DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Sea Folk don't eat fish?

ROB_88

it's been a while since i read this particular part but if i remember it correctly, in the beginning of TPoD the Atha'an Miere are arguing with the Kin women and calls them "fish-loving scavengers" and Elayne thinks about how she expected them to eat fish all the time.

this confuses me. they live on ships most of their lives, so fish should be a big part of their diet, right?

i just don't understand how they can possibly use a phrase for eating fish as an insult?

They didn't use a phrase for eating fish as an insult. They used a phrase for loving fish. I think you've just misinterpreted it in the same way as Elayne. Think about what she might really have been saying.

Think of how Aussies love sheep.

...New Zealand mate. The stereotype is that New Zealanders love sheep. You screwed up there.

And yes, the Sea Folk do eat lots of fish of course, it was just used in the same way "land-loving" or something like that might be used.

Yeah, I think it means how they love EATING fish, not in the 'tree/ animal' loving sense.
And yes, the Sea Folk do eat lots of fish of course, it was just used in the same way "land-loving" or something like that might be used.
So sweet, so innocent. Why would the Sea Folk, who eat fish, use a love of eating fish as an insult? No, I think you need to look at this like Troy McClure: "You said he was dead!?", "No, what I said is that he sleeps with the fishes." I know this appears a bit too subtle for some of you.

Yeah, I think it means how they love EATING fish, not in the 'tree/ animal' loving sense.
So sweet, so innocent. Why would the Sea Folk, who eat fish, use a love of eating fish as an insult? No, I think you need to look at this like Troy McClure: "You said he was dead!?", "No, what I said is that he sleeps with the fishes." I know this appears a bit too subtle for some of you.

Woops, misread the OP, I thought someone used fish-loving as an insult AGAINST the Sea Folk. Um, indeed, I notice the subtext now...gotta love the subtle RJ innuendo.

Right, it's pretty much just a random racist remark. I can think of one almost exactly like it in real life, but it's not something I'd post.

/facepalm

Why would the sea folk use "fish loving" as a racist remark against someone not sea folk.

Its used as a sexual term.  "Fish loving scavenger" as in "carrion eater who has sex with a fish".

Archived