DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nominate Your Best Male Vocalists for the Band's Dream Band!!!

Corki

The Band of the Red Hand continues its quest of picking its Dream band. Within Temptation's Sharon Den Adel, winner of the female vocalist part of the search, joins Carlos Santana (the guitarist) and Geddy Lee (the bass player) in the Band's Dream Band. Now our focus shifts to the world of male vocalists. This thread allows you to nominate your male vocalists to go into the "It's A Knockout" contest to win the slot in the Band of the Red Hand's Dream Band. And below is what you need to do!

Between now and SUNDAY 14TH MARCH 2010, nominate the male vocalists you want to see try and take that spot. Follow the simple proforma below to get a nomination in. Name your male vocalist, explain why you have nominated them, and provide a YouTube clip (or similar) of their skill.

[u][b]Male Vocalist's Name:[/b][/u] 
[u][b]Reason for Nomination:[/b][/u] 
[u][b]YouTube (or similar link):[/b][/u] 

You can nominate more than one male vocalist. Any nomination that is seconded, i.e. Krak suggests Male Vocalist X and Farcrie agrees with the nomination, automatically qualifies for a place in the "It's A Knockout" contest. Otherwise, it will be done on a first come, first served basis. If there are any gaps at the end of the nomination period, I will fill in the gaps.

PLEASE NOTE: I am looking for a minimum of 8 nominations, and a maximum of 16.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

Nominated Male Vocalists

Seconded (and with an automatic place in the "It's A Knockout" contest)

1. Bruce Dickinson

2. Hansi Kürsch (of Blind Guardian)

3. Dustin Kensrue (of Thrice)

Nominated

1. Ronnie James Dio

2. Joacim Cans (of Hammerfall)

3. Steve Perry (of Journey)

4. David Cook

5. Ray Davies (of the Kinks)

6. Corey Taylor (Of Slipknot/Stone Sour)

7. Michael Barnes (of RED)

8. Gerard Way (of My Chemical Romance)

9. Glen Hansard

10. Brian Adams

Added by Corki

1. Freddie Mercury (of Queen)

2. Jeff Buckley

3. Meat Loaf

Heh, think I must throw out two names, as there is no way I can chose only one of these fellas.

Male Vocalist's Name: Ronnie James Dio

Reason for Nomination: One of the most influental vocalists in the history of rock music, with a career starting with Elf in 1969, followed by Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and his own band Dio. Despite being about 100 years old, and slightly taller than the average smurf, he possesses one of the most powerful voices you can hear. He has also been credited with more or less inventing fantasy metal.

YouTube (or similar link):

Male Vocalist's Name: Bruce Dickinson

Reason for Nomination: Most famous as Iron Maidens vocalist 1981-1993, 1999-present, he has also enjoyed a fairly successful solocareer.

Dickinson is famous for his operatic style, and the use of highpitched screams that has nicknamed him the Airraid Siren.

Male Vocalist's Name: Joacim Cans (of Hammerfall)

Reason for Nomination:  This man's voice emits power, beauty and metal tenacity.  His control is superb and there is a quality to his vocals rarely seen in the power metal genre, none of the overdone vibrato or loss of control on high belted notes.  He carries himself as a professional as well, having been beat down by some "black metal" (I forget his name) fellow, he didn't let it put him down.

YouTube or similar link:

, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InPCajp0ERU

I nominate Corey Taylor!

will probably add to this, but he was my first thought for some reason ;)

Please do so! Fill in the proforma, and it will make my life so much easier!  ;D

Here's another one to consider:

Male Vocalist's Name: Steve Perry (of Journey)

Reason for Nomination:  Just listen to Journey :) I don't really know what else to say, the guy's an icon, and worthy of it too. IMO...

YouTube or similar link:

Male Vocalist's Name: David Cook

Reason for Nomination: David Cook was the winner of Season 7 of American Idol.  Before you judge, David has one of the best rock voices I've ever heard.  He was known for changing up well known songs such as Billy Jean by Michael Jackson, Eleanor Rigby by The Beatles, and Music from the Night from Phantom of the Opera.

Am I allowed to second 2 people if so I second both

Bruce Dickinson and Corey Taylor

When I get some more time I will do one of my own that I'm sure Corki will second (Hansi Kürsch [blind Guardian])

Am I allowed to second 2 people if so I second both

Nothing stopping you, so I will now put both in the "seconded" area. However, Corey Taylor isn't officially in yet...the proforma hasn't been filled out to submit him.

