DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who else doesn't like Rand?

Naruto

Hello everyone, I'm new to WOT and I'm up to "The Path of Daggers" book.  I never read a book where I really disliked the main character until now.  Rand was fine in the beginning of the series but now I feel like he acts like a tyrant most of the time and I pretty much hate him and the way he treats everyone around him, even his friends.  I think my dislike for him started in "The Dragon Reborn" and I am really hoping Cadsuane changes him back but I really don't look forward to reading his POV anymore.  I thinks its because Rand pretty much overthrows the people in each kingdom and bullies them to support him or they can pretty much die if they don't.  I get the impression that Lews Therin was a leader of the people and had the peoples respect and I think the people now only support Rand out of fear rather than respect. I don't understand why Rand is treated like a King if he is suppose to be the Dragon Reborn because I don't think Lews Therin was a king or ruler during the War of Power age.

I hope Rand starts acting like he did in the first two books but I'd say so far I really like Mat's character the most.  I actually didn't like Mat in the first two books but I enjoy his POV the most now.  Maybe because his character is friendly and humorous and it seems his Band of the Red Hand Army follow him because they respect him.  I feel his respect was earned from his leadership skills developed from actual battle rather than him being a friend of Rands.  Well I'm wondering if others feel the same way about Rand or if I'm the only one.

If I had to guess I would guess that Matt is the single most liked character in the books. Don't forget, his knowledge isn't earned, far from it. He shuns who he is throughout the entire series. His knowledge was a gift from dead mans memories.

Also I would suggest reconsidering Rand. First of all when RJ wrote the books he only meant for it to be a six book series. So in the Dragon Reborn where he kills people and props them up in a salute to himself it isn't inline with the series. He even killed a woman in that scene and doesn't think twice about it. Later RJ sorta rewrites his ideas on that. I won't give more away, I will just say that part of that is the problem of turning the series from 6 books into what..13 or 14.

Also a part of Rand is very understandable. He just wanted to be a simple farmer like his Dad. He loves his dad and respects hard work. He finds out he is actually the most hated man in history, that lore is written about him destroying and killing and that his name is used like the Forsakens to scare people and kids. He finds out he is a monster and that he has the weight of the world on his shoulders...and that weight is breaking him. I wouldn't be so harsh on his character considering that. He went from Monday being a simple sheep farmer to Tuesday being the savior and destroyer of the world. He doesn't know how to handle it. Despite not wanting it at all, he accepts his duty and does the best with it that he can. For there is no one else. He knows this. He knows his failure will doom the world. He raises to a challenge that the vast majority of us never could.

Also I would suggest reconsidering Rand. First of all when RJ wrote the books he only meant for it to be a six book series. So in the Dragon Reborn where he kills people and props them up in a salute to himself it isn't inline with the series. He even killed a woman in that scene and doesn't think twice about it. Later RJ sorta rewrites his ideas on that. I won't give more away, I will just say that part of that is the problem of turning the series from 6 books into what..13 or 14.
The series grew as long as it did because RJ wanted to fit everything in and that took longer than originally expected, not because he kept adding stuff.

Personally, I like Rand, particularly in The Gathering Storm, as he reminds me of myself when I was that age. Only nicer.

Hello everyone, I'm new to WOT and I'm up to "The Path of Daggers" book.  I never read a book where I really disliked the main character until now.  Rand was fine in the beginning of the series but now I feel like he acts like a tyrant most of the time and I pretty much hate him and the way he treats everyone around him, even his friends.  I think my dislike for him started in "The Dragon Reborn" and I am really hoping Cadsuane changes him back but I really don't look forward to reading his POV anymore.  I thinks its because Rand pretty much overthrows the people in each kingdom and bullies them to support him or they can pretty much die if they don't.  I get the impression that Lews Therin was a leader of the people and had the peoples respect and I think the people now only support Rand out of fear rather than respect. I don't understand why Rand is treated like a King if he is suppose to be the Dragon Reborn because I don't think Lews Therin was a king or ruler during the War of Power age.

First off, Rand is my favorite character and always has been.  But you have to remember who he is.  The Dragon Reborn.  The man who is in prophecy after prophecy saying he will shatter all bonds, and shatter the world.  He is feared by all people because of what he is, and what he has to do.  Just the fact that he is here means that Tarmon Gaidon is coming.

Lews Therin was never treated as a king, because there was no prophecy about him destroying the world.  Secondly, saidin hadn't been tainted yet, and male Aes Sedai had not gone mad and caused the Breaking, yet. 

This is why Rand acts like a "tyrant."  He doesn't care how the nations follow him, or what he has to do to get them follow him, as long as they DO follow him when the time comes.  I agree that he goes over the top alittle bit from time to time, but hey, the guy knows he has to die to win, and the fate of the world rests on his shoulders.

Rand's actions are very understandable to me:

His whole world is rocked early on and all his friends treated him like a monster.

and no one wants to follow him, they would rather sweep him under the rug and forget. By being a tyrant he is forcefully opening their eyes to the future

I take it the original poster hasn't read the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant! :)

I like Rand, but the process of him becoming an increasingly heartless ***hole is a major part of his story arc.  The big question is - along with how on Earth will he do what he needs to do - whether he'll realise where his path is taking him and change the person he's becoming.

As others have explained, the reasons why he's ended up on this path are very clearly explained in the text, and in that context I could never see him as anything but a sympathetic character.

Would have liked to see Tolkien have the cojones to have Aragorn have one of the Tower Guard hung for killing a guy in a pub brawl.

