DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

One Hit Wonders - It's A Knockout (Winner: Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas)

Corki

After last month's successful "It's A Knockout", which focused on songs by Michael Jackson, the thread continues this month, focusing on August's theme of "One Hit Wonders". The winner of the Michael Jackson "It's A Knockout" was Thriller, which beat Beat It in the Final.

"It's A Knockout" continues with the longer format this month - and this means there are 16 songs instead of 8! The theme for August's "Tune or No Tune" has been "One Hit Wonders", and we are continuing this. I will do my best to pick songs that have been one hit wonders, but it is a murky area! Have fun!

"It's a Knockout" - Format

For those of you who have not been involved with a "It's A Knockout" thread before, the rules are quite simple. The Band of the Red Hand is DM's travel and music ORG, and "It's a Knockout" is a knock out competition to find out the winner of the chosen category (past categories include Best Selling Single of 2008, Favourite Christmas Carol). Each day, 2 songs will be posted, along with a link so you can listen to the song if you do not know it, and all you have to do is post which is your favourite song of the two. After a day, the votes will be counted, and the winning song will progress to the next round, until we only have 1 song left as the winner at the end of the competition. It's very simple, so I look forward to seeing you getting involved!

So without further a-do, let the competition begin!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESULTS

Round 1

1. Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrmann beat It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls (4-0)

2. Spirit in the Sky by Doctor and the Medics lost to The Final Countdown by Europe (1-2)

3. Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of…) by Lou Bega lost to 99 Red Ballons by Nena (2-3)

4. Spaceman by Babylon Zoo lost to Mad World by Michael Andrew featuring Gary Jules (2-3)

5. Fire by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown beat Sugar Sugar by The Archies (4-0)

6. The One and Only by Chesney Hawkes lost to I'm The Urban Spaceman by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (2-3)

7. Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas beat All By Myself by Eric Carmen (7-0)

8. Because I Got High by Afroman lost to Eye of the Tiger by Survivor (1-7)

2nd Round

1. Mad World by Michael Andrew featuring Gary Jules lost to Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas (4-5)

2. The Final Countdown by Europe beat Fire by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (4-2)

3. I'm The Urban Spaceman by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band beat Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrmann (5-1)

4. Eye of the Tiger by Survivor beat 99 Red Ballons by Nena (5-2)

Semi-Final

1. Eye of the Tiger by Survivor beat The Final Countdown by Europe (4-2)

2. Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas beat I'm The Urban Spaceman by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (4-1)

3rd/4th Play-off

1. The Final Countdown by Europe beat I'm The Urban Spaceman by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (7-1)

Final

1. Eye of the Tiger by Survivor lost to Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas (3-4)

THE CHOSEN SONGS

1. Mad World by Michael Andrew featuring Gary Jules

The original was by Tears for Fears. However, a slower, ballady version of the song made it more popular. This was done by Michael Andrew and Gary Jules, and featured on the film soundtrack for Donnie Darko. It was also the Christmas number 1 in the UK in 2003.

2. Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas

Released in 1974, this is probably one of the greatest "One Hit Wonders" ever, with the song featuring in many lists on the topic. The song also is famous for its use of the quintessential Oriental Riff, a short musical phrase that is used to signify Chinese culture. This is just pure fun, and an absolute classic!

3. It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls

Despite a host of famous names being offered the song, it was the Weather Girls who took it to worldwide success. Instantly recognisable, it reached number 1 in the US Dance Charts and number 2 in the UK. Gerri Halliwell's (of the Spice Girls) version achieved greater success. It's a feel good song from the 80s, and always gets people up and dancing.

4. Fire by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Released in 1968, this is an example of the psychedelic rock of the period, but the lack of guitars distinguishes it from many of its contemporaries. During live performances and in the black and white promotional television clip, Brown performed the song wearing a burning helmet. It reached number 1 in the UK, and charted well in the US, reaching number 2.

5. Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrmann

A very interesting song. Released in 1999, it reached number 1 in the UK, thanks to a campaign by Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles. The song is the essay written by Mary Schmich in 1997, and the vocals are by Lee Perry. A very clever song with the vocals set over a mellow backing track which features on Baz Luhrmann's film Romeo + Juliet.

6. I'm The Urban Spaceman by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

Firstly, what an awesome name for a group. Secondly, the song reached number 5 in the UK charts in 1968. The song was produced by Sir Paul McCartney and written by Neil Innes, who won the 1968 Ivor Novello Award.

7. Spirit in the Sky by Doctor and the Medics

3 different artists have gotten this song to number 1 in the UK charts. Despite lyrics relating to the afterlife and Jesus, it has no particular religious intentions. The song is also considered a precursor to the sound of early-70s British glam rock pioneers in numerous respects.

8. 99 Red Ballons by Nena

Originally sung in German under the title 99 Luftballons, this is a Cold War-era protest song. Released in 1983 (and 1984), it reached number 1 in a host of countries. Both the English and German versions of the song tell a story of 99 balloons floating into the air, triggering an apocalyptic overreaction by military forces.

9. Because I Got High by Afroman

This song got nominated for a Grammy Award in 2001, where it achieved good chart success, with a number 1 in the UK and a host of other countries. It is all about how cannabis use is degrading his quality of life. Despite an obscure start, an internet and a radio show campaign led to success for the song.

