DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A First Time Reader's Journey.

TruorTupnm

Your Reaction To First Time Readers?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Your Reaction To First Time Readers?

• Ah, to be a The Wheel Of Time virgin again!
    • Dude, just stop reading. It gets horrible.
    • Oo! An opportunity to laugh, when he totally gets blindsided by something!
    • Get out. We only like people who were born with the trivia, apparently.
    • Some combination or something else. This is included only to comply with the unwritten rules on poll-type thingies.

Towards ta'verenness, luck, and me continuing to make fun of the Forsaken  ::) ---> On the other paw, since Rand can easily as well as improbably beat the most powerful of these Forsaken people every two seconds, colossal amounts of luck must be the only way for that to make any sense.  Since Mat is not as important but still a ta'veren, he gets a bunch of dice-rolling luck.  Without luck being the primary reason for winning, the Forsaken types must be terribly inept to be beaten so easily, is all I'm saying.  Especially that Ishamael dude.  He was only sort of trapped and was able to do some things while everyone else was apparently frozen?  He gets all of that extra experience with messing with people and still loses pathetically.  ::) I apologize to any fans of his, of course.  Set me straight.  Maybe something that I read will eventually do so.  ::)

The reason Rand beats the Forsaken so far, is because he somehow "knows" what do do, w/out knowing what to do. ?  Make sense?  Of course not...It's not really a spoiler when I say this but, has any of Lews Therin's whispers in Rand's head come up yet?  That's what I see as the explination to Rand beating them 1v1.  Lews is giving him tips inside his head on how to counter things, and how to do things.

(Still doesn't explain why he can't use Callandor or the super powerful one and just BLAST THEM)

Towards Rand's parentage ---> Yes, at least some stuff was recently revealed to me about that.  I wasn't particularly interested in main character lineages and prophecies inevitably being fulfilled.  That's the big and important stuff that gets dramatic reveals and long summaries in later books.  Or at least the last one.  I might idly wonder about such things, but I am more interested in the little things.  Is there some big mystery that I should start trying to solve with what clues I have?  Always fun.

Do you want me to tell you.  They've already given you all the hints.  I will give you another, it has to do w/the time he fell into Elayne's Palace garden.

Towards constant skirmishes of the sexes ---> Eh.  It is a little annoying but no large deal, to myself.  As was mentioned, it's just a style point.  And while the females probably point out that men and women are different more often, the males are preoccupied with the same, ofttimes.  It's just that there are more male main characters than female, so they have more main character class concerns to worry about. 

it's annoying, but not enough to take away from the book so....

Anyways, I finished the fourth book and am still waiting on more to show up at the library.  Towards what Forsaken types ---> Lanfear ---> Being crazy.  She seems pointless, to myself, at the moment.  Got it.  It's setting up that she is important.  I can't take her seriously until she starts doing something, although, yes, she does seem plenty evil and terrifying.  It was mentioned that she went to Shai'tan's place before she was Lanfear, but what occurred is a mystery.  What I am supposed to assume is what?  That she wasn't so evil, but he caught her and gave her a personality transplant, so that I can be sympathetic?  I hope not.  That totally wouldn't work.

ya i felt like they were trying to get you to sympethize with lanfear for awhile, for a possible RAND + LANFEAR love fest.  But a couple things happen in book5, which basically takes that out of the equation.

Speaking of book 5, DAMN you read fast!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Towards ta'verenness, luck, and me continuing to make fun of the Forsaken  ::) ---> On the other paw, since Rand can easily as well as improbably beat the most powerful of these Forsaken people every two seconds, colossal amounts of luck must be the only way for that to make any sense.  Since Mat is not as important but still a ta'veren, he gets a bunch of dice-rolling luck.  Without luck being the primary reason for winning, the Forsaken types must be terribly inept to be beaten so easily, is all I'm saying.  Especially that Ishamael dude.  He was only sort of trapped and was able to do some things while everyone else was apparently frozen?  He gets all of that extra experience with messing with people and still loses pathetically.  ::) I apologize to any fans of his, of course.  Set me straight.  Maybe something that I read will eventually do so.  ::)

The reason Rand beats the Forsaken so far, is because he somehow "knows" what do do, w/out knowing what to do. ?  Make sense?  Of course not...It's not really a spoiler when I say this but, has any of Lews Therin's whispers in Rand's head come up yet?  That's what I see as the explination to Rand beating them 1v1.  Lews is giving him tips inside his head on how to counter things, and how to do things.
LTT first made himself known in book 4. Prior to that, it was all Rand's doing.

