DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Soundtrack Music - It's A Knockout (Winner: Riders of Rohan)

Corki

As mentioned elsewhere, The Band of the Red Hand is taking a short break in its search for our Dream Band after Freddie Mercury of Queen won the Male Vocalist part of the quest, joining Carlos Santana on Guitar, Geddy Lee as the bass player, and Within Temptation's Sharon den Adel as the female vocalist. Instead, for April, we are focusing on Soundtrack music and composers. You managed to nominate sixteen (16) pieces of Soundtrack music to challenge for the honour of being the Band's and DM's Favourite Soundtrack Piece of Music. And that title falls to piece of music that wins this "It's A Knockout" contest. It is basically down to you to pick who gets that important position.

"It's A Knockout" remains with the longer format this month - and this means there are 16 Soundtrack Pieces instead of 8!

Also, at the same time, do get involved in the corresponding "It's A Knockout" thread that focuses on Soundtrack Composers.

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel, music and eating out Social Group, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of the chosen category (past categories include Micheal Jackson songs, Classical Music, One Hit Wonders). Each day, 2 or 4 Soundtrack Pieces will be posted in either 1 or 2 ties, along with links so you can listen to the music if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which piece you think is the better of the two in the tie. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning piece will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 piece of music left as the winner at the end of the competition - who will named the Band's and DM's Favourite Piece of Soundtrack Music. It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Round 1

1. Binary Sunset from Star Wars (John Williams) lost to Main Theme from Jurassic Park (John Williams) (4-5)

2. Duel of Fates from Star Wars (John Williams) beat May it Be from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore) (6-2)

3. Riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore) beat Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter (John Williams) (5-3)

4. Ederlezi from Les Temps des Gitans (Goran Bregovic) lost to Into the West from Lord of the Rings (Annie Lennox/Howard Shore) (2-6)

5. The Battle from Gladiator (Hans Zimmer) lost to The Medallion Calls from Pirates of the Caribbean (Klaus Badelt) (3-4)

6. The Imperial March from Star Wars (John Williams) beat Concerning Hobbits from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore) (5-2)

7. The Coronation from Stardust (Ilan Eshkeri) beat Destruction of Home Tree from Avatar (James Horner) (5-3)

8. The Blood of Cuchulainn from Boondock Saints (Mychael Danna) beat Ouverture from Le Grand Bleu (Eric Serra) (5-1)

2nd Round

1. The Blood of Cuchulainn from Boondock Saints (Mychael Danna) lost to Riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore) (0-6)

2. Duel of Fates from Star Wars (John Williams) beat The Medallion Calls from Pirates of the Caribbean (Klaus Badelt) (4-2)

3. The Coronation from Stardust (Ilan Eshkeri) beat Into the West from Lord of the Rings (Annie Lennox/Howard Shore) (5-4)

4. The Imperial March from Star Wars (John Williams) beat Main Theme from Jurassic Park (John Williams) (5-2)

Semi-Final

1. Riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore) beat The Imperial March from Star Wars (John Williams) (5-4)

2. Duel of Fates from Star Wars (John Williams) beat The Coronation from Stardust (Ilan Eshkeri) (7-1)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. The Imperial March from Star Wars (John Williams) beat The Coronation from Stardust (Ilan Eshkeri) (6-1)

Final

1. Riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore) beat Duel of Fates from Star Wars (John Williams) (5-2)

THE CHOSEN PIECES OF SOUNDTRACK MUSIC

1. Binary Sunset from Star Wars (John Williams)

I just love this peace, close my eyes and I'm away from the hectic every day life and thinking there is something better out there.

2. Main Theme from Jurassic Park (John Williams)

This bit of music always makes me smile...its triumphant and dramatic and is instantly recognisable.

3. Duel of Fates from Star Wars (John Williams)

THIS is my favorite John Williams song, EVAR! He crafts a piece that, in my opinion, is beyond him. I'm not sure how he did it, but he truly broke the mold with this song. Such force, such clarity, such daring, such bravery, such action, in one song...it's incredible.

4. May it Be from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

I just love this song. The music is haunting as well as being sung in English and Quenya (elvish).

5. Riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

I just love the way this music flows, It conjures up the feeling of riding a horse and suits the landscape of Rohan and the Edge of the White Mountains, it backs onto.

6. Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter (John Williams)

It's a light and fun piece known as the main theme of Harry Potter.  It's well done and exciting and one of William's best pieces to date.

7. Ederlezi from Les Temps des Gitans (Goran Bregovic)

Incredibly beautiful and emotional.

8. Into the West from Lord of the Rings (Annie Lennox/Howard Shore)

Because it's a stunning piece of music and won an Academy Award in 2004 and really ends the trilogy well.

9. The Battle from Gladiator (Hans Zimmer)

What a way to open a film!! This bit of music tells you from the start who the victors are and really shows off the glory and adrenalin which comes from a full cavalry charge...it has been used in so many documentaries and commercials, it's got to be one of the best bits of soundtrack music out there!

10. The Medallion Calls from Pirates of the Caribbean (Klaus Badelt)

This song epitomizes courage, honor, daring, and hilarity for me. I just love the scene with Jack Sparrow sinking with his boat. It's a short song, but boy is it good!

11. The Imperial March from Star Wars (John Williams)

This has to be some of the best music from the film, you can see the Imperial Army all lined up in your head when this plays, lol!

