DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Superman 3.0 - Reboot

Krakalakachkn

Looks like it's the season for reboots, but the good news is, Christopher Nolan will be mentoring the new Superman movie.  Hopefully the movie will get a good director attached.  If there were a director to make Superman a huge success, it's Nolan.  He did it with Batman, hopefully he can do it again.

He returned the once shunned "Batman" franchise to its rightful place at the top of the superhero film chain, now Deadline Hollywood Daily reports that "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan will try the same with the "Superman" franchise, albeit less involved.

According to the site, the studio plans to essentially reboot the franchise and have enlisted Nolan's help to 'mentor' the film's development and production. Nolan is highly unlikely to direct but would likely take on a major producer role while a more unknown but emerging promising talent to take the director's chair.

Despite being a Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures co-production like 2006's "Superman Returns", the film will NOT be a continuation of that modestly-received feature which suffered budgetary overruns and so-so box-office. The project is still very much in the earliest of developmental stages so its tone and content are as yet unknown.

• 1 month later...

I don't see Chris directing Superman, I don't think he wants to. Besides, he'll be busy with Batman. Those two films will probably be in production around the same time, or near enough that it'd make it impossible for him to do both even if he wanted to.

• 6 months later...

Zack Snyder set to direct Superman

"300" and "Watchmen" helmer Zack Snyder has been chosen to direct the relaunch of the "Superman" film franchise as Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures reports the trades.

Negotiations kicked off earlier today with Snyder who beat out the rumoured likes of Ben Affleck, Darren Aronofsky, Matt Reeves, Tony Scott and Robert Zemeckis for the gig.

General Zod is being rumoured to play the villain in the project which "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan will serve as producer on, while David Goyer ("Batman Begins") is penning the script.

Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder will also produce. The project is moving quick as the studio has to be in production by next year or risk losing select copyrights to the heirs of the character's creators.

Snyder and Nolan have apparently already been in discussions and while some further script work is in the immediate future, expect this one to ramp up fast.

One possibility already shot down though is Brandon Routh returning as the Man of Steel. Snyder tells Variety that the chances of the "Superman Returns" star coming back into the fold are "unlikely" as "we're looking in another direction".

• 3 months later...

And the nomination for Lois Lane are:

Natalie Portman's got a kid on the way, Anne Hathaway will be too busy playing Catwoman, but it seems most other actresses in their late 20's/early 30's are being linked to the role of Lois Lane in the upcoming "Superman" reboot.

With Henry Cavill locked for the Man of Steel, casting on Lois Lane is expected to be announced within the next week or two and will be highly contingent upon the actress fitting the window for filming the studio has scheduled.

What's Playing reports that they've heard seven names linked to the role. Two, Mary Elizabeth Winstead ("Scott Pilgrim") and Kristen Bell ("Heroes," "Burlesque") are very second hand, whereas the other five have apparently been asked to read for the part. Those five include:

1. Rachel McAdams

By far my personal choice on this list, the "Sherlock Holmes" and "The Notebook" actress was the name I saw most often mentioned when people were discussing, just after "Superman Returns" came out, who would've been a far better fir for Lois Lane than Kate Bosworth was. McAdams has some big fans at the studio and the actress made the shortlist for Catwoman in "The Dark Knight Rises" and was briefly linked back to "The Dark Knight" in 2007, so producer Chris Nolan seems to have a soft spot for her.

2. Jessica Biel

Said to be one of the leading contenders, Biel's skill for handling action in such films as "The A-Team," "Blade Trinity" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" makes her a counterpart to Kal-El that could hold her own in certain set pieces. How she'll go in the more dramatic moments... well, she's better than Bosworth anyway.

3. Dianna Agron

The "Glee" actress has the female lead role in the upcoming "I Am Number Four" and has been getting her name attached to a lot of major films around. Age-wise though she's decidedly on the 'too young' side.

4. Kristen Stewart

Has been linked for about a week now but it's unlikely as she has a lot of other offers on the table. She also looks decidedly younger than Cavill.

5. Malin Akerman

Zack Snyder's "Watchmen" star was considered a candidate, but she's notably older than Cavill and is many ways as much an unknown to major audiences as he is.

So far, I'm thinking Rachel McAdams.