LTT first made himself known in book 4. Prior to that, it was all Rand's doing.

I don't agree.  Making himself known and/or Rand realizing he's there...does not mean it was JUST Rand before that.  Think back to him chasing down Ishamael in the Stone.  He set all kinds of traps and Rand just kind of "knew" how to counter each one as soon as it sprang.  You could argue that because he held Callendor it was easy for him to just want something done, and have it be so..but you can't discount the fact that LTT was still sitting in his head.  Maybe doing nothing, but maybe giving quick little hints.

I missed the Dark Knight reference...I'm going, huh?
Ishamael was the strongest of the Chosen, a nihilist and true believer in Shai'tan's cause. He serves not for want of eternal life or power, but simply to see the world burn. He tried to kill Rand, but Rand got Callandor and was too strong for him. So while he ran, he also continued leaving traps to kill Rand.
Alfred: Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Now THAT was subtle.

Alfred: Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Who's Alfred?  Death Gate Cycle? =)  (Awesome fantasy book btw, one of my favs...if u havent read it)

Who's Alfred?  Death Gate Cycle? =)  (Awesome fantasy book btw, one of my favs...if u havent read it)

Batman's butler.

Haven't heard of the book; different Alfred, I'm assuming.

TruorTupnm

one thing you are going to notice and its probably starting to become apparent now, is that many things in the series is open to interpretation, there is a part of book 5 i think,  that everyone has been arguing about since the creation of the world (at least it feels like it  :D) i wont say more on that particular part but it shouldn't take long to figure out.

just read, enjoy and remember the most insignificant comment can have huge consequences later on.

very soon you will be arguing with the rest of us :D

oh and for the record i believe Mats luck is his Tav'eren nature as his luck isn't tied to just gambling.

i dont really understand how anyone could think it was the dagger, if anything the evil of the dagger could have damed up mats luck... maybe...  and thats why it exploded after he was healed but i suspect it was more the pattern giving mat what he needed and he needed a lot of coin to do what he needed to do.

the pattern provides taverens with what they need before they need it..

Hehe. Fair enough.

Mat was already lucky before he became Ta'veren, he notes this. He doesnt deem it necessary to note how unusual that luck is until afetr he comes into contact with the dagger, which tells us his luck was regular lucky, as opposed to abnormal, supernatural luck. After the dagger, he started noting his luck, and we, as readers, begin to see a pattern in his luck. Things that have random outcomes come out benefitting Mat. Not just dice games, and definitely not just his own actions.

Mats luck might have been brought about by his Ta'veren, as in, circumstances steered him towards finding the dagger, which would change him. The luck isnt provided by him being Ta'veren itself.

When people say "Hawkwing was lucky" they do not see the difference between Ta'veren altering chance-which can be said to be lucky, but it is not luck, it is probability going out of its way to be different.

"The luck his soul, the lightning his eye..." means nothing on this either, because none of that points to Mat at the beginning. We are 11 books into the series without anything happening to Mats eye. It may mean he was meant to become lucky, but who knows?

Mats luck is not down to him being Ta'veren; he had some measure of it before he became Ta'veren, and that luck grows stronger. We have no reason to think Ta'verenism grows in strength

Towards this Lews Therin personality making itself known ---> So far, that has only happened once, as far as I can remember, and it wasn't a large deal.  It was mostly a, "Do what?  Oookay.  Past lives are annoyingly possessing my body just to call attention to themselves.  I won't worry about it, because I am an idiotic protagonist who just lets things happen to him." moment for Rand.  Crazy past lives!  It is the new personality's turn!  I figure that this Lews Therin dude will be the only one to make his presence known, but I would be unopposed to him only showing up that one time because Lanfear was about, and having other past lives pop in when appropriate.  I doubt it, though. 

Towards Rand's parentage ---> I don't remember anything especially important from the time when he fell into a garden and met Elayne and Gawyn.  They noticed that he was part Aielish, of course, and that has been brought up plenty of other times.  In that The Shadow Rising book, I learned a bit more, but plenty of reveals are to come.  Who the kid his mother abandoned was, and who that kid's father was, but I didn't see any hints about them.  Well, have I met either of those mysterious people before, or should I just sit back and wait for them to become important?

