DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Band of the Red Hand in Towers of Midnight

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are too many variables in this, but i think that the BT will be handled by the BT, logain is obviously the new "m'hael" at least as far as rand is concerned, and to balance the rejoining of the white tower, he is going to have to take "the BT in exile" back home and take out Taim, also Rand does have the domination rings.  think if he used them on taim ;) wouldnt that be ironic!  also taims men are very few, only the ones he takes the time to teach personally, we know that DF dont like to gather in more than twos or threes with out their masks, and with the masks i think a gathering of more than about 13 would be difficult, although i suppose 20 would be used if needed but we have some great insight as to the nature of circles of DF's from carridin in ACOS.  I dont think the whole BT is evil, just a few.  and Rand and Logain will come back and fix it all, they might even have a male binding rod, to punish those who oppose him.

Does Mat's hat have a finder on it at all? V. doubtful. 

I know there's been speculation about this but we've not seen any signs. If at all there is such a finder, Cyndane is the only person who could use it since she must have put it there in her earlier incarnation.

She's under orders to bump off Mat and Perrin like all the other Chosen.

She hasn't ever used the finder if it's there and she has no reason not to.

More likely, she sold him Kadere's hat just because she was feeling bitchy.

I remember Kadere cribbing about not being able to find a replacement just before the Carhein docks scene in TFoH.

Can't the band just take a break!! They just killed about 15x their number of Seanchan troops

Nah, maybe 5-6 times their number, and that spread out over multiple engagements and only like a third of the band was involved. They need to take on 15x their number in Shadowspawn at once.

Does Mat's hat have a finder on it at all? V. doubtful. 

I know there's been speculation about this but we've not seen any signs. If at all there is such a finder, Cyndane is the only person who could use it since she must have put it there in her earlier incarnation.

She's under orders to bump off Mat and Perrin like all the other Chosen.

She hasn't ever used the finder if it's there and she has no reason not to.

More likely, she sold him Kadere's hat just because she was feeling bitchy.

I'm inclined to agree, which is why I said 'could have' not 'had' - it was an example of a possible Finder that stuck in my head and I used it as an illustration. A better one would have been Moiraine's coins in tEotW. Anyway.. my point is that I'm wondering if Rand put some kind of weave on those pins that he could use if he had to, possibly a Finder, possibly some sort of summons or control impulse. Who knows what he's got stashed away in LTT's memories!

there are too many variables in this, but i think that the BT will be handled by the BT, logain is obviously the new "m'hael" at least as far as rand is concerned, and to balance the rejoining of the white tower, he is going to have to take "the BT in exile" back home and take out Taim, also Rand does have the domination rings.  think if he used them on taim ;) wouldnt that be ironic!  also taims men are very few, only the ones he takes the time to teach personally, we know that DF dont like to gather in more than twos or threes with out their masks, and with the masks i think a gathering of more than about 13 would be difficult, although i suppose 20 would be used if needed but we have some great insight as to the nature of circles of DF's from carridin in ACOS.  I dont think the whole BT is evil, just a few.  and Rand and Logain will come back and fix it all, they might even have a male binding rod, to punish those who oppose him.

RJ has said that Logain won't be a new M'hael though

Really, link?

If true I really think that strengthens the idea that he takes over after Rand's "death" and gets a lot or even most or all of the credit for Rand's win. :(

• 3 weeks later...

He can be the new Amyrlin, though.  Just to piss off everyone in the White Tower by copying their title.

I doubt that.  Rand doesn't want the AM to be thought of as male AS because then people would look at them as AS wanna-bes.  That is why he called them AM and let the men bring their families to the farms.  Part of the reason he doesn't like "The Black Tower" name is because people will start comparing it to the White Tower.

The Reds who came to the tower had a hard time remembering that Soldier does not equal Novice and Dedicated does not equal Accepted.

In CoT Merise was telling Caddy how Narshima was frustrated about her taking his pins.  She showed her his dragon pin and compared it to earning the shawl.  That is probably one of the sources of his frustration, he doesn't like being thought of as a pretend AS.

Oh, and when Mat first sees a stream wagon he'll want a whole lot.  He'll be thinking "troop transport."

You know what I think would be an excellent title for the head of the Black Tower? "Servant".

Why not have that to be an honorific for all who wear the dragon?

;D

Servant's already been taken. Sedai means Servant in the Old Tongue (erm, at least I think so, I'm extrapolating this from Aes Sedai, Servant of All, and I'm assuming that Aes means "of all;" I could be totally wrong, but it wouldn't make much sense the other way around considering how "Sedai" is currently used)-- When saying "Moiraine Sedai," you're basically saying "Moiraine the Servant," as a shortened form of Moiraine Aes Sedai -- Moiraine the Servant of All (which is kinda funny since in French, Moiraine is real close to "My Queen" so it would be like saying "My queen, the servant of all" ...BTW, ever notice that Lan's Aiel name "Aan'allein" looks suspiciously like "Ein Mann Allein," literally "One Man Alone" in German? That crazy Old Tongue...)

...back to topic...

Those who wear the dragon pin already have an honorific: Asha'man (guardian). Guardian Logain, Guardian Narishima, etc. M'Hael would have been a perfectly good honorific for the leader of the BT if Taim hadn't chosen it for himself as a way to show how big his head's gotten. What about something like "First Guardian" in the way that many of the Ajah heads are styled?

You know what I think would be an excellent title for the head of the Black Tower? "Servant".

;D

Servant's already been taken. Sedai means Servant in the Old Tongue

Yeah, I know. That was the joke I was making. A nose thumb at the Tower.

;D

:D :D :D

;D

:D :D :D

Oops. My bad!

Since the Asha'man are Guardians, they could just name their leader after the old German word for shield and call him "Rand."

Rand means shield in Old German? Didn't know that...of course I only studied the language for three years. That's pretty neat. I wouldn't have put it past RJ to have done that on purpose.

This has gotten a bit off topic. I don't see the Band playing much of a role in fighting the Black Tower. Any rouge Ash'man who come against them will be Dreadlords for the inevitable Trolloc horde and ensuing siege.

The Band's Foot will man the wall while the Horse will harry the flanks and rear via gateways.

This has gotten a bit off topic. I don't see the Band playing much of a role in fighting the Black Tower. Any rouge Ash'man who come against them will be Dreadlords for the inevitable Trolloc horde and ensuing siege.

The Band's Foot will man the wall while the Horse will harry the flanks and rear via gateways.

what role might the Dragons play in this? They're going to be introduced at some point.

I'd like to see a gateway opened near the enemy so they can fire a barrage of Dragons Eggs through it at point-blank range and close it really quickly, then rinse and repeat. Or keep the gateway open after the initial barrage and send through fast crossbowmen to rip through the stunned enemy's flanks and rear. Rand's use of the Gate Assault against the Seanchan wasn't employed nearly to the extent that a devious military mind like Mat could think up.

what role might the Dragons play in this? They're going to be introduced at some point.

I'd like to see a gateway opened near the enemy so they can fire a barrage of Dragons Eggs through it at point-blank range and close it really quickly, then rinse and repeat. Or keep the gateway open after the initial barrage and send through fast crossbowmen to rip through the stunned enemy's flanks and rear. Rand's use of the Gate Assault against the Seanchan wasn't employed nearly to the extent that a devious military mind like Mat could think up.

The Dragons will probably be placed on the wall towers. They'll have the most range there and have a bigger firing arc.

That would be risky, we know from Asmodean that Demandred can stop a gateway from closing. Of course, no one on the side of the light except for Rand knows that.

Archived