DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heroes of the Horn: Where are they now?

lt.nolan0347

Alright, I've been toying with these theories in the back of my head for a while, and it was only until I re-read ACoS that I really started looking for it. While I am aware that these are just off the wall and crazy theories, these Heroes have to be in the world somewhere, especially with TG looming on the horizon. I think RJ has been hinting at a few, and I want to see what everyone else thinks. Maybe I'm right, or maybe I'm just nuts.

I went ahead and listed all of the heroes that I could find. I might have missed one or two, but...

There's not much information on a lot of them. In fact, the only one I'm really sure about is Gaidal Cain. Everyone else, well, maybe someone else has some ideas.

Amaresu --- She carries the Sword of the Sun, and I'm not quite sure I can place a character with her yet. I really can't even think of any women carrying a sword in WoT...

Birgitte --- (Duh)

Gaidal Cain --- is Olver! Gaidal Cain is described as having a wide, flat face, with a squashed nose and wide mouth. Olver is described as ugly, with a flat nose and wide mouth. Besides, why else would RJ put so much emphasis on the boy? Not to mention, Birgitte tells Olver how to open the Tower of Ghenjei (not sure how that fits into him being Gaidal, but I thought it was interesting)

Artur Hawkwing --- I have a few, albeit crazy, theories for this one. For some reason I keep thinking about Galad. I don't have anything to back this up on, but it just seems to fit, though Gawyn could be a possibility as well...

Blaes of Matuchin --- No clue. Can't find any good references...

Buad of Albhain --- Again, no clue.

Calian the Chooser --- sister to Shivan the Hunter, no other real good descriptions, so again, no clues yet.

Mikel of the Pure Heart --- This may be Galad as well. There isn't a physical description to reference, but, we'll see.

Paedrig the peacemaker --- Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I have a suspicion this one has been referenced as well...

Rogosh Eagle-eye, Rogosh of Talmour --- Described as fatherly looking with white hair and sharp eyes. I keep thinking Elyas, but we'll see...

Shivan the Hunter --- brother to Calian the Chooser. No clue...

Alright, I've been toying with these theories in the back of my head for a while, and it was only until I re-read ACoS that I really started looking for it. While I am aware that these are just off the wall and crazy theories, these Heroes have to be in the world somewhere,

That's what the Horn of Valere is for.

Gaidal Cain --- is Olver!

No he's not. Confirmed by RJ. Olver was alive years before Cain was spun out.

As for the rest, if you saw the Heroes at Falme they can't be any character we already know at that time.

The Heroes wait in Tel'Aran'Rhiod waiting to be spun out, as I'm sure you know.

E.G. Galad is in his (I think) late twenties, and we meet him first in book 1, the Horn calls Hawkwing to Falme in book 2, so it's impossible for Galad to be Hawkwing.

Apply that to any and all other of you theories.

:)

Time runs differently in tel'aran'rhiod, but it doesn't run backwards. That is, we saw Gaidal in the dream world during the series, in which about two years has passed. Olver is older than that, I believe ten, but yeah. Gaidal was still interacting in tel'aran'rhiod after Olver was born. Any hero we saw at Falme can't be older than two, assuming they were spun out IMMEDIATELY after, or if they were ripped out like Birgitte.

Gaidal Cain, he is either in some woman's womb or is an infant.

Besides Birgitte, the other Heroes are likely still in Telaranrhiod.

Unless the rest are ripped out (of Telaranrhiod) like Birgitte, the only other way for them to be useful at Tarmon Gaidon would be if the Horn summons them.

If spun out like Gaidal, it would be years until they could be any use.

I believe most of the Heroes are still in T'A'R'.

The Horn is prophesied to be used in the Last Battle. cancel that. It only said it would be found before the LB, but I still hod to everything.

"In the last, lorn fight

'gainst the fall of long night,

the mountains stand guard,

and the dead shall be ward,

for the grave is no bar to my call."

