DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rogue Chanellers

Jblaylock

Hell, now that I got myself on this rampage of "why don't they" I can't seem to stop.

The characters in WOT who can channel are so dramatic and extreme. It's either "I must be an Aes'Sedai who is perfect and work towards all that is good in the name of the light" or else it's "I must pledge myself to the dark one and work to destroy all that is good and yadda yadda yadda."

Why aren't there any rogue channelers who just don't give a crap one way or the other? I mean, I guess the kin are sort of like that. But even they have grouped themselves together and kind of have rules and regulations and whatnot.

I'd like to see one male or female channeler who has just done their own thing, abused their use of the one power for selfish reasons and personal gain, even at the expense (or death) of others, but hasn't necessarily pledged himself to the dark one or become a dark friend or anything. Basically, a rogue gray channeler who has no affiliation and cares little about what's going on in the world. Hell, this person could even be against the dark one, so to speak, at least on the inside, but not really care to do anything about it because he/she is more concerned with living his/her life. Like a Han Solo of channelers.

That's the one thing I feel that's missing from an otherwise perfect series.

:darkone:

Well, in all fairness, Han wasn't a Force-sensitive and, while there are examples of rogue Force wielders in the Star Wars galaxy, they abound in the Expanded Universe but not in the official canon. In the SW films, all Force wielders are either Jedi or Sith, which is basically, the same situation that you've mentioned. IMO, the roguish, selfish Han-like role in the WoT belongs to Mat, even to the heroic heart of gold lying underneath the seemingly egotistical surface.

But, I get your point and I agree. It'd be interesting to see some roguish, isolated and self-sufficent channelers out there, who used their powers for themselves, w/o giving a hoot about all this Light vs. Darkness struggle. But still, do you think the White Tower would allow any female to go unnoticed? Even wilders? And, do you think both sides wouldn't try to find a way to recruit the rogue channeler(s) to their cause or else?

...do you think the White Tower would allow any female to go unnoticed? Even wilders? And, do you think both sides wouldn't try to find a way to recruit the rogue channeler(s) to their cause or else?

I think it is possible and plausible. A single rogue channeler who only does things for his/her own benifit wouldn't need to use the OP in huge amounts for grand tasks or anything. Small bits of compulsion here, small weaves of air or fire there. He or she could stay under the raidar. Hell, if the Kin, a group of hundreds (hundreds, right?) can remain undetected, and the fact that the windfinders of the sea folk and the wise ones of the aiel are all channelers can go unoticed by the almighty White Tower, who is too blinded by their arrogance to even consider the possibility that they might be missing someone, or ones, then a single rogue channeler could easily remain hidden. Hell, if one of the Forsaken can remain hidden in the White Tower itself, right under their noses, then a rogue channeler should be able to hide safely elsewhere.

I think it is possible and plausible. A single rogue channeler who only does things for his/her own benifit wouldn't need to use the OP in huge amounts for grand tasks or anything. Small bits of compulsion here, small weaves of air or fire there. He or she could stay under the raidar. Hell, if the Kin, a group of hundreds (hundreds, right?) can remain undetected, and the fact that the windfinders of the sea folk and the wise ones of the aiel are all channelers can go unoticed by the almighty White Tower, who is too blinded by their arrogance to even consider the possibility that they might be missing someone, or ones, then a single rogue channeler could easily remain hidden. Hell, if one of the Forsaken can remain hidden in the White Tower itself, right under their noses, then a rogue channeler should be able to hide safely elsewhere.

Yeah, in all its pride, the White Tower thought that all female channelers would come to them, instead of going out there and doing a "be all you can be" intense kinds of recruiting campaigns. Guess getting switched and scrubbing pots as novices wasn't all that enticing to young female channelers, heh heh...so, their numbers dwindled and other factions of female channelers (kin, Wise Ones, et. al.) came to be and could go unnoticed for years. But hey, these are "Eyes Se-blind" were talking about, after all.

So, following your logic, I'm thinking it's obvious that there must a wilder or two who slipped right by Tar Valon's grip and has remained unnoticed; a male channeler or two that decided not to come out in the open, because of fear that Rand's amnesty at the Black Tower wouldn't hold up or something. But if this was the case, then the arcs of such characters wouldn't make too much sense as part of the overall narrative. You'd have to get them involved somehow, so you could fit them in there (taking your Han example, the dude ends up joining the Alliance and becomes indispensable to the main storyline. No Han coming back at the Death Star and Vader would've fried his own kid and the rebels would've been history).

