DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nominate Your Favourite Christmas Songs and Music!!!

Corki

December is upon us and Christmas is drawing nearer. Well, for me, it doesn't feel like that yet, but it shall do soonish. This is a follow on from last year where we focused solely on Christmas Carols, where Hark, the Herald Angels Sing won the contest. Anyway, this thread allows you to nominate your favourite Christmas songs (rock, pop, classical, hymns) to go into the "It's A Knockout" contest to select DM's favourite Christmas Song. And below is what you need to do!

Between now and TUESDAY 8TH DECEMBER 2009, nominate your favourite Christmas songs to challenge for the title of DM's favourite Christmas Song. Follow the simple proforma below to get a nomination in. Name your song, explain why you have nominated it, and provide a YouTube clip (or similar) of the song.

[u][b]Christmas Song:[/b][/u] 
[u][b]Reason for Nomination:[/b][/u] 
[u][b]YouTube (or similar link):[/b][/u] 

You can nominate more than one song. Any nomination that is seconded, i.e. Krak suggests song X and Farcrie agrees with the nomination, automatically qualifies for a place in the "It's A Knockout" contest. Otherwise, it will be done on a first come, first served basis. If there are any gaps at the end of the nomination period, I will fill in the gaps.

PLEASE NOTE: I am looking for a minimum of 8 nominations, and a maximum of 16. If we get more than 16, all the better!

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

Nominated Christmas Songs

Seconded (and with an automatic place in the "It's A Knockout" contest)

1. Carol of the Bells

2. 12 Days of Christmas by Straight No Chaser

Nominated

3. A Christmas Duel by The Hives & Cyndi Lauper

4. We need a little Christmas

5. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Manheim Steamrollers

6. Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

7. A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

8. O Holy Night by Josh Groban

9. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

10. I Believe in Father Chritmas - Greg Lake

11. Grandma got ran over by a reindeer

Additions

12. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

13. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

14. White Christmas by Bing Crosby

15. Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

16. Adeste Fideles

Christmas Song: Carol of the Bells

Reason for Nomination: A Ukrainian carol, it's one of those in the "not quite the most popular" songs at christmas, but everyone knows it. It's a very simple effective song, and it also sounds a leetle bit tension filled and ooky - although that could just be the Ukrainian style coming through.

YouTube (or similar link): This is a bell orchestra version - but I added it because it's a really cute claymation version :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW34kHnpo1g

Christmas Song: We need a little Christmas

Reason for Nomination: I love this song, it helps me to really get into the spirit when I'm feeling anything but Christmasy.  I love the version Angela Lansbury and Lucille Ball sings in Mame, but the ones on YouTube isn't very good when I ran across the Muppetts version.  Who doesn't love the Muppetts?

YouTube (or similar link) 

Christmas Song: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Manheim Steamrollers

Reason for Nomination: First of all, I love Manheim Steamrollers. They don't usually have words with the song, but they're music is tons of fun to listen to and this is one of my favorites of theirs.

YouTube (or similar link):

Christmas Song: Christmas Eve/Sarajevo (Trans-Siberian Orchestra)

Reason for Nomination: The Trans-Siberian Orchestra's best Christmas hit, Christmas Eve/Sarajevo takes the unique style of the orchestra's traditional instruments as well as modern instruments such as electric guitar. The music video also became an instant classic upon its debut.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIcwofkrS8

Christmas Song: A Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh

Reason for Nomination: It is one of my favourite festive songs. It gives one of the religious aspects of the Christmas story a slight twist, where the angel Gabriel came to give a message to the shepherds, but with a spaceship and a spaceman instead. A very clever song.

YouTube (or similar link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=sIQhXT05YeM

Christmas Song: O Holy Night by Josh Groban

Reason for Nomination: I love the sweeping music, the tender melodies, the range this song allows the singer, the lyrics are nice and meaningful, and it sounds very wintery.  It always manages to calm me down and get me in the holiday spirit.  Also Josh Groban fulfills everything this song can be; his voice is simply beautiful.

Christmas Song: Fairytale of New York by The Pogues with Kirsty McColl

Reason for Nomination: This isn't a Christmas song at all, really. In fact, it's not even a happy song... it's terribly depressing. BUT, it is a brilliant, brilliant song that doesn't get played at any other time of year. Shane McGowen is a genius songwriter who captures the failed hopes and relationship of a couple on the edge of society. And, for many younger Irish people, Christmas doesn't start until they hear this song for the first time. It's usually sung at drunken sing-songs, but the lyrics and melody can bring a sneaky tear to the eye if you're not careful.

Three of my favourite songs have gone already, lol. So this is another (yes I like a lot)

Christmas Song: I believe in Father Chritmas - Greg Lake

Reason for Nomination: I actually find this song quite sad. A lost childhood, when you realise the world isn't so magical as you had been told. The tune is nice and cheery but the actual words are quite cynical. And yes I still believe in Father Christmas :P

YouTube (or similar link):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOfXumI18A&feature=related

Christmas Song: The Hives & Cyndi Lauper - A Christmas Duel

Reason for Nomination: Draws on the same christmas spirit as Fairytale Of New York, with Howlin' Pelle managing a sneer that Joey Ramone would have been proud of, and Cyndi Lauper is pure awesome.

You have about an hour to go to nomninate songs before I get the "It's A Knockout" thread up, along with a re-run of last year's "It's A Knockout" contest for Christmas Carols to see if Hark! The Herald Angels Sing can maintain its crown!

The above 11 songs have qualified, as well as:

12. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard

13. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea

14. White Christmas by Bing Crosby

15. Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade

16. Adeste Fideles

Archived