No Lois Lane

So much for all those Lois Lane rumors this week, turns out Warner Bros. Pictures is trying something altogether different.

German actress Diane Kruger ("Inglourious Basterds," "National Treasure") along with Brits Alice Eve ("She's Out of My League"), and Rosamund Pike ("Die Another Day," "An Education") have now emerged as the three actresses in contention for the female lead character in the upcoming "Superman" reboot reports Variety.

The big twist? While the character's identity hasn't been disclosed, it has been confirmed that it will NOT be Lois Lane. The studio apparently doesn't want a name that could overshadow leading man Henry Cavill, so all the talk of Rachel McAdams and Kristen Stewart as Lois is now rendered null and void.

The studio is also in search of its villain, but no names have been locked and which character to be used (ie. Lex Luthor, General Zod, Brainiac, Darkseid, Parasite, etc.) will be used. Zack Snyder directs from a script by David Goyer with Christopher Nolan producing. Filming kicks off this Summer.

Looks like we can expect some heavy ass-kicking in this version of Superman.

If there was one common complaint about Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" it was a lack of action, and more specifically a lack of Superman actually fighting bad guys.

Zack Snyder, the director of the upcoming reboot, tells SFX Magazine he's taking a different approach - "I can't really talk about that without being kind of specific. But I can say I think Superman needs to be physical."

Snyder adds that his major, if not sole reason for taking on the project was the new approach to the character that David Goyer's script takes - "My feeling about Superman is that I've been a fan of the character for a long time. But the question for me was always, 'What can you do with Superman in a modern world?' And I think the amazing thing that Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer have created, that I'm working on now, and the reason why I was like, 'Yeah, I'll do that,' was that they found that in him. They found the why in him. That's the exciting part for me."

• 3 weeks later...

Diane Lane will play Martha Kent in Zack Snyder's upcoming Superman movie for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures says The Hollywood Reporter.

The studio made the announcement late yesterday adding that Lane will play "the only mother Clark Kent has ever known." Snyder added "This was a very important piece of casting for me because Martha Kent is the woman whose values helped shape the man we know as Superman. We are thrilled to have Diane in the role because she can convey the wisdom and the wonder of a woman whose son has powers beyond her imagination."

Lane is only the second official piece of confirmed casting in the project after Henry as the new Clark Kent/Superman. At last report Kevin Costner and Viggo Mortensen were tipped for Jonathan Kent and General Zod respectively, but no serious movement has happened on either role. Mortensen's deal for "Snow White and the Huntsman" is looking to be almost done which would rule him out of the running for "Superman" due to conflicting shooting schedules.

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin Costner Onboard

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures finally confirmed today in a press release that Kevin Costner will play Jonathan Kent, the father who raised Clark Kent as his own son, in the new "Superman" movie to be directed by Zack Snyder.

Snyder states “Jonathan Kent is the only father figure Clark has ever had, the man who was there to help Clark understand what he was meant to do in the world as Superman. Kevin will be able to communicate the quiet strength of this rural American man who raised the greatest super hero of all time.”

Costner will star alongside Diane Lane as his wife, Martha, and Henry Cavill as Clark.

Amy Adams is playing Lois Lane

Multiple Oscar nominee Amy Adams ("Enchanted," "The Fighter," "Night at the Museum 2") is set to play journalist Lois Lane in the upcoming reboot of the "Superman" franchise for Warner Bros. Pictures reports The Los Angeles Times.

The 36-year-old actress literally got the news a few hours ago from director Zack Snyder who phoned her from Paris. Snyder tells the paper “There was a big, giant search for Lois. For us it was a big thing and obviously a really important role. We did a lot of auditioning but we had this meeting with Amy Adams and after that I just felt she was perfect for it.”

Snyder declined to talk about the extent of the Lois role in the story other than claiming it's “a linchpin” to the project with his take on Lois set to have "contemporary appeal and spirit".

“It goes back to what I’ve said about Superman and making him really understandable for today. What’s important to us is making him relevant and real and making him empathetic to today’s audience so that we understand the decisions he makes. That applies to Lois as well. She has to be in the same universe as him [in tone and substance]” says Snyder.

What's most hilarious about that is all the whiny little dweebs on Superhero Hype saying that OMFG she's too OLD as if at 36 she needs to worry about breaking her hip getting out of bed. So, Kate Bosworth was too young at 24, and Amy Adams is too old at 36, I guess they want someone who is at exactly 30 years of age and will be replaced the second she hits 31, even if it happens right in the middle of filming.

