DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Somewhat of a theory/discussion about a part in book2

lt;Ajgt;

Okay,in book 2 of the Wheel of Time. Theres the part where Rand and Loial and Harrin/whatevers hes called are ported to another world VIA the portstones from Rands accidental use of Saidin. When they were in there

Rand saw this, (this is a excerpt from the book):

"There was no sign of life; at least, Rand thought it must be so. Twice he saw a wispy streak crawling across the sky like a line drawn with a cloud. The lines were too straight to be natural it seemed, but he could not imagine what might make them."

I believe those white lines are contrails, if they're contrails there must be flying machines, also..the world is described as destroyed and desolate in parts of that chapter. Im thinking they're in a shell of the Third Age maybe, but I was also thinking. If Aes Sedai from the Third Age thought the world was about to be destroyed by male channelers going mad maybe some of them went through the Portstones into different worlds to escape death..

What are your opinions on this people?

It's just another world. Meaning another possible path that the Pattern could've taken. Those streaks could be contrails; that's certainly the idea that I got from reading it. But I don't think that there is any evidence to support your theory that female Aes Sedai from the Third Age used the Portal Stones. Actually, there's plenty of evidence against it.

Most Aes Sedai don't know anything about the Portal Stones. I'm pretty sure Verin was the only one who knew anything about them, and that was very limited. Rand knows more about the Portal Stones than anyone else, because he's the only one who's actually used them. Not including the Chosen, but they aren't of the Third Age.

It's just another world. Something Rand tripped into while channeling in his sleep. And Aes Sedai from the Third Age could not have gone there because Verin is really the only Aes Sedai (aside from Egwene and Moiraine) who knows about the Portal Stones.

Guest cwestervelt

It was Lanfear, not Rand, who transported them to that world.

From Egwene's dream in Chapter 12 of The Great Hunt.

... and she saw Rand sleeping on the ground, wrapped in a cloak. A woman had been standing over him, looking down. Her face was in shadow, but her eyes seemed to shine like the moon, and Egwene had known she was evil. Then there was a flash of light, and they were gone. Both of them.

I was a little wary about posting that because I wasn't sure about it. Thanks for the correction. Though it doesn't exactly say that Lanfear/Selene was the one who did it, that passage seems to indicate such. Thanks again.

Archived