DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Goodkind's Sword of Truth series optioned

Zaren

Yeah! Another fan! Way to go loki! Is it just coincidence or is your forumname based on Jilian's raven in Chainfire?

seems its just coincidence i think i started SoT after joining here. why i chose it is on p3 of the thread erm for that (?) . i wonder who will get the parts though? it would be interesting to see who plays Zedd, if he did it well and if they ever did make a WoT movie then he might make a good Thom

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Egwene

lol... I'll apply for a place in Manchester!

my mind is playing tricks... sorry... Thom and Zedd... yes, now that I can see. I could see Sean Connery in that role...

[quote name="Hannibal King

I'm just glad that there are fans of Goodkind here after seeing all of the remarks that came before them. And by the way Goodkind said that Fantasy was a dead genre that has become cliched tripe' date=' and he is right. He agrees that some fantasy is decent(he read David Drake's Lord of the Isles and Terry Brooks' Shannara) but he acknowledges that it is becoming cliched. P.S. Enough of the psychotic ideas, TG's fans are not fanatics, they are just good fans. I'm sure that if someone came onto this site and did nothing but bash RJ, I'm sure that there would be a few here that would try their hardest to correct that opinion.

That made me laugh, because David Drakes work is absolute garbage. I only read the first book of his because his main characters reminded me too much of Anakin in The Phantom Menace. Of course Goodkind likes Drake, if you compare the two Drake makes his stuff look good.

(For Egwene) Just so you know' date=' TG is a devout objectivist (a philosophy made by an author named Ayn Rand) and he infuses his ideals into his books just like Ayn Rand did in "Atlas Shrugged". Sorry but TG doesn't read fantasy, he said he read those two series, but he usually just reads non-fiction and Ayn Rand and a guy named Dean Koontz. If anyone here wants to listen to an interview to get their facts straight just say so and I'll give you the link for it.[/quote']

I find this to be BS also, he had to of read RJ, he stole half his ideas from him.

Guest Egwene

Whether he did or didn't read RJ... a lot of those ideas that people pick up on as being WoT rip offs, are an element of fifty percent of all fantasy. In fact, good old fairytales are full of poor farmboys and girls going out into the world, turning into princes and princesses in the process. Why not accuse him of stealing from those? Whatever may have inspired him from other authors, there is a lot more of unically TG in tSoT series than there is of others.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous it makes you look when you shout at everyone who expresses an opinion that differs from yours? You've done everyhting but call me names in this thread and yet still I'm willing to have an objective conversation on the merits of this series and this author without resorting to stomping my feet and screaming every time someone disagrees with me.

As to whether TG has read the Wheel of Time, I really don't care. There's another thread in here that talks about the fact that a great many of the themes in fantasy novels tend to be the same or at least similar, but frankly, the statements that he has made regarding his opinions on the genre lose a great deal of credibilty given that he has not even attempted to read or become educated about 99% of the books and authors that write in the genre.

First of all I could tell you that I dont read fantasy, but that would be a lie. Just because he says it doesnt make it the truth. Secondly I am specifically talking about things in his early books that are not Fantasy Ideas, but specific things in Jordans books that preceded his that he uses. Such as the male magic users going insane, a group of female magic users that try to control the main character, and also the use of a collar and leash to control someone.

Guest Egwene

But isn't it all much like using Elves? The story still developes in quite a different manner.

I am involved in the DM writers project and one guy came up with a concept that was almost identical to the recent series by a fantasy author. However, he swears blind he has never read the series. There are ideas that are waiting to be picked up by authors... I do feel it is possible to come up with the same thing as someone else independently.

Im only adding this because I thought it was funny and thought maybe others would too.

"What a great idea, a pick-up line for ICE & FIRE readers! Don't know what to say to that cute girl you just spotted at the con party? Just stroll up and whisper, "Valar Morghulis." If she replies, "Valar Dohaeris," you know you've got something in common, and you're off and running, talking about your favorite characters and the books in general and other books you've liked and... who knows where it will end? And if she gives you a blank look instead, that's good too. Either she doesn't read at all, or she's a Terry Goodkind fan, and you can move on and find someone else. It's well known, mixed marriages don't work." /quote George R.R. Martin from his website. :lol: :lol:

Guest Egwene

lol.. I think you ought to put that on the Dragon*Con thread over on the DM Meets board, Merlinspetrock... maybe on the 'women attending' one... forewarned is forearmed :wink:

Yelling Dice? Who is yelling? Ahh the glory of edits. Okay, I promise that I will no longer shout in computer language or be uncivilized. Let me just put it this way, I will gladly take Goodkind's word that he doesn't usually care for reading fantasy. I also believe that he is a good enough individual and will not lie to his fans about ripoffs.

