DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

FIFA 10

Ashaman DeRouge

Gameplay wise it's superb. I think the collision handling and movement of the players feels better and better, and they are making it easier to play it like an actual game of football.

Personally I think there's a huge jump from Fifa 07 to 10. I think it was number 08 or so that made some huge changes that made the game less arcadey and more sim-y. Fifa 10 is the best in regards to that realism, the players actual move like people, and once you get into it it's a beautiful thing.

You've also got a shite-load more control over how your team plays, defense pressure or offside traps, quick passing or long balls, you can control what runs the players make during set peices etc.

It's pretty great. That being said I've never played PES.

That sounds a lot better than Fifa 08.  I remember in 08 the AI goalkeepers were insanely good and the only way to score with consistency was to run down the flank and cross it in.  I remember the players handled downright clumsily and there wasn't much control over those things you mentioned.

It's very much improved. I have a tendancy to play it outside then pass it back towards the top of the box running forward, and I get shut out a lot from the defense, so you do have to be clever or fast, or cross and hope. The goalies are still good, but a good shot will beat them unlike 08. In 08 you had to be ridiculously good to get it past them from open play.

They also improved the tricks side of thing, which I never ever used, except now theres an awesomely easy little spin, which if you time it right makes you feel like a God ;D

let me put this clearly. It craps all over 08. The handling can still feel 'heavy', but never clumsy, it's just a matter of getting used to the players taking a proper time to turn, accelerate etc.

• 2 months later...

I just whipped Everton 8-2 in the FA Cup (on legendary. yeah, what up?) and the game freezes everytime I try to end the match and go back to the manager mode menu. If I try to sim it, it will freeze after the next match I play is over. I was only on my second season as Chelsea and was getting a lot of young talent to the club, and then this happens?! This happened to a friend of mine's game as well. The game went from a 10/10 to a 8/10 in my eyes because of this.

Yeah, I'm coming to learn that.  Although, today wasn't terrible: won my first game 3-0, but then lost my second game (same opponent) 0-3.

My biggest beef is that the computer automatically changes my characters at the most inopportune time.  Case in point: I was going after an opposing player with possession and clicked x to slide tackle (I was planning on slide tackling across the balls path to intercept it) but right as I clicked x the computer changed my character to one in the box (on my side) and he received the slide tackle command.  Unfortunately he ended up taking out the legs of the opponent receiving the pass, in the box.  So, of course, my opponent got a penalty kick, made it, and won the game by one.

Also, I've been wondering what causes the comp. to change my character.  I thought it was whoever is closest to the ball, but sometimes it changes to someone way far away from the opponent with possession, so I don't think that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post on Dragonmount in like 4 years, so Hi. :)

That sounds a lot better than Fifa 08.  I remember in 08 the AI goalkeepers were insanely good and the only way to score with consistency was to run down the flank and cross it in.

I remember doing that back in Fifa 04 on the old Xbox. It doesn't seem to work that way anymore, this (Fifa 10) is the first football game I've picked up for nearly 4 years.

I just whipped Everton 8-2 in the FA Cup (on legendary. yeah, what up?) and the game freezes everytime I try to end the match and go back to the manager mode menu.

That's because the game is intelligent and knows that no one is good enough to beat Everton.  :D Are you playing on Xbox or PS3? I've had a couple of delays on the 360 as it loads and doesn't seem to do anything (no 'Loading' text or anything), but it'll start up again after a minute or so.

Biggest differences I've noticed from earlier games (not counting graphics) are the improved and more realistic ai, the annoying player-switching mentioned by Krakalakahkn (sp?) and the much more in-depth manager mode section. I'm also liking the Be-a-Pro bit, but it takes a while to get used to.

Anyone else playing the FUT bit?

FIFA Ultimate Team? I have no idea what it is, to be honest. I just assemble the greatest players under Liverpool and dominate manager mode for 15 years :P Ah David Villa, if only you could live forever...

That freezing issue sounds like a corrupt save file, Hax. Happened to me on 09 a few days before I bought 10 hah.

I started a new game with Chelsea and I'm now using several save files and I turned off autosave. I had a game against Bristol City today. I thought it was the second leg of the League Cup semi final because I had already beat them 7-2 not long ago. I decided to use only my reserve players. I lost 1-0, but didn't think it was a biggie, cus I'd go through on aggregate. I was wrong. The last game I played against them was in the League Cup, but not the semi finals. This was the 3d round of the FA cup (my first FA cup game of the season). The board lost all confidence in me and I lost all my reputation, and even though I won 5-0 against Spurs the next week, I got sacked. The only clubs that wanted me was a League 2 club and one in the Irish League... I loaded. :D

Hahahaha!

Abra fired you after a relatively minor result?

I don't beleive it!

I actually stole Essien from chelsea for my manager mode team, he's quite handy.

And yes, Liverpool's game last night was awesome. Like the commentary stated, the target area for Torres' first would have been RIDICULOUSLY tiny. Contender for goal of the season.

I have a feeling that the more I play the worse I get. I lost 4-1 to freaking Bolton! I took my anger out on the wall and now my hand is swollen, which doesn't help my game. When I get frustrated I play even worse. I wonder if the neighbours heard my tantrums yesterday.

Motherf*cker it happened again! Game freezes up after wiping the floor with the Spurs. I haven't turned the xbox off yet in the hope that it'll start again, but going on 10 minutes and no response. Hopefully it won't happen when I load, but I've played six games since the last time I saved. AAARGH! I hate EA for not fixing this. I googled it and people have been having this problem since release, and EA hasn't even acknowledged it, which probably means there will be no fix in the future either. Wankers.

That sucks ass man. I think it happened to me once, and I fixed it by purging the xbox of anything FIFA related ever. Not sure if that helps.

I get the FIFA tantrum too. Nothing makes me angrier in life. I'm totally serious about that statement. And yeah it does seem like the longer a season goes, and the more seasons you play, it gets harder and harder to find space, and my players seem to really slow down for no discernable reason sometimes. Take from that what you will hah.

The only thing that gets me worked up more than FIFA is NFL Madden. Have you tried it? When things go wrong in that game you lose all control of bodily functions and you just go nuts. I had to stop playing it. My level of suckiness was dangerous to my health.

Archived