I can understand what everyone is saying.  I can also appreciate RJ's exploration of a main character with a dark personality due to the extreme struggles he faces in a relative short time period and how he is suppose to adjust to his new environment of the world he did not really know growing up as a mere Shepard in the Two Rivers.  Again I have not read all of the books yet and am hoping his personality changes for the better.  Its just hard for me to like Rand the way he treats those that follow him.  Maybe it because he going crazy, I'm not sure.  One thing I did not like was how Rand was capable of murdering a TR friend over a argument.  I know the argument was suppose to be fake but it was later explained he really felt like doing it.  I guess years of friendship don't mean much.  I guess he is not my idea of a typical hero who fights the DO by acting tyrannical to those he is suppose to save.

I have also never read the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant!  :)

I have also never read the First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant!  :)
You should. I never got along with Donaldson's prose, but it's still an interesting and very important work of fantasy.

I guess he is not my idea of a typical hero who fights the DO by acting tyrannical to those he is suppose to save.

Rand has always been my favorite character and his PoV's where those I enjoyed the most, except maybe for Egwene's PoV's in TGS (that was good stuff). Others have already posted about why Rand acts like he acts and I totally agree. But your statement (the one I quoted) got my attention. What makes Rand this interesting for me IS the fact that he is not the typical hero who fights the DO. It's something which in my opinion makes the whole WoT series so interesting. It is not black and white. It is not good vs. evil. There are shades of gray. Of course Rand is one of the good guys, but to be able to carry his burden, he needs to do things that your typical fantasy hero would never ever do. This makes the WoT so much more 'real' if I dare say so. In real life, leaders will also do stuff for the good of their people although not everyone will agree with their methods.

It's like the old saying: 'The end justifies the means'.

Actually, on reflection, I'll definitely take back a couple of those ">>".  I prefer Donaldson, but along with Tolkien, he and Jordan are my three clear favourite authors - in a different league to anything else (certainly fantasy) that I've read.

Actually, on reflection, I'll definitely take back a couple of those ">>". I prefer Donaldson, but along with Tolkien, he and Jordan are my three clear favourite authors - in a different league to anything else (certainly fantasy) that I've read.
Have you tried George R.R. Martin or R. Scott Bakker?

Martin - yes; and as I typed that out the other day, I was thinking I was missing someone.  Martin is probably just behind the other three because I didn't like A Feast for Crows as much as the previous volumes (the ugly girl knight - Breanne?, can't remember right now - is a worse plot drain than Faile!) and A Dance of Dragons has now taken 6 years unless I'm mistaken.  The first few books in the series are absolutely amazing.

I forgot to include Frank Herbert in that list - Dune blows my mind, although unfortunately they were nowhere near as careful with its legacy as Harriet has been with WoT.  If anyone of the 'Outrigger' novels are written by Kevin Anderson, I'm gunna kill someone!

I haven't come across Scott Bakker before.  On a quick look on Wiki, looks interesting - will keep an eye out!

This is always the problem when you try and make a definitive statement like "my favourite (two, three, whatever) authors/movies/books/songs".  It's always impossible to separate them out.

lol - one of the Forsaken, I'd suspect Moridin himself - has replaced all our Richard Rahl's with Richard Rahl!  Can't believe the fiend would strike now, on the commencement of the fourth cycle of the moon after Bel Tine!

Richard Rahl was fine in the beginning of the series but now I feel like he acts like a tyrant most of the time and I pretty much hate him and the way he treats everyone around him, even his friends.  . . . Well I'm wondering if others feel the same way about Richard Rahl or if I'm the only one.

You only feel that way because you hate freedom

Richard Rahl was fine in the beginning of the series but now I feel like he acts like a tyrant most of the time and I pretty much hate him and the way he treats everyone around him, even his friends.  . . . Well I'm wondering if others feel the same way about Richard Rahl or if I'm the only one.

This is a thing of genius.  :D

Richard Rahl was fine in the beginning of the series but now I feel like he acts like a tyrant most of the time and I pretty much hate him and the way he treats everyone around him, even his friends.  . . . Well I'm wondering if others feel the same way about Richard Rahl or if I'm the only one.

This is a thing of genius.  :D

:D

Richard Rahl was fine in the beginning of the series but now I feel like he acts like a tyrant most of the time and I pretty much hate him and the way he treats everyone around him, even his friends.  . . . Well I'm wondering if others feel the same way about Richard Rahl or if I'm the only one.

I'm kinds new to the boards so I'm not too sure what Richard Rahl has to do with WoT?  Is this a inside joke between Wot versus SoT?  I'm new to fantasy in general and have always been into SF mostly but am trying out more fantasy books since I have gotten into warcraft lately too.

Doh!, forget it, I have now seen Barmacral thread.

I think you have to take it easy on Rand.  He was what... 16 the day he found out he was the Dragon reborn??  Come on!!  He was raised to farm sheep and tabac, what does he know about being a ruler?  Everything he does know was crammed into his head in a matter of a few days by Moiraine.  You can't possibly pick it all up that quickly.  Look at Elayne... trained from the cradle to rule and still bumbles it.  Ad that to the fact that he KNOWS the nations have to follow him or the DO wins, and the nations KNOW they have to follow him but still play there stupid games!!  ARGG!!  All those dam hi-lords in Tear are lucky he didn't just balefire em all right there and blame it on a teen-angst fit!! And the dam boot-lickers in Cairhein hoping to get some scraps from his table... a kid doesn't know how to deal with that!

Archived