First of all I could tell you that I dont read fantasy' date=' but that would be a lie. Just because he says it doesnt make it the truth. Secondly I am specifically talking about things in his early books that are not Fantasy Ideas, but specific things in Jordans books that preceded his that he uses. Such as the male magic users going insane, a group of female magic users that try to control the main character, and also the use of a collar and leash to control someone.[/quote']

When did male magic users go insane in TG's earlier books? If you mean richard's headaches, that was just the need to take control of the power of the gift. He wasn't going insane. If that isn't what you were talking about, please explain.

I am a TG fan, but I do have some critiques of his books, at least the last few. He tells us WAY too much rather than showing us, which is what authors should always do. I am getting sick of the long speeches that sound like you're reading a philosophy book--in fact, in Phantom there is a single conversation that goes on for around 50 pages. I also don't like the way TG slams faith, especially when he contradicts himself. For example, in that 50 page discussion where faith is bashed repeatedly, they talk about how they can't know whether there even is an afterlife. Well, the characters in question KNOW that there is an afterlife in the SOT world because they have on numerous occasions had contact with people who have died earlier in the series. They have personally seen the veil and the underworld.

Anyway, in conclusion, I love the story of the SOT series and the characters, but I don't like the fact that TG has completely changed them all into objectivists who give long sermons.

When did male magic users go insane in TG's earlier books? If you mean richard's headaches' date=' that was just the need to take control of the power of the gift. He wasn't going insane. If that isn't what you were talking about, please explain.[/quote']

Im seriously not paying for that crap again, or wasting the library's (or my) time in getting it and reasearching it. I dont remember exactly why he was leashed, but it had to do with a group of witches not trusting men. You know as well as I do that it is a total rip off of what RJ had already done up to that point. Not to mention that there was a monster that was almost a complete copy of drakghar (sp?) He can clain whatever he wants to, but in my book he is a self important hack who stole advanced ideas from others (beyond just fantasy themes, and I agree that RJ stole alot in the begining from TLoTR's). If David Drake wasnt so bad I would rate TG below that, but DD wins the prize with TG a close second. No wonder why he likes Dean Koontz. Koontz takes most of his ideas from Stephen King, he just writes them for people that are not at a college level reading comprehension.

Im seriously not paying for that crap again' date=' or wasting the library's (or my) time in getting it and reasearching it. I dont remember exactly why he was leashed, but it had to do with a group of witches not trusting men. You know as well as I do that it is a total rip off of what RJ had already done up to that point. Not to mention that there was a monster that was almost a complete copy of drakghar (sp?) He can clain whatever he wants to, but in my book he is a self important hack who stole advanced ideas from others (beyond just fantasy themes, and I agree that RJ stole alot in the begining from TLoTR's). If David Drake wasnt so bad I would rate TG below that, but DD wins the prize with TG a close second. No wonder why he likes Dean Koontz. Koontz takes most of his ideas from Stephen King, he just writes them for people that are not at a college level reading comprehension.[/quote']

People always complain that I am too "nasty or whatever" but I find you just as irratating as everyone seems to find me. I mean, come on, in TG's books, the Sister's of the Light collar male wizards so that they can basically breed more wizards in the Palace of the Prophets. Never saw anything about fear of men in there. And what's the deal with bashing Koontz and Drake? I read Koontz and King and I see very few similarities there. And Drake, definately not one of the best Fantasy authors, but he's passable. Sure his books haven't gone a whole lot of anywhere in the last few books, but then again, the same could be said about RJ.

And I don't find much similarity between Short Tailed Gars and RJ's things.

a lot of this stuff is impossible to substantiate, one way or the other. similarities can happen out of coincidence; if he says he doesn't read fantasy, then we may as well treat it as being true. and frankly, if it's true, that makes him pretty stupid. writing in a genre you don't know about is moronic.

i'm not gonna argue about who ripped who off and who has read who.

my contention is that his stories are just plain lame and self-gratifying. the main character is just an outlet for goodkind's puerile daydreams about not being a total douche. his body of work is entirely masturbatory, just like all of his interviews show quite well.

Archived