10. Sugar Sugar by The Archies

A pop song written by Jeff Barry and Andy Kim, it spent 4 weeks at the top of the US charts in 1969, as well as 8 weeks in the UK. It is considered as the canonical example of the bubblegum pop musical genre.

11. The Final Countdown by Europe

A popular song across the globe, it reached number 1 in 25 different countries in 1986. Based around a keyboard rift written earlier, and lyrics from David Bowie's Space Oddity, it is an instantly recognisable song. The band had doubts about the song, but thankfully Europe's record lable decided to presuade them otherwise!

12. All By Myself by Eric Carmen

This is a power ballad from 1975, but ran into trouble with the estate of the classical composer Sergei Rachmaninoff, as the song borrow heavily from Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Opus 18. The song got reasonable success in the charts, but it was more successful for other singers later, like Frank Sinatra and Céline Dion.

13. Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of…) by Lou Bega

Originally recorded and composed by Pérez Prado in 1949, this is a mambo and jive dance song. The song's popularity was renewed when Lou Bega sampled the song. Also, cricket fans in the UK will recognise it as the opening music when Channel 4 had the cricket.

14. Spaceman by Babylon Zoo

This song went straight to number 1 in the UK in 1996. It is known for its heavily distorted guitars and metallic, robotic-sounding vocals. At the time, it also happened to be the fastest selling single by a debut artist in the UK.

15. The One and Only by Chesney Hawkes

This song spent 5 weeks at the top of the UK charts in March 1991. The song did better than the original film it appeared on - Buddy's Song. The song also was successful in the US a few months later, reaching number 10 on the US Billboard. This was down to the fact it appeared on the film Doc Hollywood, starring Micheal J. Fox. I have actually seen Chesney Hawkes DJ live - he was the headliner at my university Summer Ball a few years back. Sad, I know!

16. Eye of the Tiger by Survivor

The song was written at the request of Sylvester Stallone for the film Rocky III in 1982. It topped the US Billboard for 6 weeks, as well as reaching number 1 in the UK, Ireland and Australia. It won a Grammy Award, and was also nominated for an Academy Award. It is a popular song, with many artists covering it as well as numerous parodies.

Round 1, Tie 1

Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrmann

A very interesting song. Released in 1999, it reached number 1 in the UK, thanks to a campaign by Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles. The song is the essay written by Mary Schmich in 1997, and the vocals are by Lee Perry. A very clever song with the vocals set over a mellow backing track which features on Baz Luhrmann's film Romeo + Juliet.

vs.

It's Raining Men by The Weather Girls

Despite a host of famous names being offered the song, it was the Weather Girls who took it to worldwide success. Instantly recognisable, it reached number 1 in the US Dance Charts and number 2 in the UK. Gerri Halliwell's (of the Spice Girls) version achieved greater success. It's a feel good song from the 80s, and always gets people up and dancing.

Voting ends Thursday 13th August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Banders, Please Note:

Voting in "It's A Knockout" threads counts towards posting in an activity thread for points gained through the roll call. However, in order for that to qualify, you need to post and vote at least 4 times.

Corki

Marshal-General

ORG Leader

Strange as it might seem, the M-G is voting for Baz Luhrmann's Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen). There is just something different about it that I like. Plus it is a very clever idea.

I'm gonna go with the M-G on this one, and vote for the Baz Luhrman as well. I've seen scraps of this scattered throughout the internet for years-- parts of it really seemed to have sunk into the fabric of our culture, in a way that wouldn't be expected from a "one hit wonder"

^_^

Round 1, Tie 2

Spirit in the Sky by Doctor and the Medics

3 different artists have gotten this song to number 1 in the UK charts. Despite lyrics relating to the afterlife and Jesus, it has no particular religious intentions. The song is also considered a precursor to the sound of early-70s British glam rock pioneers in numerous respects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_trcFZLg5FU

vs.

The Final Countdown by Europe

A popular song across the globe, it reached number 1 in 25 different countries in 1986. Based around a keyboard rift written earlier, and lyrics from David Bowie's Space Oddity, it is an instantly recognisable song. The band had doubts about the song, but thankfully Europe's record lable decided to presuade them otherwise!

Voting ends Friday 14th August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 3

Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of…) by Lou Bega

Originally recorded and composed by Pérez Prado in 1949, this is a mambo and jive dance song. The song's popularity was renewed when Lou Bega sampled the song. Also, cricket fans in the UK will recognise it as the opening music when Channel 4 had the cricket.

vs.

99 Red Ballons by Nena

Originally sung in German under the title 99 Luftballons, this is a Cold War-era protest song. Released in 1983 (and 1984), it reached number 1 in a host of countries. Both the English and German versions of the song tell a story of 99 balloons floating into the air, triggering an apocalyptic overreaction by military forces.

Voting ends Saturday 15th August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

I would hardly call Europe a one-hit wonder, as they had a quite decent career, including a fairly large US-tour with the album after The Foinal Countdown.

That said, before I go on to vote on the next leg, I just had to share this, in my eyes astonishing version of the song, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1201134/

Ok, enough about Europe.

99 Luftballons (yeah, I stick with the original) is one of the best one-hit wonders of all times, and a song I have oh so many fond memories of. This is the kind of song that could be a symbol for the 80s music scene.

Archived