DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Some thoughts on Rands death.

Pug

"Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth.

Red on black, the Dragon’s blood stains the rock of Shayol Ghul.

In the Pit of Doom shall his blood free men from the Shadow."

"His blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul,

washing away the Shadow, sacrifice for man’s salvation."

For the world to be free of the Shadow Rand's blood needs to be "stain" the rocks of Shaylo Ghul. He also needs to have shed blood in the pit of Doom. Once this is done the world will be free of the Shadow, maybe even that would mean that The Last Battle is over.

"Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed.

Once for mourning, once for birth."

Rand dies his blood is shed, Then maybe he is resurrected is at peace and is one within himself, something like that for being born again.

Anyway just some random thoughts of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

You are making the assumption that his blood means from his body. 

Aviendha is pregnant.  Elayne is Pregnant.  Heck, min might be and not realize it yet.  His bloodline is in danger.  I always thought that would be the most interesting case personally and also the most tragic of them all.

There would be a certain symmetry to Aviendha dying on Shayogul.  Think of where the Dragon was born.  Where it all startred... Who is Mother was...

*Shakes his head* I'd hate to see it but it would make a whole lot of sense in the darkest of ways.

Feel free to correct me but in any one case has it directly referred to the Dragon himself having to die?

I dont think the prophecies say he will die outright do they? But then theres things like the Finns saying "to live you must die" and Nicolas foretelling of "he who is dead yet lives."

"His blood" on the rocks adds up with "Andoran royal line being the key" but if it means any of Rands kids I wont be impressed.

Hrmm, reading that one quote leads me onto a different path of thought.

*Sighs*

Finns saying "to live you must die" and Nicolas foretelling of "he who is dead yet lives."

After Reading the last book something puzzled me until seeing that quote.  What might be the "missing" thing which made the patch not work because it was tied to Saidin thus the backlash was accomplished.  LTT could be the conduit I suppose.  I mean, he ("he who is dead yet lives.")has this half life existence as it is through Rand.  Something we still don't understand.

Sorry, Rambling now.  My thought being this: "to live you must die" Is it Rand or LTT being addressed I agree that it is probably Rand.  "he who is dead yet lives."  Seems that's a definite reference to LTT.  LTT could be the tie to the "Other side" I forgot the wording in the book. LTT gets sacrificed to seal the Dark One away.

My apologies for the confused mumblings.  I guess I should have saved this for after I've carefully read the book rather then blew through it to find out what's at the end.

Ok, back on topic again.  I'm not sure how the Andoran line is the key to this in any form other then who is mother was.  I think it's his blood that matters and the key to that is what's in his veins or in his kids.  Anything before that isn't relevant beyond the parallels one could draw on to the similarities to his birth.  All that being said, I'm only opening up a possibility and it's, self admittedly, a far fetched one.

"Twice dawns the day when his blood is shed. Once for mourning, once for birth."  This quote is what bothered me when we found out about the twins. This could easily refer to the birth of his kids and the death of himself.  Yet, it can mean something else too.

Anyway, I haven't given the last book a thorough reading.  I, like most of you, blew through it to find out everything I could as fast as I could.  Now it's time to reread it and look for the Easter eggs.

You are making the assumption that his blood means from his body. 

It is called The Prophecies of THE Dragon, so could very well mean him. Now even his children whenever they come into the picture are not him.

Now after reading the posts I must say that I like the one by Lost Servant, for I never thought that it could be LTT, and it makes a lot of sense.

Anyone else reckon the "twice dawns the day" bit will be an eclipse?

I was thinking about this, and while an eclipse would satisfy profecy and tie in with all the parallels to Jesus, i am more in favour as reading it as two seperate days when his blood will be spilt, presumably in quick succession. This opens up the posibility that he is wounded in one day of the fighting, bring the fight right into the pit, then gets out when done and bleeds out on the rocks again, on the next day.

Depends how long he can last with a fatal wound.

Also possibly he AND a child of his are injured/die on the mountain.

Has no1 thought of Galad, his half brother, as being his blood? Maybe the two men die there on seperate days?

A number of threads discussed this prophecy.

mourning, that could mean either of these:

-before noon (literal sunrise)

-weeping (people weeping at his death)

birth, that could point to a number of things:

-world being like reborn (geographical change)

-mankind's salvation (spiritual rebirth)

-his offspring being born on same day (possibly at same location)

-his resurrection

-an eclipse

blood, that also could point to a number of things:

-himself

-a relative

-maybe a lover and/or spouse

-his offspring

The last line seems to indicate some kind of salvation.

A number of threads discussed this prophecy.

mourning, that could mean either of these:

[glow=red,2,300]-before noon (literal sunrise)[/glow]

-weeping (people weeping at his death)

[...]

blood, that also could point to a number of things:

-himself

-a relative

[glow=red,2,300]-maybe a lover and/or spouse[/glow]

-his offspring

The last line seems to indicate some kind of salvation.

I hope for the sake of the language that these books are originally published in that it was Americans* that came up with 'mourning' meaning sunrise/before noon. Please that is spelt 'morning' (no u ). I'm no Mr. spelling-b, but for goodness sake, they are two completely diferent things.

Also his blood - a lover/spouse? Was there a blood transfusion we weren't told about or something?

*This is obviously a somewhat racist statement, but they (you) do spell a few things more phonetically than the original english spellings, it isn't a great leap of the imagination that you might take 'mourning' to mean the same as 'morning'. Please note I am not a bigot. =D

Archived