DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is the Hand the same one?

Nevare

I don't think the other Dorsaken know much about healing. And I rather suspect that between Nynaeve's innovations, and Sumeko's, healing now has caught up with AoL healing. All that Semirhage has now is experience... and even in that Sumeko may outdistance her. Sumeko is older then Semirhage in terms of conscious memory and experience.

The question is do you agree she can not be trusted due to the weaves she knows and others dont? Sumeko is good but Semi was well sought after in the AOL so I dont think anyone in current randland holds a candle to her. That and knowing what a body can take(that she discovered in torture) adds a lot to her ability. Just think of what the Angel of Death did for modern medicine? (I am not condoning his methods but he did learn a lot)

• 3 weeks later...

I am almost positive the hand is not the same one because I am relistening to the series and just passed that part of Eye of the world and I am pretty sure Min saw a severed hand with blood on it and his hand was burned off. So I think it's different, I could be misinterpreting the vision but I don't so.

^ This is the only reason I can't come to terms with the two visions of hand's being related to Rand's current situation. There was no severing. There is no blood. It's just burned away, gone. On the other hand, two viewings involving hand-events that aren't related to Rand would be a little odd.

Mins viewing of a hand in connection to Rand al'Thor is in The Eye of the World, is in chapter 15, Strangers and Friends. From the conversation between Rand and Min in Baerlon (Rand's POV, Rand speaks first)

"What about me?"

Her grin stopped just short of outright laughter. "The same kind of things as the rest. A sword that isn't a sword, a golden crown of laurel leaves, a beggar's staff, you pouring water on sand, a bloody hand and a white hot iron, three women standing over a funeral bier with you on it, black rock wet with blood -"

Coming as it does in the middle of a series of viewings specifically about him, the bloody hand and white-hot iron surely applies to Rand. Since they are a part of the same viewing (no comma separating the two), they seem to be symbolizing a single event. What happened to Rand's hand is accurate symbolized by the combination of a bloody hand and a white hot iron. There was blood when his hand was blown off, it was simply cauterized immediately by the heat of the fireball. Bloody hand + white hot iron = Rand's left arm right now.

Unless Rand is going to lose his other hand as well, it seems unlikely that this viewing refers to anything else.

Min's other "hand" viewing is only referred to obliquely by Elayne in The Great Hunt, chapter 24 New Friends and Old Enemies. Egwene's POV, Elayne speaking, talking about Min:

"She saw a great deal," Elayne said dryly. "One of the things she saw looking at me was a severed hand. Not mine, she says. She claims she does not know what it means, either."

Because of how vague that is, it could mean almost anything. It could refer to Rand's hand, or it could refer to a "severed" portion of the Band of the Red Hand. There is simply not enough information to know. If, in A Memory of Light, the "severed" portion of the Band under Estean reaches Andor (per the orders Talmanes gave them) and does something to help Elayne, then that is most likely what the viewing refers to.

If MoL wasn't the last book, I can see Nynaeve creating a hand from the power (lots of Earth in the weave...) as a call back to the Celtic myth of Silver Hand. Maybe Rand's own ability would animate it (with the Power). It wouldn't be any different with us using our hands. The brain tells the muscles to contract and release to make our fingers move. Doing that with the Power would be second nature with time.

However, with one book to go, I'm more than happy to have Rand go into the Last Battle one-handed. There're too many other plot threads I'd rather see resolved.

As to whether his hand will be healed, reconstructed, swapped, etc - I have a question.

Does anyone remember what the Fisher King looks like when Moridin is examining it in the prologue of book 8? I remember that he was wounded in the side, and had a bandage over his eyes, but did it say anything about a hand? I am at work right now and don't have access to the books....

Archived