DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Walking Dead

Emperor

If you were one of the few to miss this show... watch it. AMC may be my favorite non premium channel atm.

AMC’s “The Walking Dead” and HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire” are easily autumn’s two best new series. I can’t quite decide which is better; both series have about six episodes left in their first seasons, so we’ll just have to see how things play out.

A riveting new sci-fi action adventure series from writer-director-producer Frank Darabont (of “Shawshank Redemption,” “Green Mile” and “The Mist” fame), “Dead” features zombies that move fast. Not as fast as the zombies in Zack Snyder’s outstanding remake of “Dawn of the Dead,” but they definitely keep the humans on the run.

And run the humans do! The series is set soon after a zombie apocalypse has decimated civilization. The national guard and their helicopters and well-trained snipers somehow met their match in the sheer number of shambling corpses. (Where did they all come from? Did “Kill Bill’s” heroine overstate the difficulty of rising up through six feet of dirt?)

Based on the acclaimed graphic novels by Robert Kirkman, the series plays by “Night of the Living Dead” rules. The “Walking Dead” zombies are hungry for more than brains. Any flesh they can get their hands on will do. If they bite you, you turn zombie too. They’re attracted to loud noises, so sneak attacks with crossbows and machetes are often a better idea than guns. These zombies can only be killed by destroying their brains.

The series starts strong, and keeps getting better. Things get gory and scary, more than one expects from a basic cable series, even if it does air after 10 p.m. I was plenty hooked by the third episode, which shifts the focus to the social dynamic shared by a tiny community of survivors who have found a tenuous refuge in the woods outside Atlanta. Not to give too much away, but things get very agreeably complex.

The project eventually evolves into an ensemble piece, but its central character is Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln), a Kentucky lawman whose story could initially remind viewers of “Day of the Triffids” and “28 Days Later.”

Late in the pilot we come across a survivor played by Jeff DeMunn, a veteran of Darabont’s “Shawshank,” “Green Mile” and “Mist.” In episode two we meet a survivor played by Laurie Holden, the blonde female lead from “The Mist.” And the elements episode two shares with “The Mist” do not begin or end with Holden gazing with horror at a cracking glass storefront.

This was freaking amazing! I never read the graphic novels but if it is anything like this I just might! Too bad AMC in Canada is still lo-def so I'll have to wait a day and download better versions, but I back Empy here, awesome show!

Good news!

AMC has officially announced a thirteen-episode, second season renewal of their recently launched post-zombie apocalypse series "The Walking Dead".

Debuting on Halloween, the Frank Darabont-produced series has broken ratings records and pulled in more adults in the key 18-49 demographic than any other show in the history of cable television.

The series premiere scored 5.3 million total viewers with 3.6 million viewers in the key demo. The second episode saw only a small drop with 4.7 million viewers and 3.3 million viewers in the key demo. Critical reviews have raved about the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for second season. I love zombie stuff, this is one of the great ones, along with Dead Set Serious... And movies like Dead Snow, Zombieland and Romero's movies xD

I haven't read the Comics that the series is based on, and won't read it either, just so I don't get disappointed because the TV show would go in direction that the comic doesn't.

Maybe I'll read the comic once this series ends xD

• 1 month later...

Speaking at the Visual Effects Society Awards, “The Walking Dead” producer Gale Anne Hurd talked with Screen Junkies about what's in store in the second season of the AMC zombie drama.

The longer thirteen episode season will allow for more character development - "We had six episodes to set up the world and to introduce the characters and now I think we can go even more deeply into each of our ensemble cast members. We’ve had stories that concentrate on one character or another and I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of that this season."

Asked which characters we can expect to get more exploration, Hurd says "I think there’s still a lot more that we can learn from Daryl, the Norman Reedus character. I think that episodes focusing on Lori played by Sarah Wayne Callies, we’ve got a great triangle between Rick, Laurie and Shane. I have a sneaking suspicion that might be something we’re going to explore even more deeply in the new season."

Don't expect much in the way of new zombies as such - "I think we pretty much set up the world of zombies. They’re not insane bolt sprinters.

• 4 weeks later...

Robert Kirkman, creator of the comic that inspired AMC's "The Walking Dead", talked recently with Entertainment Weekly about the upcoming second season.

Kirkman says "We're mapping out everything. We got a lot of cool ideas. Everyone here is mindful of how well received the first season was. We're breaking our backs, story wise, to make sure the next season is twice is good, or three times as good, with a lot of twists and turns and pushing the envelop of what you can do on TV."

Character-wise one can expect to see more of the Rick and Shane dynamic explored - "That's definitely the core dynamic that's going on, but there's a lot of other interesting stuff in the mix. We're going to seeing a lot of Andrea and a lot more of Laurie."

Talking about the change of locale, Kirkman says "I don't know if I can go into that, but I know [showrunner Frank Darabont] has said we're going to see Hershel's farm. We're looking to take some picturesque rural landscapes and play with that and come up with some cool zombie visuals. We'll see some of the locations of the first season, but we're going to mainly focus on breaking new ground. Oh, and we're going to feature a lava planet."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
AMC has officially renewed zombie drama “The Walking Dead” for a third season which will commence next October. Last week's second season premiere drew good reviews and a stellar 7.3 million total viewers.

The second episode saw only a minimal drop to 6.7 million viewers. The 13-episode second season will continue through until the end of November before taking a break and coming back mid-February with the remaining six episodes.

Anyone been watching this?

Archived