DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Forgotten Realms

kutie_pie

• Community Administrator

I'll be more helpfull then the tool above me.

Forgotten Realms is a gigiantic saga of books written by the same or several authors all within the same world. One of the most popular characteres In fantasy *Sword and sorcery* books is the main character in the Dark Elf Trilogy in Forgotten Realms, simply named Drittz Du'Udren.

He became 'so' popular he intruded not only the 'orginal' forgotten realms 'saga' so to speak, he also had 6 more books entirely About Him and his culture.

*there were 3 books about dwarves and halflings, then the drow, then 3 more books where he be-friends the Dwarves, then 3 more where his home world *which is underground* gets turned up side down.. then 3 more where he' goes into the 'solo ranger attitude thing'

They are good books if you like that style of writing.. They are 'action packed' so to speak, but not anywhere near the depth of WoT. Plot wise, there is one, and its not entirely 'action'. The 'Action' is done in such a way its = or better then RJ's 'sword play'..... But the problem is theres now about 40 Books in the Unforgotten Realms Series, all intertwined together within the same 'time period'.

I'd agree with most of what SD said. Drizzt is undouctedly the most popular FR characters but there are also alot of other people of interest.

The world was originally created by a guy named Ed Greenwood, who most people consider to be Elminster of Shadowdale's alter-ego(Elminster is considered by most people to be the most powerful mortal in the realms, he's basically a demi-god at this point). Other than Elminster and Drizzt there are also the cleric Cadderly (main character of the Clerical Quintet), the Seven Sisters, Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunson of Waterdeep, and the Harpers and the Harpell family among many others...

The world is huge and there are a great many good stories written about it.

R.A Salvatore also made some new books, that weren't 'forgotten realms'. Something like Demon Soul?

Apparently Salvatore LOVES rangers. :P

It basically stars

A Ranger

A Warrior/magic user

A Monk *Who is very magically enclined.

There magic is based entirely on 'stones' that all have different proprities. When combined with others makes different kinds of magic...

There are 2 books so far. I believe he's working on a 3rd...

Also, if you know 'dritzz' world they were a bit 'religious'.. *damn spider queen and her evil ways! :P*

IN this book series of his, its more 'christian type of religion', except... not? *The principles are the same, and its almost in the 'inquisition' period.. or just before/after. *where they burn people at the stake and such*. *Its most likely very mideval.*

I can say this though, R.A Salvatore is not afraid of killing off characters you like.. I havent read all the dritz books, but i'm almost positive he's gotta die sometime.. *or at least in one of the books he's the secondary or fourthdadry character..* :P

But I think it would be a very bad mistake for Salvatore unless he were to do it in a very very awesomeness way. *Ie not a 'ooh you killed me!' way, but something with a 'good thing in him dieing' 'self sacraficing thing' it'll be disapointing no mater how you look at it if dritz died, but the 'self sacraficing way' would be one of the 'least' 'disapointing' ways.

Whats the name of that crazy wizard guy that lives in the mountain?

Forgotten Realms is a Dungeons and Dragons fantasy world, created in 1978 by Ed Greenwood (nice guy, but an utter tool as a writer: do not read his novels as they make Goodkind and Newcombe look competent). It was adapted as an 'official' D&D game world in 1987. About 200 books have been published set in it. It's most famous writer is RA Salvatore, whose first novel The Crystal Shard is probably the finest single Forgotten Realms novel. Aftere that the law of diminishing returns kicks in and Salvatore's later books (the last half-decent one is Starless Night, although Siege of Darkness is quasi-acceptable) are unreadably bad.

The best overall FR series is the sadly out-of-print Empire Trilogy (Horselords, Dragonwall and Crusade), which rocked very hard. Some other good books are the Moonshae Trilogy and the Return of the Archwizards Trilogy. Since Salvatore lost the plot, Troy Denning and Paul Kemp have emerged as the Realms' most reliably entertaining authors, but even they've had off days.

