DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Hand and Golden Eyes...

CowboyNinjaD

I can't be the first person to notice this, but I think it's interesting that the two parts of Rand's body that were seriously injured in Semirhage's attack were body parts that are also associated with his two best friends and fellow taveren.

I think the symbolic meaning is that Rand will, in a way, be made whole again when Mat and Perrin rejoin him, presumably before the last battle.

And I think it would be cool if the names actually foreshadowed Rand's method of dealing with the disabilities, by channeling the power to his eyes to correct his vision and even create a flaming left hand, similar to the flaming sword he channeled in the earlier books.

I don't know, the idea of Rand running around with glowing eyes and a hand made out of fire just seems really awesome to me.

Sorry if there's already a thread about this. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Interesting connection! I've never noticed that before, although I'm not sure that the Red Hand and Golden Eyes signify how he will deal with his problems, although you could be right. Red Hand to me seems like a bloody hand, similar to Min's Vision. Also, Golden Eyes seems to me like something dazzling or sparkling is messing with eyesight...

Thanks for replying to my PM, mb, but I think the spoiler you were referencing deals more with perception than a physical handicap.

My point was getting at the fact that we've never received a good explanation for why Mat and Perrin are in this story at all. They've obviously played a big part, but why did the Pattern put them with Rand? They're more than just sidekicks, being taveren in their own right.

What makes them different from all the other people who serve Rand, whether they know it or not? Where did they come from? Are they former Companions, who served Lews Therin in a past life? Are they heroes who would normally be connected to the Horn? Are they somehow part of Lews Therin?

Maybe the Pattern just knew Rand wouldn't be able to do it alone and gave him two random people to help him out. And if that's the case, the Pattern seemingly gave Rand friends who would become associated with body parts to which he would receive serious injuries.

I'm not exactly sure what, but I think there's going to be a big revelation about the nature of Rand, Mat and Perrin's relationship in at least one of the next two books.

There are two prophecies about Mat and Perrin.

One about both of them; the other about just Mat.

From Crossroads of Twilight Chapter 28::

Fortune rides like the sun on high

with the fox that makes the ravens fly.

Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,

He snatches the moons from out of the sky.

That is the one about just Mat.

From Knife of Dreams Chapter 4::

When the Wolf King carries the hammer, thus are the final days known. When the fox marries the raven, and the trumpets of battle are blown.

That is the one about both of them.

Fox refers to Mat.  Wolf refers to Perrin.

If you are wondering, ravens/raven refer to Seanchan/Daughter-of-the-Nine-Moons.

Perrin's role, I take to be leading the wolves in the Last Battle (maybe also the wolfbrothers/wolfsisters).

Mat's role, maybe leading the Seanchan in the Last Battle.

I recall the prophecies, but I still don't think they actually address Mat and Perrin's roles in the Last Battle, just that there presence will precede it. And we already knew that it was coming by the fact that the Dragon Reborn is running around.

I do think the imagery of Mat and Perrin as a fox and a wolf is noteworthy, given the different reactions of dogs and cats to male and female channelers. I can't remember where, but one book explains that dogs are attracted to men who can channel and bark and growl at women who can channel, while cats have the opposite reaction, which is why cats are always hanging around Aes Saidi. And if you'll notice, the warders are always described as lions or pumas or some kind of jungle cat. So it's no wonder that Elyas didn't exactly fit into the whole warder thing.

I guess that's a little off my original topic, but I think it's interesting.

I'm not exactly sure what, but I think there's going to be a big revelation about the nature of Rand, Mat and Perrin's relationship in at least one of the next two books.

Yes! Rand should feel something next time the three are together. Like he can feel the connection between him and the others. And do something with it. Like create a void in the Pattern and trap the Dark One in it

Perrin, there is a role for him before Tarmon Gaidon: saving Rand a second time.

Mat, his 'short term' role might be to rescue Moiraine with Thom and a third; Moiraine might resume her role of advising Rand sometime after the rescue.

I completely agree with RJ thinking everything out to the smallest of the smallest details. But still, doesn't it give you shivers just how everything starts to come full circle? Someday RJ will be thought of as equivalent to Dickens or Duma in his own right. The man was a TRUE GENIUS!

Perrin, there is a role for him before Tarmon Gaidon: saving Rand a second time.

Mat, his 'short term' role might be to rescue Moiraine with Thom and a third; Moiraine might resume her role of advising Rand sometime after the rescue.

Yeah, but that stuff could be done by anyone. Pulling Rand's butt out of the fire or rescuing Moiraine don't necessarily require a taveren.

But think about this: The Dragon Reborn is supposed to bind the Daughter of the Nine Moons to him somehow. But if Rand, Mat and Perrin are connected in some yet-to-be-revealed way, then maybe Tuon is already bonded to Rand through Mat. Maybe Rand, by himself, isn't truly the Dragon Reborn, or at least not the Dragon Reborn the way he's supposed to be. Or maybe he truly is the Dragon Reborn but not having a "Mat" and "Perrin" is why the original Dragon, Lews Therrin, failed. So maybe the Pattern has given the Dragon, not sidekicks, but people who are actually extensions of himself.

I'm not saying any of this a necessarily right, but there's got to more going on between the three of them than what we've been told so far.

Yeah, but that stuff could be done by anyone. Pulling Rand's butt out of the fire or rescuing Moiraine don't necessarily require a taveren.

One of Min's Viewings told that Rand would need Perrin around him 2 times.  The first time was Dumai's Wells.

Moiraine's letter told that Mat was needed in order for the rescue to succeed.

But think about this: The Dragon Reborn is supposed to bind the Daughter of the Nine Moons to him somehow. But if Rand, Mat and Perrin are connected in some yet-to-be-revealed way, then maybe Tuon is already bonded to Rand through Mat. Maybe Rand, by himself, isn't truly the Dragon Reborn, or at least not the Dragon Reborn the way he's supposed to be. Or maybe he truly is the Dragon Reborn but not having a "Mat" and "Perrin" is why the original Dragon, Lews Therrin, failed. So maybe the Pattern has given the Dragon, not sidekicks, but people who are actually extensions of himself.

Not sure about the extension part, but I agree that Tuon might become bond through Mat.

Not sure if it would have made any difference if Lews Therin had a "Mat" or a "Perrin"; the failure might been due to a different reason.

There is a Gathering Storm spoiler about this.  Content from that book is only allowed in the two sections with that name.

posted the spoiler here::

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,52606.msg1432923.html#msg1432923

Archived