So, what do you think that a roguish channeler(s) should do, that they'd be interesting enough to include in a series that, truth be told, may already have an overflow of secondary/minor characters and equally secondary/minor plots?

I thing a fair reasoning for this is that many sparkers end up dieing before they are able to properly harness the OP. And the ones that don't often form a block. And most of those don't even realize that they channel.

So it stands to reason that so few sparkers become full channelers, and that the WT does find and rein in some, that very few would be left to pursue the path you describe.

At least, that's my take on it...

So, what do you think that a roguish channeler(s) should do, that they'd be interesting enough to include in a series that, truth be told, may already have an overflow of secondary/minor characters and equally secondary/minor plots?

Good point. The story is about the Light vs Shadow, so you're going to have Light vs the Shadow characters. There'd be no room/point for anyone sitting on the fence. I guess Alivia is pretty close to a rogue though. And tbh I think that's one of the things I like about the WoT world, the way things are black and white with so many characters. Makes it more intense.

Two words. False Dragons.

Sort of, because that is not just someone who is out to make himself rich (Han was only interested in money/reward through the first movie up til the end). The problem with citing False Dragons is that they were out for Glory and A Place in the Histories, where as the people that Oscuro is talking about are not looking for Glory or Notoriety, just money and to be left alone. Someone more like Mat than Logain. A Rogue or Scoundrel channeler. One that uses air to turn the dice and make them come up the numbers he wants, instead of natural mystical ta'veren-ness. Compelling his boss so that the boss thinks that he/she has worked a full day and deserves to get paid for it. Things like that.

I agree that to include it could be interesting, but I don't really miss it when reading (or re-reading) the series, probably because we have Mat who is clearly the Reluctant Hero archetype that Han falls into.

As far as why we haven't seen it...I would look to the outriggers, not the main series for it. It's possible that we will find out that Alanna or Androl had Han-type history (after all Androl knows what a Ratashan Dazer is, which makes one think he is well traveled). It seems that the complaint is that we don't get to see the story of how a channeling character goes from being Han (Episode 4) to Han (episode 6), where as I think that any one of the channelers that we do not have a complete back story for could be the person you are describing. It's just that we only see them after the [Episode 6] change in belief and personality has taken place. Just my thoughts, as I especially like how Androl is depicted in ToM and could easily see him as Han+10 years.

But putting aside his choice to become a False Dragon, I believe that Taim's backstory fits better with the uses of the OP that you listed. After all, Taim appears to be 35, we know 'slowing' occurs soon after one starts channeling. We know men start channeling later than women. Assuming Taim started really late, that would make him 20-22 when he started. if he slowed (as all channelers do) then he is much older than the 35 that Rand says he looks, possibly much older.

That leaves us with the predicament of what has he been doing with the OP for the past 20 or more years? We know that he became a False Dragon, but that was less than 2-3 years ago. Still a huge gap between when he started, and declaring himself. He is a Shadow (Dark Side) character now, but we have no idea of when he chose to go to the Shadow (it has even been said that the AS that captured him were BA and 13x13'ed him). If he chose to go to the Shadow a few years after he started channeling, that still leaves a few years of the question, "What was he using the Power for before that?"

So I guess my answer is ... you might see that in one of the outriggers or prequels, but there really isn't room in the series to add another character like that. Unless you want the series to go on for another 3-4 books.

Good point. The story is about the Light vs Shadow, so you're going to have Light vs the Shadow characters. There'd be no room/point for anyone sitting on the fence. I guess Alivia is pretty close to a rogue though. And tbh I think that's one of the things I like about the WoT world, the way things are black and white with so many characters. Makes it more intense.

Thanks. I do believe that a roguish channeler with a devil-may-care attitude would be an interesting character to read and he/she would add even more depth to Jordan's world.

