DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Throughout The Series...Which Three Forsaken...Have You Been Most Interested In?

The Fisher King

Hah, im actually kinda glad that the whole sex thing isn't shoved in our faces in this series. I live in a world were sex is just thrown around constantly, everytime you listen to the radio, tv, movies and so forth. When I read I like to take a break from how skanky the world has become lol.

I TOTALLY AM WITH YOU ON THAT!!! Truly they only need the three of them to carry the load I wasn't saying I wanted more because I think it is perfect, and the reasons why each is the way they are totally broadens the character and gives us insight, just wondering why there isn't more balance.  Well I take that back, Min is a light server and she is a little sex monster...hahahaha yay ratio preserved.

Yeah, lol why is Berelain the only Light Server that is given super huge sex drive and appeal. Sure there are all of the ladies w/ big breasts, every woman just about in Randland is fairly busty, but the super sex driven ones are 1 Light serving lady in Berelain and two lady forsaken in Lanfear/Cyndane, and Graendal, then of course we have lady bodied male minded Aran'gar repping forsaken sexy too but that is seriously funny and wierd too...hahaha WAY OFF TOPIC SORRY!
So a woman who has had sex with two men if I recall correctly, has a super sex drive? Why not Tylin?

Dude I completely forgot about Tylin okay cool so now we got Berelain, Min and Tylin (even though she's dead) for the light and that evens it out a little more.  I didn't really mean sex drive but she is a super sex tease.  I didn't say she was a whore or anything because none of them except for Graendal and Tylin are copulating all the time, and yes we never see graendal doin it but she is...lol

Well, I'm a little new and didn't think about the kiddies, sorry, however...

The white tower is just a giant lez party when the girls are in training, and i agree with MR Ares. Tylin is boredline Dominatrix

Someone posts this and I'm the bad guy? Seriously?

Well, I'm a little new and didn't think about the kiddies, sorry, however...

The white tower is just a giant lez party when the girls are in training, and i agree with MR Ares. Tylin is boredline Dominatrix

Someone posts this and I'm the bad guy? Seriously?

Your not the bad guy at all my friend...lol and as for that guy, well Its tough not to find something completely offensive that he writes about subjects or to other posters so its best to disregard them...God knows I try but I get sucked in by the evil on multiple occasions...lol  I think he should change his name to Padan Fain or Mordeth cuz he's bringin everyone down to the dumps where he lives and making us all on edge and insane...lol

I dunno I think at some point he and I should bury the hatchet but i'm not the only one he attacks so maybe when some reform comes....hahahahahahahaha Whaddaya say Vulgir, lets keep everything positive and constructive on these boards.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Emu on the Loose

By far the most interesting Forsaken, to me, is Lanfear. Her desire for power is very compelling. Unlike many of you, I don't see this as a character flaw or a mark of villainy. Lanfear's ambition represents that part of the human condition which propels us forward, to greater heights of creation and achievement. Without people like her we would be a short-sighted, uncreative species whose only future is "more of the same" until the day some big asteroid comes along and ends it all. Indeed, in the WoT universe Lanfear is the one who created the Bore, thus setting the stage for everything to follow. Obviously the Bore was not "change you can believe in," but, had the mystery power turned out to be a neutral power source rather than evil incarnate, imagine what her place in history could have been. Robert Jordan portrayed her ambition as hubris, alluding to the stories of Icarus and Eve. I interpret her very differently:

Lanfear is the only character in the series who isn't content to exist within the established Creator / Wheel / Dark One framework of the universe. She strives for something more than the Dark One or even the Creator can provide: self-determination. From the Classical (esp. Christian) perspective, that's a bad thing--and I <i>think</i> that's how Jordan intended it. But from the humanistic perspective, deriving from the principles of the Enlightenment, Lanfear is a paragon: She is strong-willed, willing to confront adversity. She is consistent in her philosophy, neither cowardly nor opportunistic. She is persistent, resolute, and driven. She is the only breath of fresh air against the fatalism which dominates the rest of the series. She is also a role model for sexual equality.

A lot of story value in Wheel of Time comes from the fact that here is this enormous achiever who could have been one of the great figures in history, but who instead suffers from extraordinary bad luck ("Come on Beidomon: What's the worst that could happen?"), serious personality flaws (specifically her trouble with retaining her empathy while in her pursuit of power), and incredibly foolish choices (such as swearing to the Shadow when her private world falls apart). Lanfear makes an extremely convincing villain. Her descent into evil is totally understandable, given what she went through. Also, she has never been at risk of devolving into the cartoonish evil of Forsaken like Aginor. When I first read The Dragon Reborn, her letter at the end of the book made my think that Ishamael had been just an appetizer, and that Lanfear would be the major antagonist in the series, culminating in some kind of reconciliation. Man, I could not have been more wrong! Lanfear did dominate the next two books, but not in the way I suspected, and after that she was cast aside like a spent roll of film, to languish for seven books now.

Anyhow, that's my most interesting Forsaken. Lanfear and Mat have always been my favorite characters in the series, and WoT has felt like it's been limping along on one leg ever since Lanfear dropped out of the equation.

The second most interesting Forsaken, to me, is Ishamael / Moridin. Others have done a good job of explaining why he's so compelling: Basically, he's the only Forsaken who actually gets what the Dark One is trying to do. And he believes in it. (At the very least, he believes in its logic and infallibility.) He's an honest evil, which makes him at once terrifying and deliciously interesting. I wish he and Rand had many more scenes together.

The third most interesting Forsaken, to me...now that's a much harder question to answer. I love what somebody said upthread about Semirhage, the most sadistic of the Forsaken, whose cruelty is emphasized by its absence when she attends meetings and does mundane stuff like knitting. I'm also a fan of Asmodean, who seems like a kid who made a stupid choice and knew it the moment he did it, but was never able to become a better person and confront his mistakes. Instead he let himself be dragged along into stupendous evil, essentially betraying himself as deeply as is possible for a person to do. He was an unhappy fellow who met an unhappy end...at the hands of...?! Graendal is another favorite of mine. I admit I appreciated when RJ threw us a bone and wrote a female lead character who could be both plump and sexy, which must have been very hard for him to do since Graendal is about the only one. But, far more than her looks, I admire her cold competence; I agree with the person who said she is the most competent Forsaken. I also like the idea that she got so disgusted with humanity that she turned into everything she hated: indulgent, decadent, depraved. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Lastly, I agree with what someone said about Mesaana having become much more interesting since she was subjected to rape by the DO's own proxy. That was monstrously cruel--I almost can't believe Jordan had the brass to write that--and it instantly humanized her. Also, where Asmo and Messy are concerned, I've got a thing for the "underrated" Forsaken. I think both of them are seriously underrated by fans.

Between these choices, I would have to say that Mesaana is the third most interesting Forsaken to me at this point in time (between TGS and ToM), but for more of the series I think Graendal had the edge.

I adore Ishamael, Asmodean and Moridin.

Ok the 1st and the 3rd are the same, but we can consider them as 2 different Forsaken.

I adore Asmo even if he didn't do anything, but i'd liked to see him more. I thought he would have become a great friend of Rand, converted to the Light but unfortunately he had a bad end *sigh*

I still hope he'll come back someway but i know it's impossible, he's dead dead  :'(

Archived