Towards that Lews Therin personality helping out ---> I don't see that he has.  If he had, I would think that something along the lines of, "Rand was in a scary fight.  He was blindly thrusting, as usual, until a sudden competence smacked him in the side of the head, or a voice irritably called, 'Do this, this, and this, you simpleton.  Ugh.  I was once untrained, too, but at least I understood caution.'" would have been written.  Sounds as if that personality will butt in more often.  Any accidental competence that Rand bumps into might be explained more by him having twenty-seven thousand past lives that have done things like this before than by one particular past life hovering over his shoulder. 

Towards Mat's luck ---> The primary theories on why it exists both make a bit of sense.  I am leaning towards the dagger mostly because it was actually tied to his luck in a theory set forth in one of these books.  Even though such theories are not necessarily correct, that just makes one theory hold a bit more weight than others, at least from what I've read so far.  ::)

Anyways, I finally got the fifth and sixth books in, but here is a bit more from me merely having read up to the fourth ---> What's with the medallion, spear, and Mat's new ability to understand some old language?  The book just gave those to him without even attempting to explain their importance, so I am sure that I will learn shortly, but it is a bit annoying.  They are stuff that he got from the genies in that second creepily magical doorway that he found.  He asked to have the holes in his memory repaired, a way to be unaffected by Aes Sedai or somesuch, and to get out of the creepily magical doorway.  Since when did Mat understand that language, before?  I call that craziness.  Seems as if they handed him knowledge that his past lives would have, but then, he always seems confused by the knowledge.  If all holes from all memories of all past lives were filled, shouldn't he be a really messed up conglomeration of personalities?  oh well.  And I'll find out what the medallion and spear are about, later.

Towards Padan Fain ---> Grow some focus, dude.  First, he is a somehow-enhanced version of a Darkfriend who is obsessed with finding the three Two Rivers dudes.  Second, he becomes something even more unique via the dagger from Shadar Logoth, and, for some crazy reason, becomes obsessed with obtaining the Horn Of Valere and running away with it to some unspecified goal.  Third, he attaches himself to some Children that think themselves to be Of Light and ends up attaching himself to some Seanchan dudes, later.  I thought that he was eager to check out where they came from and obtain the ear of their leader, but the next time I read of him, he is still attached to Children laughably Of Light and interested in Perrin, for little good reason.  The fact that he has conflicting compulsions make him annoyingly random.  Poor guy.  I love weaselly guys.

Towards that one Tinker dude that decided to abandon the Way Of The Leaf and randomly abandon most thoughts and attach himself to Perrin ---> He was mentioned in some prophecies, but he doesn't seem very important.  I suppose that he and Perrin could show up and become useful in larger ways, backing up the Dragon Reborn and becoming instrumental enough to be included in prophecies.  More to come in later books.  Okay.

Towards Rand's parentage ---> I don't remember anything especially important from the time when he fell into a garden and met Elayne and Gawyn.  They noticed that he was part Aielish, of course, and that has been brought up plenty of other times.  In that The Shadow Rising book, I learned a bit more, but plenty of reveals are to come.  Who the kid his mother abandoned was, and who that kid's father was, but I didn't see any hints about them.  Well, have I met either of those mysterious people before, or should I just sit back and wait for them to become important?

Oh ya, i forgot about that other child.  I'm not very far ahead of you anyways, but nothing so far on what's up w/that.  Also, since it's not a deal breaker.  When he fell they mentioned he looked almost exactly like the previous "heir".  Remember Gawyn and Elayne are full brother sister, but Galad only has the same father.  They've never came out and said it yet, but it's assumed...and says so in many info sections about Rand.

Such as: Rand was raised by Tam al'Thor and his wife Kari, but his real parents were Janduin, chief of the Taardad Aiel who led the four clans across the Dragonwall to kill King Laman, and Shaiel, a Maiden of the Spear who actually grew up on the wet side of the Spine of the World as well. Note: when Rand passed through Caemlyn, several people commented that he bore a striking resemblance to Tigraine, the former Daughter-Heir of Andor who disappeared years ago. Since Shaiel never gave her name, it is probably safe to assume that Tigraine is Rand's mother, and thus Rand and Galad are half-brothers.