Male Vocalist's Name: Ray Davies (of the Kinks)

Reason for Nomination: I blame my mum for liking Ray Davies - I even went to him with her in the wet last summer as my dad wouldn't go! He is a brilliant and talented songwriter, which has been called more mature, sophisticated, and subtle, and covers a wide variety of topics. Davies and the Kinks have been cited as major influences in the Britpop craze of the 1990s. The two songs I have chosen I feel show the depth to Davies' vocals - the softness of Lola and the roughness in You Really Got Me.

and Lola

Oops must've missed the bit about why and such.... here's my FORMAL nomination =P

Male Vocalist's Name: Corey Taylor (Of slipknot/stone sour)

Reason for Nomination: First person that honestly came to mind when I saw this thread. I love his vocals in both bands, awesome harsh angry vocal as well as more melodic tunes- as well as his guest vocal in Apocalyptica's song "I'm Not Jesus"...hmm, do I need any other reason?

YouTube (or similar link): Am I allowed to post more than one???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XBbJFLU9dY

Male Vocalist's Name: Michael Barnes (of RED)

Reason for Nomination: Hmm...I first consciously heard RED when my sister bought the song "Never Be the Same" from their album Innocence & Instinct and it accidentally got downloaded to my iTunes library.  While Michael Barnes doesn't write the music, his vocals bring the song to life.  I also have recently fallen in love with their song "Breathe Into Me" from their debut album, End of Silence (I'd heard it before but never really listened to it).  "Breathe Into Me" peaked at #15 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock chart and won the "Rock Recorded Song of the Year" award at the 38th annual GMA Dove Awards in 2007. It also broke the top ten on Active Rock charts.  Anyway, I just really love his voice.

and

Male Vocalist's Name: Gerard Way (of My Chemical Romance)

Reason for Nomination: I think Gerard has a great voice, and it's pretty unique, too.  At least, I haven't really heard anyone who sounds quite like him.  At any rate, My Chemical Romance has won some awards (see here for a list of nominations and won awards), and they have a huge fan following.  I'm not nominating the band, though, just the vocalist. :D (even though I really really like some of their stuff >.>)

YouTube:

, "Sleep", and

Also, I second David Cook.  I'd considered nominating him myself, but since someone else beat me to it....  He's great. :D

Name: Glen Hansard

Reason for Nomination: Writer and star of the movie Once; Hansard began his career as the frontman of the group "The Frames" before finding success with Marketa Irglova as "The Swell Season".  He has the voice of an angel hard-drinking Irishman, but it's a great voice worthy of being our Male Dream Vocalist.  The Swell Season's song Falling Slowly won the Oscar for Best Original Song for 2006.

, When Your Mind's Made Up

Males Vocalist's Name:Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian)

Reason for Nomination:I really am struggling to think of much to put here other than What a Voice. It pretty much sums it up. He is able to change  between soft and powerful so easily that it means he can sing a wide variety of songs.

Males Vocalist's Name: Dustin Kensrue (of Thrice)

Reason for Nomination: In my opinion, this guy is one of the most brilliant vocalists I've ever heard. He has an unmatched ability of combining eloquence with aggression melodically. Not to mention that the lyrics he sings (which he also writes), will keep you entertained and make you think as well. He is also a successful solo artist. Upon the release of his first album, Please Come Home, he appeared on David Letterman's talk show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and The Fuse Network. Please Come Home met with mostly favorable reviews from critics, who have compared Kensrue's versatility in his vocals to singer/songwriter Ryan Adams and Johnny Cash. He has also recently released another solo album titled This Good Night Is Still Everywhere, which was a Christmas album, and his most recent album with his band Thrice was Beggers.

Youtube: With Thrice: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ThriceVEVO#p/u/2/UbAjxltPmuI

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ThriceVEVO#p/u/1/TzNSaxZqw24

Solo:

Nominations are now closed.

I only have to find 3 male vocalists to add, which I am doing now. The full list will be published shortly, and the "It's A Knockout" contest will begin.

The final 16 are as follows:

1. Bruce Dickinson

2. Hansi Kürsch (of Blind Guardian)

3. Dustin Kensrue (of Thrice)

4. Ronnie James Dio

5. Joacim Cans (of Hammerfall)

6. Steve Perry (of Journey)

7. David Cook

8. Ray Davies (of the Kinks)

9. Corey Taylor (Of Slipknot/Stone Sour)

10. Michael Barnes (of RED)

11. Gerard Way (of My Chemical Romance)

12. Glen Hansard

13. Brian Adams

14. Freddie Mercury (of Queen)

15. Jeff Buckley

16. Meat Loaf

Archived