DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is the Hand the same one?

Nevare

here's a question I hope 'A Memory of Light' will answer:

In The Great hunt Min talks about seeing a severed hand in an aura above Elayne and she tells Elayne it isn't hers. Earlier in tEotW Min sees a severed hand having to do with Rand. And of course in KoD Rand gets his hand sliced off.

So my question is this- are they all the same hand?

• 3 weeks later...
Well' date=' there's going to be a few battles so there's bound to be severed limbs aplenty![/quote']

Quite true, but so far RJ hasn't shown a willingness to beat up or kill anyone off (minus Rand). Hell, Moriane (or however you spell it) was the only person killed off from so far. And she aint dead!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm new to this board so bare with me here. :P

I've read this series many many times over the past few years since I first discovered it. After reading the scene in KoD the first thing I thought of was all of Min's visions of a severed hand surrounding several people.

Then I was rereader Shadow Rising and I noticed this.

In The Shadow Rising CH 5 P118:

"Stilling is not a thing anyone would choose to study, you understand," Nynaeve continued. "It is generally accepted to be irreversible. What makes a woman able to channel cannot be replaced once it is removed, ANY MORE THAN A HAND THAT HAS BEEN CUT OFF CAN BE HEALED BACK INTO EXISTENCE."

Did they not find a way to heal stilling? Seems kind of funny that those two things were mentioned together as being unhealable, and then discovering they could heal one..why not the other?

Thoughs?

Well .... Nynaeve didn't ever think that she couldn't Heal stilling ... she was always sure she could if she just tried. On the other hand (yes, pun intended, shoot me later), when she saw Rand's injury her reaction was just "Oh, I'm so sorry, there's nothing I can do". So, judging by Nynaeve's reaction (and she knows much more about it than any of us), Rand isn't getting his hand back.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes that is true, however, its healable, not remakeable. Rands hand would need to be reconstituted. That may still happen but we have been given no indecations that it is even possible like when Nynaeve was trying to heal Logain she knew she was close and suddenly got it. In KOD she seems to accept the loss of him hand. It is unlikely that if Rands hand returned it would be Nynaeve to do it. That kinda my take.

I agree with SR, there is a difference between making skin bind back together, and remaking an entire hand. RJ is a physicist, remember, and the core rule of physics is that nothing comes from nothing. Creation of a hand would be creating new matter, which is impossible.

Speaking of battles I've been rather underwhelmed by the battles featured in the WoT series.

Nowhere near as detailed as I would like especially Matt Vs. Couladin as it was told in retrospect rather than as it happened.

Individual battles are not the point of this story. This is not a wuxia novel.

OK;

(1) "Nynaeve al'Meara" does not believe that the hand can be regrown or healed, so she can not do it, confidence in what you are trying to do with the power is primary to doing it, the use of the power is an entirely mental thing... But someone else may be able to do it or "Nynaeve" may find some reason to change her oppinion...

(2) "Semirhage" aka: Nemene Damendar Boann; could be called on to heal the hand, or she could be made to perform the Healing on other people who have had amputations... Semirhage is not a goddess she is merely a woman that can channel and also has a lot of experience doing so, and she is not that powerful that several women in a circle could not easily handle her or several circles of several women, and if what she is doing is carefully watched then the women watching would know how to do it especialy "Nynaeve"...

(3) The severed Hand seen by "Min" in her viewings could represent a person or group of people that are providing some important service... Such a person or group could be destroyed or removed from service or even brought into service...

(4) and yes a severed hand is a very different from a Burnt hand which might be shown as a hand on fire or burning away...

(5) Also, and finaly, the Hand is contained in the Genetic Code of all human DNA so how to reconstruct it is not the question, and since the HEALING always uses materials from the body it is healing, the real question is how to get enough of those materials into the body to facilitate the healing or regrowing of the hand,,, everytime someone is healed they get hungry and thirsty needing to replace what was used up...

Well your well wrong on Semi in my opinion. The weave that can heal can kill just as quickly. She knows WAY MORE than anyone about healing(aside from forsaken in my opinion) She is a forsaken and well to be honest one f**ked up lady. She is so calm durning her capture that I almost think it wont last. Also Rand cannot focus on the hand anymore, that I agree with there are too many things to do too many people to kill. He will have to live with it for now.(I say that for you bodyswappers) I honestly have no thoughts on the visions. They were more vague to me than any other. Not enough info for me to make a decision. Well thought out though.

Archived