DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Welcome Auld Manriva!!!!

MsDanya

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad i've provided you all with a new spam thread :D .Makes my old heart go thumpity thump.

Who cares if we can,t play kick the ball around the tall guy? We'll just go get some rich robber baron to go hire some ex-pat euros and a swell coach to mumble stuff on the sideline.

Aussies, they got webs between their fingers...don't they :P

We're not on topic here soooo.Check out a book by Bernard Cornwell called "The Gallows Thief". post Waterloo England(circa 1816). A returned vet who is an ace cricket player, becomes a sort of bounty hunter but HE tries to get a condemned (unjustly) thief off. sub plot has him as a ringer cricketeer, who all these Lords bet on when he plays or somesuch.

Required reading for Banders: Cornwells' Grail Quest books. The Archers Tale,Vagabond and Heretic.13th century(Hundred years war) England and France.EXTREMELY US. Young English Longbowman signs on in France. Cavalry charges, infantry melees and ARCHERS galore. The battles scenes you can smell. End of Rant :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sounds like a good idea once I have finished my current pile of books to read! lol! Which means I need to get back to reading Malory's Morte d'Arthur...

Have you read Cornwell's Arthurian Series?? I can't remember the name of the 3 books, but I thoroughly enjoyed those!

The Warlord Chronicles..Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur..

Most excellent. Before our time, AoL maybe..5th century post Roman Britain..Arthur as he most likely was.

Again Battle scenes(multitudes) sensory feasts. Lemme clean this froth from around my mouth :shock: All the steel bangin fans'll eat this stuff up. and its not fantasy..Historical Fiction

By Jack Whyte. Its not Fantasy either. But instead about King Arthur... but the books actuall start in Roman Britan, with Merlyn's great grandfather, and Merlyn's great Uncle. It is actually an entirely plausible series about how the story could really have been... One example of the Plausibility is that Merlyn isn't a Sorceror... but it explains how he became to be thought of one... it also explains the Sword in the stone... This'll be my 11 time reading the books so.... :wink:

Exactly! Cornwells runs that way. Arthur as a warlord of which he was one of many, Merlin is a druid priest. POV is from one of Artys' men,how he rises in stature,relates to power figures. its the daily life stuff i really enjoy. Recent arthur movie was not from cornwell though, maybe Whyte?

You really should try to get Archers Tale from city library and see for yourself.1300's in europe are close in culture to RL and these battles described really happened. only the names have been...blather,blather :)

Archived