Towards that Lews Therin personality helping out ---> I don't see that he has.  If he had, I would think that something along the lines of, "Rand was in a scary fight.  He was blindly thrusting, as usual, until a sudden competence smacked him in the side of the head, or a voice irritably called, 'Do this, this, and this, you simpleton.  Ugh.  I was once untrained, too, but at least I understood caution.'" would have been written.  Sounds as if that personality will butt in more often.  Any accidental competence that Rand bumps into might be explained more by him having twenty-seven thousand past lives that have done things like this before than by one particular past life hovering over his shoulder. 

I think once you read the next book or 2 you might agree.  Again not a spoiler, but my reasoning is sometimes he says Names or Personality attributes that Lews never told him about, he just KNEW.  But he also KNEW they were from Lews' memory, or thoughts..etc

You find out very soon about matt's new toys and ability. 

Rand thru the entire series comes up with weavings of the power that he has never been taught.  Especially when first learning, it simply does not work that way.  Look at the shadowspawn killing lighting cloud thing he made in the stone of tear.  Moiraine says something to the effect of "not believing such a thing was even possible", and this weave came from someone who knows next to nothing about channeling, is self taught, and cannot even channel every time he tries/wishes to.  There are dozons of times thru the books that he will do something, and comment to himself that he doesnt know where the knowledge came from.  As it is said, this will all be come more and more evident.

Regarding Mat speaking the Old Tongue, he was able to do that when he yelled that Manetheran battle cry as the Trollocs blocked their way to Shadar Logoth.  I do not have the book with me but i believe the battle cry was identified as the personal battle cry of the last Manetheran King, Aemon.  So Mat is directly his decendant since Moiraine explained it as the old blood being very strong.

There really was no need to comment on his parentage, it's revealed pretty explicitly in book six. And it's more of a "hey, neat" thing, his parentage itself isn't of huge importance. At least not yet, but there's not really any hints that it is.

Well if you look at the character info for BOOK 5.  It says it was "assumed".  Maybe the end of book6 actually explains it, but I am not there yet.  I just thought it was a cool coincidence. In book 4 you were given all the clues nessesary to put it together, so it's not any kind of spoiler.

Another thing

Towards this Lews Therin personality making itself known ---> So far, that has only happened once, as far as I can remember, and it wasn't a large deal.  It was mostly a, "Do what?  Oookay.  Past lives are annoyingly possessing my body just to call attention to themselves.  I won't worry about it, because I am an idiotic protagonist who just lets things happen to him." moment for Rand.  Crazy past lives!  It is the new personality's turn!  I figure that this Lews Therin dude will be the only one to make his presence known, but I would be unopposed to him only showing up that one time because Lanfear was about, and having other past lives pop in when appropriate.  I doubt it, though.

It is my understanding he is the DRAGON REBORN.  Lews Therin Telamon was the "Dragon".  It was said it was Ishamael's theorizing that said the fight has been fought over and over in the wheel.(It was Ishamael talking with LTT in the prologue of book1, and Ishamael telling Rand in his dream that he has fought him for ages past..But the names Ishamael says are all the FALSE Dragons...)  Someone correct me if i'm wrong.  But at this point, I don't think they have said he was the reincarnation of anyone other then LTT.  SO having a buncha past lives in his head isn't, currently, the case...just LTT's past.  I don't think they have even named anyone else that could be another 'past life'.  To my understanding.

Towards this Lews Therin personality making itself known ---> So far, that has only happened once, as far as I can remember, and it wasn't a large deal. It was mostly a, "Do what? Oookay. Past lives are annoyingly possessing my body just to call attention to themselves. I won't worry about it, because I am an idiotic protagonist who just lets things happen to him." moment for Rand. Crazy past lives! It is the new personality's turn! I figure that this Lews Therin dude will be the only one to make his presence known, but I would be unopposed to him only showing up that one time because Lanfear was about, and having other past lives pop in when appropriate. I doubt it, though.
Well, there's not much he can do about it. If he spent a lot of time worrying about it, it would just make for rather dull reading. 

Towards that Lews Therin personality helping out ---> I don't see that he has.
He wove the lightningt that killed the Trollocs in the Stone. I would call that helpful.
If he had, I would think that something along the lines of, "Rand was in a scary fight.  He was blindly thrusting, as usual, until a sudden competence smacked him in the side of the head, or a voice irritably called, 'Do this, this, and this, you simpleton. Ugh. I was once untrained, too, but at least I understood caution.'" would have been written.
Because you need things to be made blindingly obvious?
Any accidental competence that Rand bumps into might be explained more by him having twenty-seven thousand past lives that have done things like this before than by one particular past life hovering over his shoulder.
Not really, as everyone has thousands of past lives. They don't have memories, voices or competence from those past lives leaking through though, and in Rand the first instance of that is in TSR.

