DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[MOVIE] Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Zashara

This is what happens when you put an unknown, unproven director at the helm.  The pacing and the editing of the movie was awful.  I didn't hate this movie though.  It was alright.  It just wasn't great.  And the only reason this movie didn't fail completely is because it is based on a good book and a few of the actors put up great performances.  Much like the last movie though, this one is quickly forgotten.

I liked it.  I laughed out loud several times.  The first 10 lines out of Dumbledore's mouth at the beginning of the movie were terrible.  I was ready to walk out if it didn't get better.  Also Snape's delivery of his "oh yes, I'm the Half-Blood Prince" was bad, but he is still one of the few good actor's in the movie.  I was impressed with Malfoy and Slughorn.

Yates did a turn with the lighting.  So metaphorical and cheesy at points.  He loved to shoot a dark room illuminated with light streaming through the windows.  The biggest cheese moment was with the scene at the end where McGonnagal and the students banish the Dark mark by shooting light into the sky, absolutely hysterical

So, it wasn't bad, it was kinda good, in a way, but not excellent, at all. I felt like it couldn't quite make up it's mind as to whether it should be a teenage romantic comedy or a dark coming-of-age story, and the ending with SPOILERS NOW..

Dumbledore's death and all felt rather anticlimactic. I didn't feel the film had a real climax really, it build up for something grand and epic, and instead we get a very, very brief death scene, which was just bad. They should've made it more... epic in scale, and show us more mourning, I mean, a major friggin' character just perished! Ach! The cinematography was beautiful though. I found Malfoy to be far more interesting than Harry in this film, though. But yah, I enjoyed it for what it was, a Harry Potter movie, and not a too bad one neither. Jut not very good. 

Btw was anyone else wierded out by the fact that Luna's glasses could pierce the Hallowed invisibility cloak? I don't care if she was seeing stuff in his head or whatever, the whole point of the Hallows is that they are unbeatable. That's why it's the name of the seventh books. Rediculous.

Also--massive sexual connotations. Kind of creepy really.

ok this was my last Potter movie im paying for , ill wait for the others to come out on cable >:(

movie was ok not a flop , but im through spending money to be disappointed i'd rather be disappointed for free

looking at how much they have screwd the story so far in DH ( they have minimized / dismissed Doby an Kreacher so far , in DH how worked up are u going to be when Doby dies or if they even focus on it ), ???

when she blasts the door to Room of Req in last movie how are u going to explain that the Death Eaters cant do it in DH ( when the students are supposed to be held up in it) ::)

i agree about the cloak Luckers it is supposed to be the ultimate in stealth  :o

SPOILERS

Okay .. just watched it. And I did not like it all, less than I thought I would like it actually. It was just bad, as an adaptation and as a movie on its own. Essentially, it cut out huge chunks of the books, enough that the individual parts did not flow together as a story - that is the main gripe I had with it. There are all these "storylines" that don't connect at all. The Quidditch match just seemed out of place, there was no search for this half-blood prince. The random scenes didnt make sense - sure the knocking down of the bridge was impressive but it served no purpose within the movie (there was no explanation of the death eaters causing terror and the like).

And what happened to Nevile, Dean, Seamus, Lavender, Fenrir, Fred/George, Lupin, and all of the supporting characters. They were just reduced to cardboard personalities Fenrir was menacing, Lavender was gushy about Ron, Nevile was just in random scenes, Dean kissed Ginny once.

Emma Watson was terrible. I never liked her as Hermoine, she's too pretty and quite frankly she's meh as an actor, especially next to Radcliffe and Grint. Radcliffe was great, I'll give you that - his acting was fantastic given the crappy script and direction. I loved him when he was on the potion. I've always loved Grint's portrayal of Ron too.

The Professors ... generally great. Dumbledore was okay. McGonagall was great for her 2 lines. Snape and Slughorn were awesome. They were great to watch and fit the roles amazingly.

The real star of this was one Draco Malfoy. Felton was great at portraying the tortured Malfoy. You could see the conflict on his face, through his non-verbal cues, and in general it was stellar acting. His hair bothered me though!

Basically, I didnt like it from the get-go. WTF was Harry doing out and about like there wasn't a ton of death eaters looking for him?! And then Dumbledore randomly shows up. Yeah, thats explainable. It just gets worse from there with random things that have no explanation occurring and illogical actions.

The burning of the house was just random and stupid. The light tribute was quite cheesy. While the romance bits were funny, they took too long. There was also a lot of "artistic" nonsense going on with drawn out scenes that weren't interesting or artistic, just .... boring. I think they aimed high with the symbolism and all the dark, stylistic scenes but it just fell short and caused people to yawn instead. Dumbledore's death was indeed anti-climatic as there was no real build up to it.

I was disappointed they cut out the whole thing with the Prime Minister, the building of the fear in the Wizarding World, the search for the Half-Blood Prince, Defense against the Dark Arts, the battle at the end, and the funeral.

Overall, despite making me LOL (occasionally for the WRONG reasons) at the teen romance parts, and some impressive individual scenes (Quidditch Match, Tom Riddle stuff, the Inferi Lake, Draco, etc.), it was not impressive as a movie.

Radcliffe was great, I'll give you that - his acting was fantastic given the crappy script and direction. I loved him when he was on the potion. I've always loved Grint's portrayal of Ron too.

Are you for real?  Radcliffe was not anywhere near fantastic.  I'll give you the fact that he's improved every movie, but come on, watching his facial expressions is like watching someone's face getting stimulated by electrical impulses.  He looks like his face is spazzing out.  Also, the boy can't cry.  It's hysterical when he tries.  Grint's much better and I thought Watson was better than Radcliffe.

Also, I couldn't stand Harry on Felix Felicis.  He was supposed to be lucky, not drunk out of his mind.  I'll give you that it was funny, but a terrible portrayal of being lucky.

I think Radcliffe played an angsty little bugger pretty well honestly. Given the bad script and direction, he did fanstastic - I didnt say it was just fantastic :P. I honestly don't know how to portray being lucky aside from acting like you are completely high, but he pulled it off somehow. It was funny and I liked it. Did it make sense, maybe not so much, did Radcliffe do a good job at it - absolutely. He played the part he had well.

Archived