DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Memory of Light

PCL

So, is there a release date set yet?

It's so hard to believe that after all these years of reading and waiting that the story is about to come to an end. Sad times ahead.

Is there any speculation if Sanderson might continue to write in the Wheel Of Time World? Maybe some spin-off stories or future/past ages?

Brandon had said he estimates March of 2012. It will take so long because he will reread the entire series before he starts writing.

I'm sorry, I had to chuckle a little at this :laugh:

As difficult as it is to wait at all, getting 3 books in the space of 28 months is like rapid fire. :myrddraal:

I'm sorry, I had to chuckle a little at this :laugh:

As difficult as it is to wait at all, getting 3 books in the space of 28 months is like rapid fire. :myrddraal:

Haha yeah, that didn't exactly come across as I intended it to. March of 2012 means it's a great birthday gift for me... I'm okay with that wait. Gives me time for a careful reread!

Can't remember where I read it, maybe one of the ToM Tower Guard Reports, but I think BS said that although he doesn't plan to write any of the outrigger novels he now has come to feel he has a greater right to write them than any other author at the moment. So if there are any planned to be released by Team Jordan BS will likely be the author, once again on RJ's notes. However he said he doesn't want to go further than that, into territory where there are no specific notes as that is crossing the border between honouring RJ's work and exploiting it.

If only there was some sort of Frequently Asked Questions about the Wheel of Time series... Oh wait.

http://wotfaq.dragonmount.com/node/173

And!

http://wotfaq.dragonmount.com/node/175

AND!

http://wotfaq.dragonmount.com/node/174

Nice and subtle Jennifer. Thanks :P

Warning to Original Poster though, the person maintaing the FAQ is allegedly dwunk, so they could be untrustworthy....honest....ish....

I doubt it can be as comprehensive, because at some point it becomes impossible to bind the silly thing. But from what I understand, it will have background information not contained in the books and will be illustrated.

Originally, there were plans to include a dictionary for the Old tongue, covering about 1000 words.

Yes, but would there be a GRAMMAR? I've never managed to reason out much of how the words go together, except that the language seems to be only lightly inflected.

From what Alan has said, grammar in in OT is extremely fluid and word order doesn't matter that much. He says it close to Latin in that respect. And I think there are still plans to include the complete Old Tongue dictionary.

Here's the video of them talking about it at JordanCon back in April. http://www.youtube.com/user/portalstones#p/a/9CA31B914EE0E929/0/0Ht4KTmh-as

Originally, there were plans to include a dictionary for the Old tongue, covering about 1000 words.

Yes, but would there be a GRAMMAR? I've never managed to reason out much of how the words go together, except that the language seems to be only lightly inflected.

From what Alan has said, grammar in in OT is extremely fluid and word order doesn't matter that much. He says it close to Latin in that respect. And I think there are still plans to include the complete Old Tongue dictionary.

Here's the video of them talking about it at JordanCon back in April. http://www.youtube.com/user/portalstones#p/a/9CA31B914EE0E929/0/0Ht4KTmh-as

I guessed the thing about word order, but I wonder how close it can be to Latin since it doesn't have a completely developed case system. For example, Mat's lines in ToM (won't quote here to avoid spoilers) include a preposition for "for", so there can't be a dative case. There does seem to be a genitive as there's no word for "of".

There can be a dative case, just one that requires the prep for to be paired with the word (like in the accusative you need a prep to say "to" in Latin), which means "to" might be the regular translation.

But, while I can't quote the sentence on this board, there is no spelling change on the words after "for". I haven't really seen much evidence of spelling changes in the OT.

Odds that there is a consistent grammar seem very slight to me. The dude's not Tolkein; inventing a full-fledged language is a whole lot of work and there aren't that many people who are interested.

Further, the odd "fluidness" of translations from Old Tongue to English makes me suspect Jordan never really thought deeply enough about the issue to have created a grammar.

Odds that there is a consistent grammar seem very slight to me. The dude's not Tolkein; inventing a full-fledged language is a whole lot of work and there aren't that many people who are interested.

Further, the odd "fluidness" of translations from Old Tongue to English makes me suspect Jordan never really thought deeply enough about the issue to have created a grammar.

That's my suspicion, but I don't want to come down firmly on the issue with so little evidence to go on.

Archived