DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TGH: Who killed Galldrian, who killed Barthanes?

Khosann

Hello,

I wonder who killed Galldrian. Did Tom kill him? Is there a solid proof from novels or RPG books? If not Thom then who? Forsaken to destabilize Cairhien?

Who killed Barthanes? A Gholam? Then why Forsaken killed Barthanes? Because he helped Fain, a DO renegade? Or did they kill him to start riots to destabilize Cairhien?

Then why Forsaken killed Barthanes? Because he helped Fain, a DO renegade?
Yes. As to how, we'd all just be guessing; I don't see any answers in the interview database. There is a certain similarity between
If you mean Barthanes, you’re too late. Everybody’s talking about it already. He is dead. His servants found him this morning, torn to pieces in his bedchamber. The only way they knew it was him was his head stuck on a spike over the fireplace.
When Idrien came to Fel’s study later, she stared at what was piled none too neatly on the floor beside the table. It took her a moment to realize what it was, and when she did, she fainted before she could get a scream out. However many times she heard of someone torn limb from limb, she had never seen it before.
and that Barthanes was killed in his mansion surrounded by guards would seem to indicate it wasn't Trollocs or simply Darkfriends, but it isn't dispositive.

If it were the gholam, this would seem to indicate that Ishamael was ordering it around at this point, which is interesting; when did Sammael get his paws on it? Was it Sammael who ordered the hit on Herid Fel?

Then why Forsaken killed Barthanes? Because he helped Fain, a DO renegade?
Yes. As to how, we'd all just be guessing; I don't see any answers in the interview database. There is a certain similarity between
If you mean Barthanes, you’re too late. Everybody’s talking about it already. He is dead. His servants found him this morning, torn to pieces in his bedchamber. The only way they knew it was him was his head stuck on a spike over the fireplace.
When Idrien came to Fel’s study later, she stared at what was piled none too neatly on the floor beside the table. It took her a moment to realize what it was, and when she did, she fainted before she could get a scream out. However many times she heard of someone torn limb from limb, she had never seen it before.
and that Barthanes was killed in his mansion surrounded by guards would seem to indicate it wasn't Trollocs or simply Darkfriends, but it isn't dispositive.

If it were the gholam, this would seem to indicate that Ishamael was ordering it around at this point, which is interesting; when did Sammael get his paws on it? Was it Sammael who ordered the hit on Herid Fel?

Yes as in "Barthanes is killed by Forsaken because he helped Fain who has rebelled against DO"?

But was the DO after Fain at that point? Two or three weeks earlier, they broke him out of Fal Dara. Lanfear could have killed him the same day that Rand grabbed the Horn from him but she just ignored him.

I always figured that Barthanes was killed by Lanfear because she asked him about Rand and he got all uppity with her because he was about to become the King of Cairhein and felt he could talk to her as an equal and she went all psycho-bitch on him and tore him apart.

I don't remember where I'm getting this hunch from, but i don't think the gholam has been released from its stasis box yet, the one Sammuel found. My bet would be on Slayer; we know he was sent to hunt Fain in the two rivers just a little later. As for why the shadow forces set Fain free, they thought he was just a darkfriend still, he didn't betray them until he took control of the party.

Yes as in "Barthanes is killed by Forsaken because he helped Fain who has rebelled against DO"?
But was the DO after Fain at that point? Two or three weeks earlier, they broke him out of Fal Dara.
I'd say yes to those two questions. Yes, they'd broken him out of Fal Dara only a few days earlier, but he'd spent his time trying (and eventually succeeding) to psychically overpower the Myrddraal who had orders to take the Horn to the Blight. Ishamael and Lanfear are watching Rand like a hawk at this point, so they quickly realize that Fain has gone rogue. Barthanes is killed, I'd guess, in punishment for his assistance with Fain's plan to ensnare Rand. Probably by Ishamael; Lanfear cares about Rand and not about Darkfriends, while Ba'alzamon seems to try to have his fingers in as many pies as possible.

I don't remember where I'm getting this hunch from, but i don't think the gholam has been released from its stasis box yet, the one Sammuel found. My bet would be on Slayer; we know he was sent to hunt Fain in the two rivers just a little later. As for why the shadow forces set Fain free, they thought he was just a darkfriend still, he didn't betray them until he took control of the party.

It was much later when we see Slayer hunting Fain. Remember that when Rand used the Portal Stones to take them to Toman Head 4 months passes, then the events at Falme and then Rand sit in the mountains for a while and the entire 3rd book takes place before we see Slayer hunting Fain.

Thom killed Galldrian because Galldrian had sent cutthroats after him and they killed Dena, his girlfriend/pupil. So far as I can remember we aren't told who killed Barthanes or why. As was mentioned, all we have is a description of how his remains are found. I doubt it was someone hunting Fain because he was didn't truly become considered a renegade by the Shadow until after the events at Toman Head. Might have been Lanfear checking on what Barthanes was told by Fain and what went on with Rand at the party. Or another random Forsaken, just getting their jollies on.

According to Encyclopaedia, Barthanes was torn limb from limb.

It seems certain shadowspawn killed him. I would guess myrddraal since the gholam might not have been released from the stasis box then.

Reason for Barthanes death, that seems uncertain right now.

Archived