As for the eternal Light vs. Dark, Good vs. Evil conflict, WoT is no different to 90% of fantasy/fiction stories, like LotR, Potter, Star Wars, etc. Only story that is more grayish, IMO, that I can think of right now is A Song of Ice and Fire, which I like better than WoT because of its adult, gritty realism, precisely. But I do admit that I like the typical black and white "Hero's Quest" quite a lot and, in that sense, I believe WoT is one of the best attempts in recent memory.

I agree that to include it could be interesting, but I don't really miss it when reading (or re-reading) the series, probably because we have Mat who is clearly the Reluctant Hero archetype that Han falls into.

lol! My thoughts exactly. Neither character is a channeler and neither character seems to care much about anyone or anything but themselves, having a good time, etc. But, I wonder, who's Mat's Chewie? Talmanes? Thom? Or even Olver? lol!

Oh and I also agree that my take on this is not about False Dragons nor is it about sparkers who burnt themselves when trying to harness the Power. I believe that El Oscuro's talking about channelers who were able to survive, learned to harness the power and didn't declare themselves the Dragon Reborn or joined the Tower, but just went about their business. Again, while I'd like to see this sort of character (and would find him/her far more interesting than, say, a Gawyn or his mother, for instance) I fail to see how they'd fit into the story.

I think this is a pretty simple answer in and of itself.

If you're not working towards the common good, then what are you, in essence, serving?

Evil is selfish. It is lazy. It is self-serving. It is power hungry. It is only out to take care of itself. It is apathy.

A male or female channeler who does not serve the Light? Even if they are not an active DF or Dreadlord, they serve what the Shadow stands for. They don't have to throw fireballs at the soldiers fighting a Trolloc or a Mydraal. But they can turn a blind eye and only look out for themselves. They don't have to put a dagger through the heart of someone dying on the side of the road. But they could leave them there to die instead of helping to heal them.

Get what I'm saying?

Those characters only concerned with their own well being, power, or glory, end up serving the Shadow without proclaiming their souls to the DO himself. I think this is essentially the reason why we don't see many "rogue" or gray characters. The world is a lot different. Evil comes in a tangible form in this world. I think unless it's like Fain, who serves something unseen that is an evil outside of the DO, anyone who doesn't serve the light, even if they're not active DFs, still, in essence, serves the Shadow.

I always looked at Mordeth as kind of a middle of the road type guy. Technically he is not a channeler, but he is neither good nor evil. He is just a man who was willing to do whatever it took to defeat the shadow...even if it meant fighting evil with evil.

Okay, then he or she would have to take the Han road and eventualy pick a side. It could go as follows:

Nyneave is travelling the borderlands spreading news of the golden crane, trying to recruit soldiers to Lan's cause, unbeknownst to Lan. While doing so, she comes across a female channeller in a tavern. A full chapter ensues where Nyneave chases after her and finally catches her. This charecter explains her past: she was a former accepted who failed the test to become Aes'Sedai, but rather than being sent out, retested, or stilled, she managed to escape and flee to the borderlands where she has spent the past hundred years honing her skills and using them for personal gain. Nyneave tries to recruit her, but she resists, claiming no allegiance and a bad taste for Aes'Sedai (understandably). Suddenly a trolloc raid ensues, and this rogue channeler is forced to defend herself, and forced to work with Nyneave in the process. Doing so lights a tiny little flame under her a$$ and gets her thinking about joining up, though she lets on no hint about it. Nyneave, seeing how useful this rogue channeler could be, tries again to convince her to join, this time using potential rewards, power, prestige, and warder man-meat as leverage. Rogue channeler accepts reluctantly, at least on the outside, pretending that the personal gain points were what sold her, while on the inside she is more or less acting on that spark of excitement that lit a flame under her a$$.

Nyn and Rogue travel together, and their relationship develops. They become lesbian lovers and together take down the Seanchan. :flamingsword:

Sorry for that last bit.

Okay, then he or she would have to take the Han road and eventualy pick a side...

Sorry for that last bit.

lol! That's perfectly fine w/me, but i just hope no Lan defenders take offense! ;-)

Okay, so in the end, they would have to choose a side, anyways. That was an interesting story, btw. I could dig reading something like that. Or...