Anyways, I finally got the fifth and sixth books in, but here is a bit more from me merely having read up to the fourth ---> What's with the medallion, spear, and Mat's new ability to understand some old language?
Mat already had some of the Old Tongue, but his fluency has increased due to the memories he has. He asked for the holes in his head to be filled, and they were. Just not with his memories. He asked for something to free him from As and the OP, and he got the medallion - OP flows dissolve on contact. The spear, as far as we have seen, is just a free gift.
Seems as if they handed him knowledge that his past lives would have, but then, he always seems confused by the knowledge.
He was given the memories of people who had been through the door before him. Nothing to do with past lives.

Towards Padan Fain ---> Grow some focus, dude. First, he is a somehow-enhanced version of a Darkfriend who is obsessed with finding the three Two Rivers dudes. Second, he becomes something even more unique via the dagger from Shadar Logoth, and, for some crazy reason, becomes obsessed with obtaining the Horn Of Valere and running away with it to some unspecified goal.
He took the Horn of Valere to Toman Head to lure Rand there. It was a trap. Rand was supposed to follow through the Ways and Fain would have the Seanchan waiting. Instead, MS intervened, and Rand ended up being months behind, rather than just hours or days.
Third, he attaches himself to some Children that think themselves to be Of Light and ends up attaching himself to some Seanchan dudes, later.
The Seanchan were book 2, the Whitecloaks book 3. He went to the Children after the Seanchan invasion has been repelled at Falme.
I thought that he was eager to check out where they came from and obtain the ear of their leader, but the next time I read of him, he is still attached to Children laughably Of Light and interested in Perrin, for little good reason.
He wasn't particularly interested in Perrin. He took the WC to the TR to cause lots of carnage and devastation, in order to bring Rand back. Instaed, he got Perrin. He also got a bunch of Trollocs, as Slayer, who was sent to kill Fain, decided he needed back up and brought in a small army. His goal remains the same throughout - kill Rand. That, over and above all else, is what drives him. Other people he corrupts along the way are tools, weapons, that he might use to achive that goal.

Rand thru the entire series comes up with weavings of the power that he has never been taught. Especially when first learning, it simply does not work that way. Look at the shadowspawn killing lighting cloud thing he made in the stone of tear. Moiraine says something to the effect of "not believing such a thing was even possible", and this weave came from someone who knows next to nothing about channeling, is self taught, and cannot even channel every time he tries/wishes to. There are dozons of times thru the books that he will do something, and comment to himself that he doesnt know where the knowledge came from. As it is said, this will all be come more and more evident.
That incident in the Stone is generally regarded as the first instance of LTT showing up.

Lemme give you another TIP. Don't even look at the NAME of other threads on these forums. I wish people wouldn't put spoiler information in their thread SUBJECT. =/
The forum works on the assumption that its readers have read up to book 11. Most of them have, or are just not that bothered about spoilers. There is a structured subforum, with threads for each book (and requests for no information from later books).

It is my understanding he is the DRAGON REBORN.  Lews Therin Telamon was the "Dragon".  It was said it was Ishamael's theorizing that said the fight has been fought over and over in the wheel.(It was Ishamael talking with LTT in the prologue of book1, and Ishamael telling Rand in his dream that he has fought him for ages past..But the names Ishamael says are all the FALSE Dragons...)  Someone correct me if i'm wrong.  But at this point, I don't think they have said he was the reincarnation of anyone other then LTT.  SO having a buncha past lives in his head isn't, currently, the case...just LTT's past.  I don't think they have even named anyone else that could be another 'past life'.  To my understanding.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

While we can't say anything definite, the Ages referred to as the Age of Legends and the Third Age have happened before. Not EXACTLY the same way, but many of the major things remain constant and are very slow changing as the Wheel turns. It's very probable that the Dragon has appeared in past tellings of these Ages all the way back to Creation, and maybe in other Ages as well, and it's all been the same soul.

With regards to Ishamael, he likely named the false Dragons to speak of his influence with them, and also because no memory of a past Dragon was really remembered in his time, so Lews Therin was the only one he really knew for sure of before Rand. The seventh book hints at one existing before the Age of Legends, though. Long forgotten except as nothing more than a playing piece in a game that no one knows the meaning of.