12. Concerning Hobbits from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

Probably my favorite soundtrack piece ever, or at least in the top 3. It takes me to hills lush and green and far away and I describe it as "audio bliss"

13. The Coronation from Stardust (Ilan Eshkeri)

This has all my favourite bits of the Stardist score in it and captures the main mood of the film really well.

14. Destruction of Home Tree from Avatar (James Horner)

This is a really emotional piece of music, and the scene it accompanies has occurred hundreds of times in the past and will continue to occur into the future. Trust me, I'm a geologist.

15. The Blood of Cuchulainn from Boondock Saints (Mychael Danna)

Terrapin just likes the piece of music from the 1999 crime thriller film.

16. Ouverture from Le Grand Bleu (Eric Serra)

The music is supposed to echo the ocean, and the dolphins, and Serra absolutely nails it. There are other songs on the soundtrack that are better as songs, especially Hymn to the Sea, but this is the one that captures the spirit of the move.

Round 1, Tie 1

Binary Sunset from Star Wars (John Williams)

I just love this peace, close my eyes and I'm away from the hectic every day life and thinking there is something better out there.

Link:

vs.

Main Theme from Jurassic Park (John Williams)

This bit of music always makes me smile...its triumphant and dramatic and is instantly recognisable.

Link:

Voting ends Tuesday 20th April 2010 at 11pm (BST)

Round 1, Tie 2

Duel of Fates from Star Wars (John Williams)

THIS is my favorite John Williams song, EVAR! He crafts a piece that, in my opinion, is beyond him. I'm not sure how he did it, but he truly broke the mold with this song. Such force, such clarity, such daring, such bravery, such action, in one song...it's incredible.

Link: Duel of Fates from Star Wars

vs.

May it Be from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

I just love this song. The music is haunting as well as being sung in English and Quenya (elvish).

Link:

Round 1, Tie 3

Riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

I just love the way this music flows, It conjures up the feeling of riding a horse and suits the landscape of Rohan and the Edge of the White Mountains, it backs onto.

Link:

vs.

Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter (John Williams)

It's a light and fun piece known as the main theme of Harry Potter.  It's well done and exciting and one of William's best pieces to date.

Link: Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter

Round 1, Tie 4

Ederlezi from Les Temps des Gitans (Goran Bregovic)

Incredibly beautiful and emotional.

Link: Ederlezi from Les Temps des Gitan

vs.

Into the West from Lord of the Rings (Annie Lennox/Howard Shore)

Because it's a stunning piece of music and won an Academy Award in 2004 and really ends the trilogy well.

Link:

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in "It's A Knockout" threads counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post and vote at least 4 times.

Corki

Marshal-General

Social Group Leader

And here we go! In order to speed things up (and because I was busy working yesterday), there is a bumper load of ties to start off, so this doesn't drag! I know I am going to be unpopular with some of my pairings, but it is just the luck of the draw!  ;D

Main Theme from Jurassic Park (John Williams)

2. Duel of Fates from Star Wars (John Williams)d Shore)

Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter (John Williams)

5. The Battle from Gladiator (Hans Zimmer)

Concerning Hobbits from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

Destruction of Home Tree from Avatar (James Horner)

8. The Blood of Cuchulainn from Boondock Saints (Mychael Danna) vs. Ouverture from Le Grand Bleu (Eric Serra)

The Medallion Calls from Pirates of the Caribbean (Hans Zimmer) is by klaus Badelt isnt it?

Hans Zimmer did 2 and 3

I think Klaus is like his understudy/student or something

I will only accept your votes for the first 4 ties as those are the ones currently running.

If you want your votes to apply for the later ties, you will have to post again once those ties are up and running.

Binary Sunset from Star Wars (John Williams)

May it Be from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

Riders of Rohan from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

I love the music to LotR what can I say! :-\

And time to wrap this up and move onto the next two ties.

In the first tie, we have a draw between Binary Sunset and the Jurassic Park Theme at 4-4. So I get to cast the deciding vote, and that goes to the Jurassic Park Theme, which wins 5-4.

Duel of Fates eased to victory in the second tie, winning by 6 votes to 2.

Riders of Rohan had a stiffer test in the third tie, but came through with a 5-3 victory.

And Into the West came through 6-2 in the fourth tie, beating Goran Bregovic's Ederlezi (who is awesome live, as Northie and I saw him in Prague for free last September when we were there).

Round 1, Tie 5

The Battle from Gladiator (Hans Zimmer)

What a way to open a film!! This bit of music tells you from the start who the victors are and really shows off the glory and adrenalin which comes from a full cavalry charge...it has been used in so many documentaries and commercials, it's got to be one of the best bits of soundtrack music out there!

Link:

vs.

The Medallion Calls from Pirates of the Caribbean (Klaus Badelt)

This song epitomizes courage, honor, daring, and hilarity for me. I just love the scene with Jack Sparrow sinking with his boat. It's a short song, but boy is it good!

Link:

Voting ends Wednesday 21st April 2010 at 11pm (BST)

Round 1, Tie 6

The Imperial March from Star Wars (John Williams)

This has to be some of the best music from the film, you can see the Imperial Army all lined up in your head when this plays, lol!

Link:

vs.

Concerning Hobbits from Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)

Probably my favorite soundtrack piece ever, or at least in the top 3. It takes me to hills lush and green and far away and I describe it as "audio bliss"

Link: Concerning Hobbits from Lord of the Rings

Voting ends Wednesday 21st April 2010 at 11pm (BST)

Archived