...how about a rogue channeler, so powerful, that the Shadow tries to recruit. But he/she doesn't want anything to do with one side or the other. He/she just wants to be left alone and do their thing, but is important to Dark Prophecy, so they can't fry the guy/gal, but actually have to find a way to recruit them. That could lead to an interesting storyline, were you could see the Shadow planning say, the dead of someone close to this character, making it look like it was someone related to Tar Valon (a Warder, the city guard, etc.) to have this person turn; something along those lines. Or...

...how about, instead of Han, we use super-badass Boba Fett as a rogue channeler? Someone with no particular affiliation, who would sell his/her services to the highest bidder...now, that would be interesting, me thinks. Who'd be willing to pay? The Light, forced by dire need, for instance? Or, the Shadow, because this channeler would be damn good at what he/she does?

Point is that IMO, there's tons of interesting scenarios that could've been explored in this sense. And I would've certainly preferred to read something like this than, say, Bryne and Siuan's love story, for instance. But that's just me, not much of a romance reader...even your Nyn/rogue scenario :-P

Okay, then he or she would have to take the Han road and eventualy pick a side...

Sorry for that last bit.

lol! That's perfectly fine w/me, but i just hope no Lan defenders take offense! ;-)

Okay, so in the end, they would have to choose a side, anyways. That was an interesting story, btw. I could dig reading something like that. Or...

...how about a rogue channeler, so powerful, that the Shadow tries to recruit. But he/she doesn't want anything to do with one side or the other. He/she just wants to be left alone and do their thing, but is important to Dark Prophecy, so they can't fry the guy/gal, but actually have to find a way to recruit them. That could lead to an interesting storyline, were you could see the Shadow planning say, the dead of someone close to this character, making it look like it was someone related to Tar Valon (a Warder, the city guard, etc.) to have this person turn; something along those lines. Or...

...how about, instead of Han, we use super-badass Boba Fett as a rogue channeler? Someone with no particular affiliation, who would sell his/her services to the highest bidder...now, that would be interesting, me thinks. Who'd be willing to pay? The Light, forced by dire need, for instance? Or, the Shadow, because this channeler would be damn good at what he/she does?

Point is that IMO, there's tons of interesting scenarios that could've been explored in this sense. And I would've certainly preferred to read something like this than, say, Bryne and Siuan's love story, for instance. But that's just me, not much of a romance reader...even your Nyn/rogue scenario :-P

Okay.

In his search for men who can channel -- men who had the potential to become Asha'man -- Mazrim Taim opened a gateway that forever changed his life. Either by some unexplainable accident, or by some ironic twisting of the pattern, he found himself stepping through the hole in the air, ignoring it as it snapped shut with a final brief flash of silver lining behind him, into a dark tavern in a land he had never been to before, or at least had no memory of. The air was dimly lit by a few dying lanterns that hung on rusted brass hooks that were pinned to the wall in a way that somehow made them seem to have been forced, splitting the wood at the point of penetration, like knives thrown at a bored. Only the shape of them was not balanced, and they could not have been thrown. Somehow he knew that they had been lifted and thrust into the walls by the one power. In reaction to that thought, Taim embraced the source. With that embrace came the usual heightening of senses, and with his heightened senses Taim took a closer notice of his surroundings and realized he was not in a tavern at all. Rather, it was some sort of private hideout.

Abruptly his thoughts were shattered like glass as something hit him hard from behind, sending him rolling across the ground. As if the roll had been intentional, Taim followed through and rolled back onto his feet, then spun to face whoever it was that was behind him, whoever it was that had used the Power to toss that now splintered chair at his back. Without thought, for it had become a natural reaction to him, simultaneously with his turn to face whoever was behind him, Taim channeled a weave of air so vast and powerful that it froze everything in the room, holding it all in an unbreakable grip. The channeling was slightly different than what he had taught his Asha’man to do – they were his Asha’man – for it was done not with the One Power, not Saidin, but the True power instead.

Rogue hung on nothing, pinned to the wall by some invisible force. Had it been Saidin, he would have seen the weaves that held him. Instead, all he saw was a strange darkness that seemed to surround the man in the black coat that had those strange blue and gold serpents wrapped around the sleeves. He had sensed the ability to channel in the other man the moment that silver line had formed in the air and opened into that hole that put a gash in the dirty wooden planks of his floor. He had gone too many years unfound and would not risk being found now. At least, he would not have risked it, which is why he had thrown the chair, with the one power of course, in an attempt to render the other man unconscious. How that had turned so quickly into the other man holding him pinned against the wall with some invisible grip, one that clearly did not have its roots in Siadin, Rogue had not been quick enough of mind to notice. It had happened too fast.