Towards the evilly usurping Lews Therin ---> From all of you people typing about him, I am figuring that, although we never get explicit explanations for every little thing, it is fairly obvious that Rand is actually pathetic and lucky, and most of the skills come from this Lews Therin character somehow possessing him.  Got it.  I just like to argue about things that aren't definitely nailed down.  ::) I'll probably see how obvious it is, once I'm done.

Towards Galad being Rand's half brother ---> I am about halfway through this fifth book, and that has been revealed, but you type that it isn't going to be an especially large deal?  Huh.  Secrets like that usually are.  But oh well.  Galad, beyond the creepily as well as mysteriously inserted compulsion to be good, is not that interesting.

Towards Mat's messed up brain ---> Sure, he randomly employed the Old Tongue before, but he's employing it all over the place, now, in addition to remembering things from past lives (I assumed that that's what they were, since I don't remember reading anything saying that he got the memories of everyone who ever went into that particular genie gate.  What did I miss, there, or is that information clarified later?).  I suppose that I should merely figure that the genies were silly in believing that wanting holes in his memory fixed also meant wanting to know everything that past lives knew, too.  But I would think that if he got all of the experiences of those lives, he would have suddenly become a lot smarter and wiser.  Same for when he and a bunch of others employed a portal stone, and they got to see a bunch of parallel universe versions of their lives.  All of them should have learned plenty, but the knowledge seems to have been barely employed.  I would think that the blood of Manetheran running strongly in him would actually help him out with not being confused by the sudden rush of information, but oh well.  ::)

Towards looking at names of threads here ---> Heh.  I am not poking around.  I come to this thread when I have stuff to report.  I shall read a bunch here, when I'm done with the books, but being spoiled a bit in here is not so large of a deal.  

Towards Rand worrying about some random personality possessing him ---> As a matter of course, I agree that any character worrying about something overly much could get boring.  I am a horrible person for making anyone think that I was wishing that Rand started bogging books down with stuff like that.  ::) To explain, I meant that I wished for Rand to be sensible enough to be worried about being possessed, even a little bit.  But then, he does seem plenty worried about going insane, so I figure that he just doesn't know what's going on and isn't worried about possessions, specifically.  Good enough.  He was wondering about a way to shield himself from the evil of the male segment of magic.  

Towards Padan Fain ---> Got it.  Yay for unpredictability, I suppose.  

Towards Moghedien ---> Come on, spidery lady.  Don't get obsessed with Nynaeve.  You're supposed to be the ultimate cool and calculating the perfect time to strike sort.  She didn't seem to have a goal until now, though, but she will probably be killed while focusing on Nynaeve, who isn't as grand a goal as others.  But oh well.  The cool and calculating sorts of bad guys are seldom the most important.

Towards the old Amyrlin Seat ---> I am still quite pleased by her defeat.  Yay for superly powerful as well as supposedly good types going down, especially when they're evil magic-users!  Now, she is a much cooler character.  I was surprised that she was offended easily, when she is supposed to have come from some random wharf, but I suppose that having Moiraine for a best friend and being stuck in that tower could have made her forget plenty.  And I am crazy surprised that the retreating Blue ladies are so insanely closed-minded about her usefulness.  Sure, plenty even find difficulties with being polite to regular people, but they usually have no problem with employing the useful ones.  oh well.

Towards the new Amyrlin Seat ---> I am hoping that she either turns out to not be so bad, or she just doesn't get very important, mostly because I have a bit of sympathy for the lady and don't want her to be just another bad guy to be disposed of.

I am wondering what'll be so great about Logain.  He is mostly in a malaise, unless it's an action scene.  Will he be all kinds of useful and gain all kinds of fame in a bunch of action scenes, only to become lethargic and die, once his usefulness is over.  Will he find something to become passionate about, like the stilled ladies, only to eventually even grow bored of that and die, as I figure they should eventually do, as well?  Will some form of reverse stillage occur?  I'll find out.

Also, Yay for Tallanvor!  Get that queen lady out of there!  Superly awesome Tallanvor, with his improbable ability to remain employed in a place where every other loyal soldier has been fired!  

