DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow

TheBeerPatriot

This series went out of print for awhile, and is just now being reprinted in the US.  It's comprised of five (planned) story arcs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_Light_and_Shadow), with the fourth story arc being released next.

I tried the first two books in the series, Curse of the Mistwraith and Ships of Merior.  While I appreciate how much work that Wurts has put into developing the landscape and the backhistory of the series, I simply could not get into the story.  I think part of the problem is that the main concept (brothers cursed with enmity for the other) eventually runs out of room and further development as the series goes on.  I think the Elaira character was interesting, but could not find any of the other characters compelling.

I was wondering if anyone else on here had come across this series, and what they thought of it.  It's certainly an ambitious series, but one that simply hasn't caught my interest.  Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Wurts is a bad over-writer. She doesn't use one word when seventeen would do instead, and her prose is a bit like wading through treacle. When she's writing more concisely, such as with her one-off book THE MASTER OF WHITESTORM, which is very good, she's a lot better. Her EMPIRE TRILOGY co-written with Raymond E. Feist is also excellent.

THE WARS OF LIGHT AND SHADOW has certainly proven too much for a lot of readers. Her first American publishers dropped the series due to low sales and her second publishers went bust, leaving the books only being published in the UK, where they are a decent sellers but nothing exceptional. Interesting to see if another US publisher tries picking the series up and giving it another shot.

Archived