I think that is it's little inscribed poem thing.

The Heroes will be there to be called.

Maybe Gaidal broke the precepts or he had to be spun out to help after the LB.

It's been suggested that Rand and Elayne's twins are the brother and sister (Calian and Shivan) who are usually the heralds of the end of an Age.

that could be a good theory. but then i have to ask, what does "herold the end of an age" actually mean?

are they supposed to just run around screaming "The end is near" or actually do some stuff to cause the shift from one age to another?

or something trivial that will only be recognised afterwards? like theyre births once they are recognised as the heroes.

the reason i ask is cause of time. Tarmon Gaidon will begin very soon. and depending on their roles will then decide if the age ends right after the Battle or some years in the future.

I wonder if there'll be new heroes we didn't see the first time, the next time the horn is blown.

For instance Ingtar could make a nice hero of the horn, or someone-but I can't say who because it'd be a spoiler for the 12th book  :( -

I would have liked if Janduin of Tigraine were heroes of the horn, but they did not appear the first time so obviousl they aren't.

Well, here's the thing. While it's supposed to be at the LB, there's no mention in the prophecies it's supposed to be used for the battle. Unless I missed something. I skimmed the Karaethon Cycle twice just to make sure...

It would just stand to reason that if these heroes are to be present at the LB, they would have already been spat out by the pattern. Especially with the LB looming (my guess less than 6 months time, though I could be wrong)

I only recently began rereading the series, and I haven't read all the little juicy tidbits and hints that RJ left behind, so I will admit that there is a good chance my logic is flawed.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine why these heroes have not yet been reborn, grown and ready to fight alongside Rand...

I pretty much agree.

But I believe only a few have been born (Gaidal) or ripped out (Birgitte), and the rest are waiting for Mat to blow the Horn.

Or, when he blows it, he'll get like two people...that would be hilarious. :P

Ha. That's really fun to picture.

Mat: Wait. Where's the rest of you?

Hero: This is what you get, kid. Looks like you're screwed.

Now, I know it says "The grave is no bar to my call" or something like that. But does that only specifically mean that they can't be reborn to be called? As far as I can tell, it sounds more like "If you blow it, they will come" than "If you blow it, only the icky-still-dead-ones come."

that could be a good theory. but then i have to ask, what does "herold the end of an age" actually mean?

are they supposed to just run around screaming "The end is near" or actually do some stuff to cause the shift from one age to another?

or something trivial that will only be recognised afterwards? like theyre births once they are recognised as the heroes.

the reason i ask is cause of time. Tarmon Gaidon will begin very soon. and depending on their roles will then decide if the age ends right after the Battle or some years in the future.

For most Ages there would have to be a transition period. It wouldn't be like Thursday was the 3rd Age and Friday became the 4th Age, rather, there would be a period of time (weeks, months, years, or more depending on the circumstances) for the Age to transition. A good example would be the Breaking, it didn't happen overnight, rather, the world was destroyed over years until the male channelers were dealt with. I would consider the Breaking to be a transition period, and a lot happened during it, both destruction of nearly everything, but also creation, including the Ways.

Therefore, if Rand and Elayne's twins are the Heralds of a New Age (which I hope they are, at least Elayne could be considered semi-useful :P), then likely they would help out with the Age Transition period. The timeline assists this idea: of course the twins cannot help in the Last Battle because it is happening soon! But they are already being born with influence (Andoran and possibly Cairhienin royalty status), which will likely give them much authority during the Transition.

Likely, the Randland populace won't know that the twins' births signal the new Age until they have either accomplished many deeds, or even later after their deaths if it actually becomes acknowledged at all. After all, just because they are born and herald a new Age, it doesn't mean that anyone has to know the twins' births signified anything. Except for us readers and Randland scholars, of course ;).

Unfornutately, I doubt we'll get to see this play out, unless the last book deals with post-LB plots...

Archived