its origin. She told the story as if it were the people in Aridhol who created Mashadar with their paranoia, but we know from Brandon that's not true.

You have as yet not backed up anything you've said, nor have you shown anything I said to be factually inaccurate - the ideas I called unsupported were unsupported.

No, they weren't, and still aren't. It's an easy thing to say though, isn't it? If you're enough of an asshole, you can beat people over the head with sentences like that and expect them kowtow to your version of truth, but only stupid people will fall for it.

Still no counter-argument? Typical.

PS—Here's the quote I mentioned earlier:

BENJAMIN MOLDOVAN (29 JULY 2010)

Mashadar is gone, isn't it? Would it really hurt to say whether the True Power would be affected?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Have we ever confirmed that Mashadar is dead? :)

A useless quote - it says nothing of substance.

Archived