DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Setalle Anan - Martine Janata of the Brown Ajah

yellie1107

from Lord of Chaos pg. 688 ( hardcover )

When he reached for saidin, the invisible barrier was still there, but it no longer seemed stone or brick. It gave as he pressed, bending under his pressure, bending, bending. Suddenly it tore apart like rotted cloth. The Power filled him, and as it did, he seized at those three soft points, crushing them ruthlessly in fists of Spirit.

and a little further down the page,

Two (Aes Sedai) lay on the ground near him, apparently unconscious, one with a nasty gash bleeding across her forehead. The third, an angular woman, was on her knees staring at nothing, clutching her head in both hands and screaming. She seemed untouched by all the splinters and pieces of the chest. He did not recognize any of them. An instant of regret it was not Galina or Erian he had stilled--he was not sure he intended to do that; Lews Therin had gone on at length about how he intended to sever every one of them who had imprisoned him; Rand hoped it had been his own idea, however hasty

Rand, with Asmodean's teaching, and Lews Therin in his head, knows what he did. Not an off hand description, he severed them.

Stilling, gentling, and being burned out are all the same thing. In the Age of Legends, they only had one word for it, "severing." What we've seen is that there are different methods of doing it with different effectiveness. Whether it was crushed or sliced, it's the same result.

It is most definitely not the same thing. The fact that burned out women cannot sense the True Source proves it. There is a mechanical difference in the two.

How that affects whether or not burning out can be Healed is a different matter entirely, but there is a difference.

Stilling, gentling, and being burned out are all the same thing. In the Age of Legends, they only had one word for it, "severing." What we've seen is that there are different methods of doing it with different effectiveness. Whether it was crushed or sliced, it's the same result.

I think however it is done it produces the same result i.e. not being able to touch the source, however I wonder if the way it is done has some bearing on whether or not some-one is able to be healed. A similar analogy would be the difference between a rough cut (burning out), like from an accident and a surgical incision (stilling). the result is the same i.e. a wound that will bleed ect. But it is much harder to close up the rough wound without scarring than it is form a surgical wound. Prehaps being burned out reduces the effectivness of being healed or prevents healing alltogether.  If this is true then maybe Aes Sedai would not be able to heal burning out at all, although prehaps an Ashaman may have some degree of sucess 

stilling is having the connection cut, burntout is the accidental loss  and stilling is often used as a blanket term for both. that is because there hasn't been any research done to find out if there was a differance.

the fact that AoL called stilling / burning out / genting  severing doesn't mean much. since they didn't think it could be healed, i doubt they researched it much either.

than you have the a'dam: Siuan a stilled woman senses the emotions of Moghie and moves, causes no reaction. Setalle a burned out woman doesn't apparently sense emotions moves, causes a reaction. the only known way a damane gets that reaction is if she attempts to move her bracelet from where the sul'dam last placed it.

there are differances in stilling and burning out so i would guess there might be a differance if burning out can be healed.

i often equate it with an electrical device. (stilling)cut the electric cord it won't work but u can splice a cord together and it will work. (burning out)on the other hand if it gets an electric surge it will fry it and it can't be repaired.

that is because there hasn't been any research done to find out if there was a differance.
So they use different terms for what is apparently the same thing without seeing whether or not there are any differences? When we know there is one, which is referred to in the books?

i doubt they researched it much either.
I expect they did research it, just without any success. If there was a problem, people would try and solve it.

than you have the a'dam: Siuan a stilled woman senses the emotions of Moghie and moves, causes no reaction. Setalle a burned out woman doesn't apparently sense emotions moves, causes a reaction. the only known way a damane gets that reaction is if she attempts to move her bracelet from where the sul'dam last placed it.
Due to differences in the a'dam. Moghedien's grants her freedom of movement, the Seanchan one doesn't.

Archived