DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

2009 Top Singles - It's a Knockout (Winner: Lady Gaga's Poker Face)

Corki

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 1, Tie 8

Bonkers by Dizzee Rascal (15)

The song also features American producer Armand Van Helden. It was the first single from Dizzee Rascal's fourth album. It was released in May 2009 and went straight to number 1 in the UK charts. It was also a move away for Dizzee Rascal from his grime style of music into pop and house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b94beDQQtWI

vs.

I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas (2)

This was the Black Eyed Peas second single from their fifth album. The song was produced by acclaimed French house DJ David Guetta, who makes a guest appearance in the music video. It went in at number 2 in the US and Canadian charts - behind Boom Boom Pow, another of their songs. It was a lot slower in the UK, but it eventually reached the top spot. The song has since been nominated for Record of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals at the 52nd Grammy Awards.

Voting ends Saturday 16th January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 2, Tie 1

In for the Kill by La Roux (6)

This is the English electropop's second single from their début album and it is peaked at number 2 within the UK chart. The song is heavily influenced by the title theme of the '80s cartoon classic Pole Position. Singer Elly Jackson said that the song is "about telling someone how you feel regardless of what you get back, and not waiting to find out if they want you or not".

vs.

The Fear by Lily Allen (14)

This was a popular song across Europe, peaking into the top 20 of a large majority of European countries, and spending 4 weeks at the top of the UK charts during January and February 2009. The song incorporates electropop music as the lyrics tackle the problems with celebrity lifestyles and include metaphors for recognized British newspapers, as well as sarcasm.

Voting ends Monday 18th January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

I'm going to let this run until the morning to give the stragglers a time to vote (and I am feeling tired and want some sleep and re-energize!). Also, "Tune or No Tune" will go up tomorrow as well when my batteries are charged.

Round 2, Tie 2

I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas (2)

This was the Black Eyed Peas second single from their fifth album. The song was produced by acclaimed French house DJ David Guetta, who makes a guest appearance in the music video. It went in at number 2 in the US and Canadian charts - behind Boom Boom Pow, another of their songs. It was a lot slower in the UK, but it eventually reached the top spot. The song has since been nominated for Record of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals at the 52nd Grammy Awards.

vs.

Use Somebody by Kings of Leon (13)

This single was the second from Kings of Leon's fourth studio album. It was released in December 2008, and has achieved great chart success across the globe. It was the group's mainstream breakthrough single in the US, reaching number 4. It received mainly positive reviews from critics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPLQlaHIotE

Voting ends Tuesday 20th January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

I intended to move this on this morning, but work decided otherwise. Anyway, I am doing so now.

Kings of Leon advance to the last 4 with a 3-0 win.

Time for the third tie of the 2nd Round.

Round 2, Tie 2

Poker Face by Lady Gaga (1)

This was the UK's biggest selling single of 2009, shifting over 850,000 copies, with a lot more success through downloads. After a quiet release in late 2008, it went to number 1 in March 2009. It is another electropop song from the weird/riskee (delete as you view it) American. The main idea behind the song is bisexuality and was a tribute by Gaga to her rock 'n' roll boyfriends.

vs.

Sexy Chick by David Guetta feat. Akon (12)

The proper name of the song is actually Sexy Bitch. This was the second single from Guetta's fourth studio album. The song has been a surprise hit, and has reached the number one spot on nine different charts so far. It entered the charts at number 16 during August, and then moved upto number 1 a week later.

Voting ends Friday 22nd January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived