A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stargate Universe - SyFy - Fri 9pm est

Emperor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Community Administrator

I think I saw this show a few years back.

Star Trek: Voyager. :P

Which would make Atlantis more or less DS9.  ;D

Uggh. Why do I want to both disagree and agree with this?

Stargate The orginal Movie (Awesome!) - Star Trek: The orginal Series.

Stargate: SG1 - Startrek: The Next Generation. (Argueably which is better. We all loved the orginal, but we also love the new kid on the block!

Stargate: Atlantis - Startrek: Deep Space Nine  (Not horrible, but not nearly as good as the SG1/TNG)

Stargate: Universe - Startrek: Voyager (For most Trekkies they say this is where the series went down hill. It went from Gene Roddenbery, "to mr.emo I hate life guy with blue hair and I want to ruin things to make them hip and emo." Though quite honestly, I enjoyed Voyager. Not as much as TNG, and if I had to wait 1 week between each episode I would have said 'screw that'.)

Stargate - Startrek: Enterprise (you know its going to happen. Every series, movies with trilogies, they are constantly now days, making the 4th title/series with the name of the orginal, just to confuse people. "Like fast and the furious..." Also, Enterprised sucked. It sucked so bad, Its not even worth watching on a marathon. After the 2nd one your going /yaawwwn. Not to mention how they butchered history... So does this mean, Stargates, "enterprise" is going to be inovling the 'ancients war'?

• Community Administrator

So does this mean, Stargates, "enterprise" is going to be inovling the 'ancients war'?

That could be so full of awesome, if properly done. Maybe that is what they are aving the Furlings for ;D

It could be, but you forget, Enterprise is so sucky, so boring, and rips canon apart! ;)

A little spoilerish... skip to the bottom for snap reviews by the big wigs...

Staring at "Stargate SGU," one senses the folks at Syfy approached the guys who made “Stargate Atlantis” with this pitch: “‘Battlestar Galactica’ is easily the least crappy thing on the channel, but Ron Moore is one pricey writer-producer. You think you could maybe make something like that ‘Galactica’ show? The critics sure do seem to like it a lot better than your Stargate series!”

And so, I imagine, the “Stargate” guys came up with “SGU,” which (in its pilot at least) has “BSG”-like lighting and “BSG”-like music and "BSG"-like outer-space CGI camerawork and doesn’t seem to boast any actors with appliances slapped on their foreheads pretending to be extraterrestrials. Plus they got to hire Lou Diamond Phillips, a three-named actor who worked with Edward James Olmos on “Stand and Deliver.”

The series follows a group of military, political and science types who find themselves forced to escape what looks like a Cylon sneak attack by jumping through a special stargate – a stargate that connects only to an ancient starship in another galaxy far far away. The Cylon-like attack wrecks the special stargate and everybody’s trapped on the highly dilapidated and impossibly old space vessel.

Just as it took a little time to figure out that secretary of education Laura Roslin was now president of the BSG colonies, it takes some bickering to figure out who reports to whom when there’s military men and a senator and a high-ranking bureaucrat all tumbling though the one-way wormhole. There’s also a British superscientist played by Robert Carlyle who’s nowhere near as interesting or fun as Gaius Baltar. None of this, in fact, is terrifically compelling.

While there’s promise in the premise, the “Stargate” writers don’t demonstrate any more faculty for crafting thought-provoking drama or complex characters than they did on their old “Stargate” shows. There’s a lot of schlocky shouting for the politicians and the soldiers and a lot of unfunny shtick for the chubby civilian genius who gets trapped with the more experienced gate-jumpers. Take away the Galactican pretensions and it all seems no better or worse than the “Stargate” shows Syfy cancelled to make room for this one.

USA Today says:

… may not start fresh, but it does start over. … The cast (including Ming-Na, Louis Ferreira and Brian J. Smith) is good and the concept is a proven winner. And given how long these Stargates tend to stay open, the show certainly has time to improve. …

The New York Times says:

… People come hurtling toward us through a stargate in quick succession, crashing on top of one another in a bloody scrum. We don’t know where they’ve been or where they’re arriving. The answers follow in a series of flashbacks that sap most of the momentum of that nifty opening. … All this stress affords abundant opportunities for the overacting that characterizes “Universe,” as it does most large-cast cable dramas. …

The Chicago Tribune says:

… I've now seen five hours of the show and still don't feel all that invested in the the fate of 1st Lt. Matthew Scott (Brian J. Smith). Theoretically, I should -- he's one of the show's lead characters. Two characters do stand out … but the rest of "Universe" feels like an awkward mishmash of genres and tones. Though I had been cautiously looking forward to another iteration of the "Stargate" franchise, at this point I'm not sure its creators are taking Scott and his fellow survivors anywhere interesting.

The Washington Post says:

… Two things strike me, beyond "Stargate Universe's" stiffened pace: the predictability of the action and the characters, and the apparent tolerance for borrowing that the sci-fi genre treats as a matter of course. Plagiarism is the notable rhetoric, down to how things look in space and what people out there ever say to one another. What, exactly, gives "Stargate Universe" the right to beam its heroes from ship to surface the way "Star Trek" does? Why, except for budget and/or lack of imagination, do the interiors of the enormous starcruiser here bring to mind the dank hallways of "Alien" and the neo-brutalism of George Lucas's "Star Wars," with LED-bulb gizmo decor from "Star Trek" and "Battlestar Galactica"? …

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says:

… begins with both promise and some hokey crutches. And then in next week's episode, the show gets lost in the desert -- literally.…

The Boston Globe says:

… quite a bit of this series feels like “Lost’’ in space, and it is - early “Lost,’’ before things got all Others-y and time-travel-bogged, when it was largely about unlocking characters’ mysteries and playing with grand themes. “Stargate Universe’’ isn’t quite so ambitious, but it’s intriguing in its way, down to the ship, bathed in blue light, that emerges as a character in its own right. The ship is more interesting thus far, alas, than any of the female characters, but perhaps that will change over time. As “Battlestar Galactica’’ proved not long ago, deep mythology is much more fun if it surrounds a lot of complicated people. …

The Hollywood Reporter says:

… The series is competently produced and has all the cinematic bells and whistles you would expect from a member of the "Stargate" family. But if it is to be more than that -- if it is to establish itself as an intelligent drama that, for example, explores the military-civilian dynamic -- it has light years to go. … True, "Stargate" fans likely will climb aboard this spaceship. But if this series is ever to really take off and become stellar, it will need more surprising stories and more intellectually challenging drama.

Variety says:

… a plodding two-hour opener that does little but explain the circumstances of the series, none of which are that complicated. The opener also introduces the cast, none of whom are that complicated, either. …

Ok, caught it online. Interesting enough to hold my attention for another couple episodes.

The Rush guy is pretty smarmy though I don't think there's any true bad intentions. Just perhaps he puts discovery ahead of people at certain times. Plus I could soft of understand why he decided to do what he did a few times.

It was a bit... empty. They tried for the harsh reality of BSG, and didn't quite get there, and in doing so they sacrificied the quirkiness that made SG1 and SGA such cult hits.

I really don't see this going anywhere.

I liked it! The gratuitous sex scene made me roll my eyes a bit, seemed like they were trying to hard to sell it as gritty and I predicted the Senator would die (though not in sacrifice for others, I mean...he's a representative from California! >.>). That's good for me, I don't guess these things as quickly as some of the rest of you. No favorite characters though.

Bland and predictable. When I want to watch a military SF show about a bunch of military guys, a politician and an underhanded British scientist genius with an agenda, who have to flee in a panic from an attack, aboard a leaky bucket of a ship careering through hostile space far from home ... I'll fire up some Battlestar Galactica. Then I can enjoy characters who at least have two dimensions. ::)

(I actually found Rush painful to watch. He's such a shameless Baltar ripoff, and yet has none of the fun. I was pining for Baltar.)

Rip off yet he wasn't the same... hmmmm.... ;D

As someone who thought the Original BSG had infinite more merits than the new "BSG" (in qoutes as it's not even worthy of the name ;D ), I didn't want to see the new SG go that way, in fact, that was my biggest fear coming into the show. For now, I'm feeling ok with it. Though all the previews showed it in a BSG light, it's really not that close, or rather far enough away to not bug the crap out of me. ;D

I'm going to give it some time, they have writers who have been doing the other Stargates for years, they need to get into the new groove, the new ideas, and find their swing dharma with the show. As for the sex scene... SGU is STILL a family show... like the rest were since BEFORE 'Children of the Gods' (which yes, had nudity, but not because the makers wanted it, the network wanted it). They aren't going to go very far with it I think. They'll be a bit more open about it sure, but that's about it.

As someone who thought the Original BSG had infinite more merits than the new "BSG" (in qoutes as it's not even worthy of the name Grin ), I didn't want to see the new SG go that way, in fact, that was my biggest fear coming into the show.

Finally another person who hates PoCG (Piece of Crap Galactica) as much as I do!!! I felt so lonely.  Even my own brother turned on me and watched PoCG.

I loved SG-1 up to Season 8, and couldn't stand watching Atlantis.  And I have never seen BSG, so I don't know what people are saying about Cylon attack.  It looked rather Goa'uld-ish to me. *shrug*

SGU doesn't have me yet, but they have a chance.  I'm willing to see what they do with it.

As someone who thought the Original BSG had infinite more merits than the new "BSG" (in qoutes as it's not even worthy of the name Grin ), I didn't want to see the new SG go that way, in fact, that was my biggest fear coming into the show.

Finally another person who hates PoCG (Piece of Crap Galactica) as much as I do!!! I felt so lonely.  Even my own brother turned on me and watched PoCG.

Even without the comparison to the original BSG... I couldn't stand the new one. All it was was shock factor and "how can we screw our characters emotionally today? HAHA" :P

Archived