Actually that would be kind if cool if they wanted to troll the audience.

I think Amy Adams is a good fit, but I'm skeptical of the wole thing.

I think Zach Snyder is just a bit too over the top (of course it could just be that I didn't really like 300 or Watchmen).

Also I think the Superman origin has been kind of done to death, but you never know. If it goes well, maybe we'll se a Zach Snyder Death and Rebirth, and THAT could be something cool.

Two notes on that: first, Chris Nolan is grandfathering this project, so he should hopefully be able to rein in the worst of Snyder's excesses and keep him on course. Second, as is typical for anything Nolan is involved in, there has been precisely zilch in the way of credible story information, so we don't know if they're actually touching on the origin. Johnathan and Martha Kent are useful to the character beyond raising him, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

Great News

Michael Shannon as General Zod will face off against Henry Cavill’s Superman in director Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel.

Warners Bros. announced Sunday that Shannon, who received an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor for Revolutionary Road for his performance as a mentally-troubled man and who has also been seen as a stern federal agent in HBO’s Boardwalk Empire, has been cast as Superman’s nemesis.

"Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don't. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role," Snyder said.

Zod, like Superman, is from Krypton, where he commanded its armed forces. The character appeared in both 1978’s Superman and its 1980 sequel Superman II, where he was played by actor Terence Stamp.

The developing cast of Man of Steel also includes Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent.

Shannon, repped by CAA and Byron Wetzel Management, will next be seen in Sony Pictures Classics’ Take Shelter, from director/writer Jeff Nichols.

Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder are the producers of the film, which will be distributed worldwide by Warners. The screenplay is being written by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.

• 3 weeks later...

Female Villain casting announced

German actress Antje Traue has been cast as villainess Faora in the Zack Snyder-directed Superman reboot "Man of Steel" at Warner Bros. Pictures reports Variety.

Traue was the female lead in the sci-fi horror thriller "Pandorum" and tested for the lead female role in "The Rite" which ultimately went to Alice Braga.

In the comics Faora was a Kryptonian serial killer who targeted only men and was sentenced to the Phantom Zone for three centuries where she survived the destruction of Krypton. She also knew a special martial art that made her an extremely dangerous foe for Superman to face in hand-to-hand combat.

The character is better known for her more recent incarnations in the comics and in other media. General Zod's right-hand woman Ursa (Sarah Douglas) in "Superman II" was directly inspired by Faora. In "Smallville" she was portrayed as the wife of Zod.

Traue joins a cast that includes Henry Cavill as Superman, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Michael Shannon as General Zod, and Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Jonathan and Martha Kent.

I like the idea of a hot female who knows "special martial arts". She's going to have to work hard to usurp Scarlett Johan's role as Black Widow in IM2 as hottest female martial artist.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Laurence Fishburne has joined the cast of Zack Snyder's Man of Steel in the role of Perry White, EW reports.

The Editor-in-Chief of Clark Kent's newspaper outlet, "The Daily Planet", White made his first appearance in "Superman" #7 in 1940 and was famous for his steadfast journalistic integrity and his catchphrase, "Great Caesar's Ghost!"(which was originated on the 1950's radio show by actor John Hamilton).

Jackie Cooper played the role in the original Richard Donner Superman films with Frank Langella performing as the character in 2006's Superman Returns. Michael McKean guest-starred as White on the television adaptation, "Smallville."

Fishburne, famous to genre fans for his role as Morpheus in The Matrix, will join Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Michael Shannon, Antje Traue, Russell Crowe, Julia Ormond, Christopher Meloni and Harry Lennix for the film, currently in production.

Man of Steel is set for release on June 14, 2013.

And once again out come all the people who feel their white entitlement threatened by the fact that a supporting character that was invented back when everyone was white is being played by a black man. Complaints about this, but never anything about why an alien from a planet a bazillion miles away looks like a Caucasian human man.

And once again out come all the people who feel their white entitlement threatened by the fact that a supporting character that was invented back when everyone was white is being played by a black man. Complaints about this, but never anything about why an alien from a planet a bazillion miles away looks like a Caucasian human man.

Are people complaining?

Archived