DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

There's always a bigger fish

JenniferL

Something that struck me as I'm doing my reread of the later books in the series, is that Jordan goes to great lengths to keep his main characters humble (or at least TOO prideful), with the exception of Rand.

Case in point: Nynaeve. All through the earlier books, we hear about her potential, about how she's the strongest channeler in a thousand years. We see her match one of the weaker Forsaken. She is Bad Ass. We discover that the Aes Sedai hierarchy is based on strength, which means nearly every sister must defer to her. The only people she MUST defer to are Egwene, her lawful Amyrlin, and the Head of the Yellow Ajah. She also defers to Rand in a way, but everyone does. Then just as she starts to feel a bit smug and get comfortable, along comes Alivia, the freed damane who outclasses Nynaeve the way Nynaeve outclasses everyone else.

I recall the first time I read this being a little annoyed that someone out-awesomed Our Girl. I mean, come on, Nynaeve is a major protagonist, one of the lead characters. Why on earth should anyone, except maybe one of the bad guys, be more bad ass than she is? But on looking again, I realize that this is Jordan's way of keeping Nynaeve from becoming TOO bad ass, too prideful. There's always going to be someone bigger or stronger or more powerful than you, there is no upper limits to anything.

I kinda like that he did this now.

Nynaeve really cares about people. She has courage and will-power. That will-power works both ways. Some may see her as too stubborn. She probably is, sometimes. The rest of the time it's a good quality. People aren't perfect. We all have flaws, or at least qualities that can be seen as flaws. It's certainly useful to have a lot of will-power if you live in times as troubled as the one described in WoT.

So, no, Nynaeve's personality doesn't bother me.

Nynaeve is one of the few female characters I can stand in the series. I guess you are right about your theory but I have never felt any of that negativity of superiority from Nynaeve. I mean, she is like she always was to me, nothing has changed about her since leaving that village, she is simply doing what she set out to do in the first place, helping out her people and I also find her way more reasonable than Egwene, Elayne, etc.

I agree--and even Rand had his equals--I remember being distinctly displeased the first time reading the formation of the Black Tower--Rand was suddenly less specialy, and Logain serves as a backup of that.

In the long run though I think it makes it more interesting--the characters are forced to be awesome for themselves instead of for their born abilities. Nynaeve, for instance, I think is growing to be the next Cadsuane.

Agreed, this feels like the inversion of another thread about the One Power being cheap. Jordan likes to keep it real- some people are stronger than others. At the end of the day, my favorite scenes are still the ones where none or almost no channelling occurs at all. These characters should be defined by their choices, and what is important to them, not on how many buildings they can set aflame before passing out.

Exactly, Kathana Trevalaer. The reason I like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is because it's very realistic although it's a science fiction world.

Nynaeve is a prime example. She's no longer the most powerful and she's not even the best healer anymore (it's said to be one of the Wise Women, Sumeko I think). However I do think she will become one of the most important if not "strongest" Aes Sedai. I never really thought about her being the next Cadsuane but now I really think that is likely.

Nynaeve really cares about people. She has courage and will-power. That will-power works both ways. Some may see her as too stubborn. She probably is, sometimes. The rest of the time it's a good quality. People aren't perfect. We all have flaws, or at least qualities that can be seen as flaws. It's certainly useful to have a lot of will-power if you live in times as troubled as the one described in WoT.

So, no, Nynaeve's personality doesn't bother me.

The same good stubborness she rails against  men for having?

Nynaeve is the new Cadsuane, and for that I like her. She's not embroiled in some Aes Sedai civil war when Rand needs her most, she's with Rand.

I suppose your right on that count; she really does just care about Rand for Rand, not for him being the Dragon, but i dont like Cadsuane, either.  :D

Agreed, this feels like the inversion of another thread about the One Power being cheap. Jordan likes to keep it real- some people are stronger than others. At the end of the day, my favorite scenes are still the ones where none or almost no channelling occurs at all. These characters should be defined by their choices, and what is important to them, not on how many buildings they can set aflame before passing out.

WHAT!!!  :o  Channeling is probably the most awesome part of the series! I love magic battles in any fantasy series, but especially this one because it is so well-thought out and planned.

I agree--and even Rand had his equals--I remember being distinctly displeased the first time reading the formation of the Black Tower--Rand was suddenly less specialy, and Logain serves as a backup of that.

The Black Tower is awesome! I always wanted Rand to establish something like that so that men can finally be equal with women.

Exactly, Kathana Trevalaer. The reason I like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is because it's very realistic although it's a science fiction world.

Nynaeve is a prime example. She's no longer the most powerful and she's not even the best healer anymore (it's said to be one of the Wise Women, Sumeko I think). However I do think she will become one of the most important if not "strongest" Aes Sedai. I never really thought about her being the next Cadsuane but now I really think that is likely.

Sumeko is one of the Aes Sedai that follow Cadsuane and Cadsuane says Sumeko is the best healer but then she hasn't met Nynaeve so her opinion regarding Nynaeve is flawed. I guess Flinn might be put on the same level as Nynaeve or perhaps better, and he definetly kicked Sumekos ass when he healed Rand's wound.

Sumeko is one of the Aes Sedai that follow Cadsuane and Cadsuane says Sumeko is the best healer but then she hasn't met Nynaeve so her opinion regarding Nynaeve is flawed. I guess Flinn might be put on the same level as Nynaeve or perhaps better, and he definetly kicked Sumekos ass when he healed Rand's wound.

Actually Sumeko is one of the Kin, and is directly suggested to be even better at healing than Nynaeve, as Muad Cheade suggested. You are thinking of Samitsu, who is the yellow Cadsuane stated to be one of the best at healing.

• Community Administrator

Nynaeve has always been my favorite female character.  I can see how a lot of people are annoyed by her behavior and attitude, but you need to look at what made her the way she is.

She was given so much authority and resposibility at such an early age.  She, in her early twenties, was giving orders to older men and women.  She had the whole village to look after.  Having that kind of duty so young would make anyone strong-willed.  I think it's a positive quiality; how many others would have broken under the strain of all that responsibility?  Nynaeve has her flaws, I'll admit, but she also has so many good points about her.

~Mashiara

Actually Sumeko is one of the Kin, and is directly suggested to be even better at healing than Nynaeve, as Muad Cheade suggested. You are thinking of Samitsu, who is the yellow Cadsuane stated to be one of the best at healing.

Ah yes, my bad.

Nynaeve's biggest character flaw, aside from her legendary temper, is her lack of self awareness. She really doesn't know how she comes off to others. In her head, she's the sweetest, most reasonable thing ever. It's not an uncommon flaw for people, but it's one of the most aggravating to deal with.

It is a trait common among people, i suppose that i am incredibly annoying and frustrating to people around me, but i could be over-exaggerating how people actually feel about me. It is hard to know, deep down, what people feel about you.

I still dont like her.

Archived