DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Drummer for the Band's Band - It's A Knockout (Winner: Neil Peart)

Corki

I wasn't around much at all over the weekend, but I am going to tie up the second round now so we can move onto the semi-finals.

In the first tie, Buddy Rich wins 3-1 over John Bonham.

The second tie ended up all square, but with the Marshal-General casting the deciding vote, Phil Collins triumphs over Mike Portnoy by 4 votes to 2.

And in ties 3 and 4, both Al Jackson and Neil Peart scored 4-0 victories over Lars Ulrich and Carl Palmer respectively.

Time to get the semi-final ties up.

Semi-Final, Tie 1

Phil Collins (of Genesis)

Collins is a multi-talented musician, and is best known as the drummer and vocalist of progressive rock group, Genesis. He has also had a successful career as a soloist. He has won 7 Grammy Awards, an Oscar, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and one of three artists to have sold 100m albums worldwide as a solo artist and a member of a group.

Links:

and

vs.

Al Jackson (of the MGs)

Jackson was best known as a founding member of Booker T. & the M.G.s, who were a group of session musicians. Jackson was called "The Human Timekeeper" for his drumming ability. Jackson became one of the most important and influential drummers in the history of recorded music at Stax, providing an instantly recognizable backbeat behind the label's artists.

Links: Green Onions and

Voting ends Wednesday 4th August 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Semi-Final, Tie 2

Neil Peart (of Rush)

The firm favourite to win this contest. You just need to see YYZ, and you will see why. Peart is the drummer and lyricist for Canadian rockers, Rush. Over the years, Peart has incorporated various elements into his drum playing, including jazz and swing. He is often recognized internationally as the best drummer ever. Oh, and he has a 360 degree drum kit - mega cool!

Links:

and

vs.

Buddy Rich

Rich was an American jazz drummer, who was known for his irtuosic technique, power, groove, and speed. He often used contrasting techniques to keep long drum solos from getting mundane. Aside from his energetic explosive displays, he would go into quieter passages.

Links: Drum Solo and Buddy vs. Animal

Voting ends Wednesday 4th August 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For some reason, I haven't voted.

Anyway, I am going for Peart and Collins.

Deadline for last vote will be Tuesday 19th October 2010 at about 10:30pm (BST) - or when I get in from hockey practise!

A few days later (which seems to be the norm of late! lol), but here are the results of the semi-finals!

In the first semi-final, Phil Collins triumphs by 4 votes to 2.

In the second semi-final, he will be joined by Neil Peart in the final, who also won by 4 votes to 2.

Time for the final and 3rd/4th play-off!

The Final

Phil Collins (of Genesis)

Collins is a multi-talented musician, and is best known as the drummer and vocalist of progressive rock group, Genesis. He has also had a successful career as a soloist. He has won 7 Grammy Awards, an Oscar, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and one of three artists to have sold 100m albums worldwide as a solo artist and a member of a group.

Links:

and

vs.

Neil Peart (of Rush)

The firm favourite to win this contest. You just need to see YYZ, and you will see why. Peart is the drummer and lyricist for Canadian rockers, Rush. Over the years, Peart has incorporated various elements into his drum playing, including jazz and swing. He is often recognized internationally as the best drummer ever. Oh, and he has a 360 degree drum kit - mega cool!

Links:

and

Voting ends Saturday 23rd October 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

3rd/4th Play-Off

Buddy Rich

Rich was an American jazz drummer, who was known for his irtuosic technique, power, groove, and speed. He often used contrasting techniques to keep long drum solos from getting mundane. Aside from his energetic explosive displays, he would go into quieter passages.

Links: Drum Solo and Buddy vs. Animal

vs.

Al Jackson (of the MGs)

Jackson was best known as a founding member of Booker T. & the M.G.s, who were a group of session musicians. Jackson was called "The Human Timekeeper" for his drumming ability. Jackson became one of the most important and influential drummers in the history of recorded music at Stax, providing an instantly recognizable backbeat behind the label's artists.

Links: Green Onions and

Voting ends Saturday 23rd October 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wow, can't believe this was never finished.

Bump

Probably because I kept forgetting to do so.

But fear no more!

In the Grand Final, the amazing Neil Peart stormed to victory, winning 5-0, and give Rush their second member in the Band's Dream Band.

And it was much closer in our 3rd/4th play-off, where Buddy Rich defended a late charge by Al Jackson, winning by 3 votes to 2.

I know you have been nominating keyboardists, and that contest will be up shortly, and won't drag out for so long - I promise!

Archived