Towards the evilly usurping Lews Therin ---> From all of you people typing about him, I am figuring that, although we never get explicit explanations for every little thing, it is fairly obvious that Rand is actually pathetic and lucky, and most of the skills come from this Lews Therin character somehow possessing him. Got it. I just like to argue about things that aren't definitely nailed down.  ::) I'll probably see how obvious it is, once I'm done.
Most of what Rand does throughout books 1-4 (including everything in 1-3) is Rand, not LTT. In book 5 he has a teacher, and therefore he has a lot more knowledge afterwards for what he does.

Towards Galad being Rand's half brother ---> I am about halfway through this fifth book, and that has been revealed, but you type that it isn't going to be an especially large deal? Huh. Secrets like that usually are. But oh well. Galad, beyond the creepily as well as mysteriously inserted compulsion to be good, is not that interesting.
So far their relationship has played no part. It might end up doing so in the future.

Towards Mat's messed up brain ---> Sure, he randomly employed the Old Tongue before, but he's employing it all over the place, now, in addition to remembering things from past lives (I assumed that that's what they were, since I don't remember reading anything saying that he got the memories of everyone who ever went into that particular genie gate.  What did I miss, there, or is that information clarified later?).
He has memories from various people alive at the same time. That's one thing you'll learn. Also, RJ said they were memories from people who had been to visit the Eelfinn.
I suppose that I should merely figure that the genies were silly in believing that wanting holes in his memory fixed also meant wanting to know everything that past lives knew, too.
He asked for the holes to be filled, but didn't specify with what.
Same for when he and a bunch of others employed a portal stone, and they got to see a bunch of parallel universe versions of their lives. All of them should have learned plenty, but the knowledge seems to have been barely employed.
You assume they would have remembered it all. When Moiraine went through the rings in Rhuidean, she forgot most of what she learnt.

To explain, I meant that I wished for Rand to be sensible enough to be worried about being possessed, even a little bit.
He's not possessed, so there's no reason why he should be. Instead, he worries about insanity, because he has been told he can go insane. If you started hearing voices and remembering things that never happened, do you think it more likely you are possessed or insane? Especially when warned you have a condition that means you probably will go nuts.

But I would think that if he got all of the experiences of those lives, he would have suddenly become a lot smarter and wiser.  Same for when he and a bunch of others employed a portal stone, and they got to see a bunch of parallel universe versions of their lives.  All of them should have learned plenty, but the knowledge seems to have been barely employed.

Aviendha and Birgitte already gave us some good insight into why this would not be the case, when Avi was telling Elayne (or was it narrative?) about how the Rhuidean journey to become a Wise One downloads a huge amounts of future that they end up only being able to remember fragments of gain a sense of what the future holds. Birgitte has a history of lives she's lived before, and is deathly afraid of the fact that she's slowly losing all those memories. Anyone going through the portal stones with "all their other possible lives" being shown to them has the similar problems.

As for Matt, he's got the memories of lives he never lived randomly mixed in with his own. It wouldn't even make sense for him to make full and easy use of them.

Towards the old Amyrlin Seat ---> I am still quite pleased by her defeat.  Yay for superly powerful as well as supposedly good types going down, especially when they're evil magic-users!  Now, she is a much cooler character.  I was surprised that she was offended easily, when she is supposed to have come from some random wharf, but I suppose that have Moiraine for a best friend and being stuck in that tower could have made her forget plenty.  And I am crazy surprised that the retreating Blue ladies are so insanely closed-minded about her usefulness.  Sure, plenty even find difficulties with being polite to regular people, but they usually have no problem with employing the useful ones.  oh well.

Towards the new Amyrlin Seat ---> I am hoping that she either turns out to not be so bad, or she just doesn't get very important, mostly because I have a bit of sympathy for the lady and don't want her to be just another bad guy to be disposed of.

Really? I cant believe you can say Yay to that. Siuan Sanche was awesome. I was so sad to see her go. She's not evil either, if that's something you were hinting at? Neither is Elaida, really, although she is of course very much a Red archetype, man-hating, conniving, and witchy. But not necessarily evil. That is one of the things I was bummed about happening to one of the characters, among others.

And yeah, I wonder what Min's viewing of Logain was about.

What's with Mat getting killed by lightning, when he had that superly awesome talisman?  Wasn't that supposed to prevent the One Power from working on him?  Craziness.

Edit. I humbly apologise for deleting your post, I accidently clicked the wrong button, and did not notice until it was too late. Should teach me to play here before I have had my morning coffee... /Maj

Archived