DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Demandred

Rifty

Has any one offered that Masema is being guided by Demandred?

I recall someone speculate it in some thread in the past.

It might be a possibility.

The most probable time would be Fires of Heaven (because that is the first Demandred appeared) through Path of Daggers (because Masema joined Perrin's camp near the end).

I see no reason Masema couldnt be an agent of Demandred, dealing with Suroth an agent of Semirhage.  Liandrin, a black sister controlled by Mesaana, was sent to deal with Be'lal in the plot to capture Rand.  For that matter, Liandrin sent to Suroth with Egwene and Nynaeve to be collared by the a'dam. Granted, in Lord of Chaos it is stated that Demandred, Graendal, Mesaana ect (I forget who was all included in the list, and dont have my books handy to look) had a long standing aliance.  In honesty I do remember that Semirhage was NOT part of that alliance.

Almost, but not quite.

Demandred, Mesaana and Semirhage have been allied since the War of Power.  Graendal was part of the Gang of Four who were trying to lure Rand into attacking Sammael.  After Moiraine did in Lanfear, and Rand did in Rahvin, she and Sammael were all that was left of that until Sam got himself eaten by Mashadar.  Since then, Graendal has been corralled by Moridin via Shaidar Haran, Cyndane and Moghedien.

Yes he could.  My point was that given their long association it would seem more logical for Demandred to funnel any orders for Masema through either Semirhage or Mesaana rather than deal direct.

That gives him cutouts.  Somebody else to take the fall in case the whole Masema scheme goes badly.

Again, there are a number of old men around.  I take a saidin channeler could only detect the ability to channel in another only when the other channels or seizes the source.  Assuming Flinn was just an old man before Flinn channeled, that I think is/was reasonable.

Also, linking might have effects on detecting the ability to channel.

I think if you look back to when Taim taught Rand to detect the ability to channel it could be done with only the detector channelling  :(

A man who had the ability to learn gave off a resonance whenever saidin was channeld within close proximity. This resonance could be felt only by another man, and only while he was embracing the Powerhimself. A nonchannelre, or a channelr who was not touching saidin at that moment, felt nothing The candidate himself usually also felt nothing. The testing Aes Sedai usually channeled a very tiny flame while waiting to feel the resulting resonance from the candidate. Itf he felt the 'echo', he knew the other man had the spark that meant he might be able to be trained. This usually took about ten to fifteen minutes, if the candidate was focused on the flame, or up to thirty minutes if he was not.

Found some interesting support for two different theories.

First is Demandred as King Roedran of Murandy.

KoD Ch.26

Talmanes cites Madoc Comadrin in Fog and Steel, "It is always better to kill your enemies far off than close at hand." King Roedran has two copies of the book.

Second is a completely new theory that fits well with a Mesaana theory as well as giving Demandred access to Masema.

It comes from this thread: http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,1526.216.html

5. Masema

A. Masuri and Rovair have visited Masema multiple times(CoT, Ch 5).  This in itself is not proof of much though.  Compare it to the descriptions of Mesaana's activities though:

"mobs of children destroyed anything that reflected badly on the Dark one and killed people who opposed them."

"Bands of brigands during the Breaking were known as Mesaana's Children because they destroyed everything and anything in their path, like Mesaana had taught the children in her territories to do."(quote: crash p. 1 of this topic)

Masema's rabble have been acting in a very similar manner.

B. Add to this the fact that Masema had been dealing with the Seanchan, who Semirhage was with, and you have two legs of the tripod identified.  It stands to reason that Demandred is Rovair, as he seems to be missing from Masuri's side just before Rand began using the Cooedan Kal:

CoT, Ch 7

"Her Warder was nowhere to be seen, and that had to be the Wise Ones' doing.  Rovair usually stuck to her like a burr."

So, what does everyone think?

I think whoever put that up may be on to something. That little comment about the Wise Ones thrown in under the radar...

Archived