“I would not do that if I were you,” Taim said in a too calm voice that should have been too quite to hear, thought the True power made it boom in a sickening too-loud whisper that beat against the rogue channeller’s ear drums like a blacksmith’s hammer on a thin canvas drum head. “Struggle to embrace the source, I mean. It will only get you hurt, for I will not allow it, and I only have so much patience for shielding you. Killing you would be much quicker.”

“What do you want?” Rogue asked in a panicked voice.

Taim paused before responding. Paused just long enough to allow the sides of his mouth to twitch into a half grin that never touched his eyes, though that was closer to a smile than he had allowed in a long time. The other man, this rogue channeller Taim held pinned against the wall with the True power, was quite strong. Taim could sense it. The man’s ability to channel, though untrained and dangerous to himself as much as to anyone else, was vast and grand. Not quite so much as Taim’s, or as the bloody Dragon Reborn’s, but it was great nonetheless. Taim had traveled here by accident -- that was something he would have to figure out at some point, how this accident had happened – but was now beginning to suspect some other power at work. Whatever it was, it had led him to this man, this rogue channeller, whose potential was so obviously great. “What do I want? It is quite simple, really. I want you.”

...to be continued.

I think this is a pretty simple answer in and of itself.

If you're not working towards the common good, then what are you, in essence, serving?

Evil is selfish. It is lazy. It is self-serving. It is power hungry. It is only out to take care of itself. It is apathy.

A male or female channeler who does not serve the Light? Even if they are not an active DF or Dreadlord, they serve what the Shadow stands for. They don't have to throw fireballs at the soldiers fighting a Trolloc or a Mydraal. But they can turn a blind eye and only look out for themselves. They don't have to put a dagger through the heart of someone dying on the side of the road. But they could leave them there to die instead of helping to heal them.

Get what I'm saying?

Those characters only concerned with their own well being, power, or glory, end up serving the Shadow without proclaiming their souls to the DO himself. I think this is essentially the reason why we don't see many "rogue" or gray characters. The world is a lot different. Evil comes in a tangible form in this world. I think unless it's like Fain, who serves something unseen that is an evil outside of the DO, anyone who doesn't serve the light, even if they're not active DFs, still, in essence, serves the Shadow.

Doesn't work for me. At all. Just too much of a narrow, black & white view, IMO, and things are always much grayer than this. Sorry, but this sounds to me like characters wouldn't have any freewill or freedom of choice, but for 2 options: serve the Light or serve the Shadow. Servitude either way and servitude is not freedom, but a kind of bondage.

I always looked at Mordeth as kind of a middle of the road type guy. Technically he is not a channeler, but he is neither good nor evil. He is just a man who was willing to do whatever it took to defeat the shadow...even if it meant fighting evil with evil.

Yeah, Mordeth does strike me as the roguish type, too. Agreed. Though, like Mat, he was no channeler. And that reminds me of Fain, too...that's another non-channeler who is a total rogue, serving none but his own self...or selves, now that Mordeth has possessed him, I guess I should say. So, thanks for the reminder.

Okay.

In his search for men who can channel -- men who had the potential to become Asha'man -- Mazrim Taim opened a gateway that forever changed his life...

...to be continued.

Hey, this sounds pretty good, man! Have you considered writing some short story like this and, IDK, publishing it on a fanfic site? I think it's got good potential for that.

-snip- Have you considered writing some short story like this and, IDK, publishing it on a fanfic site? I think it's got good potential for that.

Thanks. I actualy am approx 900 pages into a 4 book series I'm writing. Never thought about short stories or anything. Just wrote that for fun.

-snip- Have you considered writing some short story like this and, IDK, publishing it on a fanfic site? I think it's got good potential for that.

Thanks. I actualy am approx 900 pages into a 4 book series I'm writing. Never thought about short stories or anything. Just wrote that for fun.

Even better! I'm also writing myself; a 3 or 4 part series, as well, though I'm still smoothing out the first vol. and just starting with no. 2. All in all, I have about 250 thousand words in at this point, which should be something like 5-600 pages.