Forgotten Realms is a Dungeons and Dragons fantasy world, created in 1978 by Ed Greenwood (nice guy, but an utter tool as a writer: do not read his novels as they make Goodkind and Newcombe look competent). It was adapted as an 'official' D&D game world in 1987. About 200 books have been published set in it. It's most famous writer is RA Salvatore, whose first novel The Crystal Shard is probably the finest single Forgotten Realms novel. Aftere that the law of diminishing returns kicks in and Salvatore's later books (the last half-decent one is Starless Night, although Siege of Darkness is quasi-acceptable) are unreadably bad.

The best overall FR series is the sadly out-of-print Empire Trilogy (Horselords, Dragonwall and Crusade), which rocked very hard. Some other good books are the Moonshae Trilogy and the Return of the Archwizards Trilogy. Since Salvatore lost the plot, Troy Denning and Paul Kemp have emerged as the Realms' most reliably entertaining authors, but even they've had off days.

I wouldn't quite claim its 'unreadable' and makes those other guys 'competent'.. *Though i'm sure alot of people will say they are more then competent they are gods* :P

If I were to recomend wot or forgotten realms, wot would be hands down.

They aren't GREAT but they arent BAD either. I read them as a 'time filler' between wot novels.. I mean you can only really re-read wot so many times before you just have to read somethign else as a 'break' then pick up wot again. Also mind you R.A Salvatore has to follow 'strict' rules when he writes all the books, thusly why they can be pretty dry, his other none forgotten realm books are a bit better, mostly because he has sole creative authority...

There was a set of novels I read as a 'break from wot' awhile ago, Its at the 'teen level' of books, fantasy. *Its above the first HP novels but its not 'wot' level.*

The "Series" is called 'His Dark Materials'. 3 Books.

One involves a 'looking glass' a 'knife' and something 'golden' *all the titles and all relevant to the main plot* Its worth the read imo, and so is Forgotten realms. *Man, if you don't love dritz... I dont' know what to say but man, you can't not help but to love drittz. *And I mean that in an entirely hetero-platanic way. :P *

goodkind is a douchebag. read my thread. the drizzt books are awesome, quick reads. the only downside is that they are really predictable. i only read the first 3 drizzt books, and the ending of that trilogy is slightly lame. they are still awesome though, and better than anything goodkind could ever hope to achive. that douchebag.

The Demon Wars series (two trilogies and a transition book) are not his first foray out of FR. His first book ever, Echoes of the Fourth Magic, was not a Realms book. He also has, before DW, The Spearwielder's Tale and The Crimson Shadow. But they're aren't that great.

And in the Realms he also wrote The Cleric Quintet which is not related to any of the Drizzt books at all. There was ONE brief mention of Mithril Hall but it was, "Hey, have you heard about Mithril Hall?" That was it. In Passage into Dawn the two series crossover somewhat and in the Hunter's Blade the dwarves were in the series but that is about it.

And the Trilogy he is working on right now, The Sellswords, are about Artemis and Jaraxle. After the first book I don't think Drizzt is even mentioned.

Drizzt was also a secondary non-appearing character in Spine of the World. That was about Wulfgar fighting his demons (pun not intended).

goodkind is a douchebag. read my thread. the drizzt books are awesome' date=' quick reads. the only downside is that they are really predictable. i only read the first 3 drizzt books, and the ending of that trilogy is slightly lame. they are still awesome though, and better than anything goodkind could ever hope to achive. that douchebag.[/quote']

Sorry man, but that's a load of ****. I like Salvatore(have all his books). But he is not even close to being as good as Goodkind(who is the best living author).

Hey now! we all know its

RJ > The two authors Whom I constantly think are the same guy but arent who wrote 'a song of fire and ice' and 'sword of truth' > Salvatore > Tolkien..

Yes Salvatore > Tolkien, I said it! :P

*clouts sin on the head* no way with all the action oriented plots...no way.

anyway, it really bothered me seeing jarlaxle spelled jaraxle... so what? call me anal. ;) i think that the sellswords is picking back up where things started to drop off in the begining. salvatore has a bad habit of writting something too long before he sees that his flare is going away, but they usually start off pretty good. I like him, but sometimes it seems like you are hearing a story from a speed freak. 90 to nothing and all action.

Archived