Are you writing that just for fun, or are you going to publish it?

Even better! I'm also writing myself; a 3 or 4 part series, as well, though I'm still smoothing out the first vol. and just starting with no. 2. All in all, I have about 250 thousand words in at this point, which should be something like 5-600 pages.

Are you writing that just for fun, or are you going to publish it?

A little of both.

I'm writing it for fun, and because I have basicaly had this story (in one form or another, constantly changing) rattling around in my head for as long as I can remember, and I finally decided that it was time to write it down. But I do intend on at least trying to have it published. The odds are not quite as bad as the odds of winning the lottery, but that's not really saying much... :biggrin: But on the other hand... you never know.

What about you?

A little of both.

I'm writing it for fun, and because I have basicaly had this story (in one form or another, constantly changing) rattling around in my head for as long as I can remember, and I finally decided that it was time to write it down. But I do intend on at least trying to have it published. The odds are not quite as bad as the odds of winning the lottery, but that's not really saying much... :biggrin: But on the other hand... you never know.

What about you?

Well, I've always done lots of writing proffesionaly (translation, mostly, Spanish is my native tongue, and some work for website content, ad agencies and such) but nothing like a full novel or anything like that, till recently. I wrote something in my spare time. My ex-gf read it, loved it and said that I should try to get it published. But, it's like you said, the odds aren't all that good heh heh...but, yeah, you never know.

IDK about you, but I've been looking for people to help me, you know as sound boards or beta readers. IDK if you'd be interested in an exchange, but perhaps we could help each other out in this sense?

A little of both.

What about you?

Well, I've always done lots of writing proffesionaly (translation, mostly, Spanish is my native tongue, and some work for website content, ad agencies and such) but nothing like a full novel or anything like that, till recently. I wrote something in my spare time. My ex-gf read it, loved it and said that I should try to get it published. But, it's like you said, the odds aren't all that good heh heh...but, yeah, you never know.

IDK about you, but I've been looking for people to help me, you know as sound boards or beta readers. IDK if you'd be interested in an exchange, but perhaps we could help each other out in this sense?

I probably would be interested in an exchange beta read, but not yet.

I'm roughly 900 pages through, and with 1" margins, 12pt Book Antique font, double spaced (typical manuscript format), that's about 300 words per page, so I'm roughly 270,000 words into my story, 80% done with the second book. My first book was only about 135,000 words, and I'm roughly that far at least into the sequel, which will end up being longer. Then I have a third and fourth installment (at least) planned out in a very abbriated outline form. One thing I'm noticing: as my story progresses I am finding myself going back to the beginning to rewrite parts and change things, as I am sure you can probably relate. So, I'd like to wait until I'm closer to being done with the whole thing before I have anyone read it.

I probably would be interested in an exchange beta read, but not yet.

I'm roughly 900 pages through, and with 1" margins, 12pt Book Antique font, double spaced (typical manuscript format), that's about 300 words per page, so I'm roughly 270,000 words into my story, 80% done with the second book. My first book was only about 135,000 words, and I'm roughly that far at least into the sequel, which will end up being longer. Then I have a third and fourth installment (at least) planned out in a very abbriated outline form. One thing I'm noticing: as my story progresses I am finding myself going back to the beginning to rewrite parts and change things, as I am sure you can probably relate. So, I'd like to wait until I'm closer to being done with the whole thing before I have anyone read it.

Hmm...this is eerie hahhah! We're definitely on the same boat. I'm working on OpenOffice writer and then, I'm gonna convert to pdf, like in rough ebook format. Book 1 is 256 letter sized pages, 157,460 words in Constantia font, size 12, 2" margins. I'm about 40-50% into part 2 to but going back to part 1 to smooth things out, too. So, don't worry, I do relate 100%. All in all, I'd say that part 1 would be ready for proof-reading, so just lemme know when you're ready to go so you can show me yours and I can show you mine. No strings attached, of course.

you can show me yours and I can show you mine. No strings attached, of course.

Hey man, I don't swing that way... oh... you meant the books.

Right on! :flamingsword:

LOL yeah! The books, I meant...I don't swing that way either (with these usernames, wouldn't think either of us would!). Should've chosen my words better...my bad!

Archived